2D and 3D skinning with AMS and 3DSimED

So, I'm a late joiner. Recently, I was invited by some people to have a look at sim-racing. I was an avid PS2 racing gamer when I was a teen, ten, twelve years ago or so. But then I focused my life into working as a graphic designer and lost that spark. Got Automobilista because it was the choice of the group and also because it was lighter to keep in a computer already filled with work files.

Since joining this world, mostly as a curious, some weeks ago, I found a new interest. I'm learning to paint liveries. I'm still quite confused with getting PSD and DDS files. While I can deal with the first ones properly (as my work demands) and I'm learning to deal with the last ones, how they are difficult to get and edit to get the textures working right. Most of the time, my designs need to be reworked to match the DDS mesh, the lines get slightly crooked or do not fit properly when the "panels" come together. This is most common in formula cars, with lots of different parts.

With that in mind, I started to roam this website. Using some knowledge in file managing and graphic editing, I'm developing my first stuff, for myself to drive in the championships I joined. It's still kind of slovenly, but it's happening, slowly. So, it takes us to my questions:

I found this 3DsimED and downloaded it. It seems to open Assetto Corsa files properly, but don't do the same with the .VEH Automobilista files I tried. Is this software useful to AMS livery making? If yes, Is there some specific guide you can point me?

Also, since we're on this matter, can you suggest me some good mods that come with the livery template in 2D/3D PSD files? Seems that racing leagues usually release them, but since I'm a total beginner, I'm still quite lost with these details.

Thanks in Advance!

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back