27inch Triples 1080p or 1440p??

Have always played on single screen but now have moved house and now have the room for triple screens. Slightly concerned on 1440p triples about FPS i wanna kind of run at 120fps

My PC has recently been upgraded to i9 10900K and the RTX 3090

The sims i mainly play are Iracing and ACC.

Want to know what people thoughts are and what monitors to go for? (flat or curved)
And what typr of panel IPS, VA etc

thanks

I would strongly recommend going down the triple 1440p route – as with 27 inch screens you will likely have them very close to you and you will notice the reduced resolution vs 1080p.

I have got an i9900k OC’d to 4.9 and a RTX 3090 MSI Gaming X Trio and with regard to ACC with nearly everything on Epic (bar mirrors) and in race conditions I average circa 60 – 70 fps – with rain it drops by a further 4 – 5 FPS. To me this is very playable, and you can always reduce the settings to high or change the resolution scale in game dropping to say 95% or 90% to increase your fps.

ACC is the most taxing sim out there – playing on anything else (iRacing, AMS2 etc) you can easily add another 20+ fps to the averages quoted above.

If you look on YouTube and search for sim racing RTX 3090 or sim racing triple RTX 3090 there are a couple of decent videos showing benchmarks ‘NVIDIA Ampere RTX 3080 and 3090 in iRacing, ACC and F1 2020 - is it worth it?’ by Dan Suzuki and ‘1080Ti vs RTX 3090 | Do you really need to upgrade right now?’ by Dave Cam are a couple worth watching.

Upvote 0
If you're insisting on 120 fps, then you'll want 1080p for triples in ACC, even with an RTX 3090. Reminds me I need to do a review of settings required for triple 4k in ACC.

I'm in favor of IPS for panel type. The rich colors are why I do, but some people have a dislike of the IPS glow when the screen is supposed to be all black.

Upvote 0
If you're insisting on 120 fps, then you'll want 1080p for triples in ACC, even with an RTX 3090. Reminds me I need to do a review of settings required for triple 4k in ACC.

I'm in favor of IPS for panel type. The rich colors are why I do, but some people have a dislike of the IPS glow when the screen is supposed to be all black.

I just feel 1080P triples with an rtx 3090 seems a bit overkill. I get your point on ACC its very taxing what about iracing?

Upvote 0
Whats your opioions on those 49inch ultrawide as an option? or u think triple screen is the way to go?
I'm biased for triples, LOL, so you have to take my opinion with a grain of salt.

With any single screen, whether ultrawide or normal 16:9, you can't look left/right out the side window nor will your peripheral vision be filled. The tradeoff, of course, is that triples require more GPU and space and they consume fps.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Have made the move from an ultrawide 49” Samsung to triple 1440p - and arguably a single screen is a bit more plug & play but have no regrets going triple with better FOV, more immersion, increased sense of speed etc - think the decision depends on budget, real estate available for monitors, if you need / want to upgrade GPU etc

Having tried all options (including VR) I am very happy that I have settled on the triple option - however every user case is different so there is no right or wrong answer

Upvote 0
Hi,
I kindly suggest you to consider the possibility of a single curved 32+ lcd monitor, because I am very happy with this setup and IMHO it has the avantage to be simpler ad better performance-wise
best regards

Upvote 0
1440p is more future proof. a 40XX or 50XX series card you buy in the coming years may easily push triple 1440's. I've gone for triple 32" 1440's for that very reason as my 2070S currently has trouble getting 50 fps with medium settings in ACC. I'll probably get a 3080(ti?) next year which will solve that " problem".

Upvote 0
How is this even a debate? If you’re insisting on 120+ FPS, get the 1440P displays and just turn down a few settings and that’s it. Even ACC still looks good with all that excessive post processing junk turned down. Just dropping from ultra to high/very high will usually yield no changes in visual quality that a normal person can notice but will boost FPS about 20+.
You can lower quality to make 1440p faster and raise quality later when faster GPU’s are released.
But you can’t do anything to make 1080p monitors higher resolution. Once you buy those you’re locked in to 1080P.

