22 Gigabytes!!!! Of unnecessary hidden rf2 folder in steam. Check yours

We all know the crappy "packages" folder in rf2 keeping those .rfcmp files. Guess what. I figured there was something even worse.

Its again those ridiculous .rfcmp files of rfactor, sitting hidden under workshop folder in steam. Do these devs know that we pay for our storage and its not free? WHY, WHY would I keep 22 giga of zipped stuff? Why does rf2 never think of user experience? There are probably thousands of people keeping this in their disks wondering where all their storage went who has no idea its rf2 eating away at their gigabytes. I've never seen such approach in any other game.

The problem: rf2 keeps all the already installed content's zipped files