Upvote 0
How is this even a debate? If you’re insisting on 120+ FPS, get the 1440P displays and just turn down a few settings and that’s it. Even ACC still looks good with all that excessive post processing junk turned down. Just dropping from ultra to high/very high will usually yield no changes in visual quality that a normal person can notice but will boost FPS about 20+.
You can lower quality to make 1440p faster and raise quality later when faster GPU’s are released.
But you can’t do anything to make 1080p monitors higher resolution. Once you buy those you’re locked in to 1080P.

This is your answer. The obsession with "max settings" is one of the biggest scams in the PC gaming industry. For the vast majority of games, the different between hitting the Ultra button and turning down a few unnecessary settings (sometimes it's literally one setting) is negligible visually, but nets you a 20-50% FPS increase sometimes. Don't think that if you play on high or turn down some things that all of a sudden you will be playing a ps2 game. And no amount of settings will compensate from the lack of "sharpness" from 1080p screens vs 1440p when they're 20 inches from your face.

And you have a 3090 man, live a little. Go 1440p!

As for flat vs curved, I would go flat. Curved adds a bit of distortion as is harder to line up perfectly which I'm OCD about. If you have the space and the right mounting hardware for triples above a 49 inch ultra wide go for that. I have a 49 inch ultra wide and wish I had the ability to go trips, maybe when I move. Triples are WAY better than any single screen no matter how big, because of the angle you get way more FOV.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have 27inch curved triples 1080P. NO issues setting up curved monitors, its as easy as flat screens and I wouldn't change it for flat screens. Running everything at 144fps / 144hz with no issues (occasional drop in FPS happens as normal) , max setting except ACC is around 70fps. Graphics card 2080 super.

I can imagine that 3090 will be able to take on 1440p triple screens and if its true that you can drop the resolution down to 1080p in order to gain FPS, without second thoughts you can't go wrong with 1440p.

In the future, I will go with 1440 and curved again, possibly around 29 -32 inch with the latest graphic card whatever that might be. Its too early for upgrades since my current monitor setup is performing well. Finally, Triple screen setup vs single screen (even if it was 49 inches), can not be compared in my opinion. Triple setup is still superior in terms of immersion factor.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I made this chart when I was deciding how I wanted to go, found it helpful to be able to compare numbers. It only means so much (and nobody should ever run triple 32:9 but I felt like being a completionist about filling in the data).

screen-rez-pixels.png

I ended up with triple 1440p 34" 21:9 ultrawides. I have all three monitors, but only one hooked up, because the missing piece of the puzzle is someone wanting to take my money for a 3080. Hopefully at some point.

It's a bit of pixels to push, but I'll adjust settings as needed to balance the framerate. I'm honestly not too fussed as long as it's smooth. I have 144Hz panels, but doubt I'll get too close to maxing them out. High double digits with G/Freesync is fine. Anything over 100fps is great.

My logic was simple: these monitors are right up in our faces. 1440p means better pixel density for your eyes. No amount of nice game visuals can overcome the screen door effect, or the shimmer of aliasing on edges. Pixels are pixels.

I went ultrawide to push the bezels as far into my peripheral vision as possible.

Looking forward to setting it up, but I can't speak to how it works until I get the rest of my gear. Personally I'd stay with triples, and I'd abandon all thought of 1080p panels. Adjust your settings as needed to get the frame rate you desire, but you have a dang 3090, just go for it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This guy has some great race-sim related hardware benchmarks and buys ALOT of new tech.

1080 is the new 8 track player. If you are running on 1080 and looking for a RTX3080/90, you should be embarrassed.

ACC is very demanding title and in triples @1080p on a top end spec PC for 2020
3090 = 90fps
3080 = 85fps
6800 = 80fps

*The new Samsung G9 @ 5120x1440 would probably be not that far off these scores, although likely a bit less should be expected.

Seen also that currently Boosted Media is showcasing a triple 4K configuration that would just be not only very costly but kinda silly when we see the framerates for 1080p & 1440p triples never mind 4K displays.

I suppose i-racing fans have less to worry about

Last edited:
Upvote 0

It is insanely hard to push 120+ FPS in ACC if you have 3x 1440p displays. You would really have to go low/medium on alot of settings to be locked in at 120-144 FPS.

But overall i agree with you. Buy 3x 1440p monitors and in a worst case ACC scenario you just downscale the resolution.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back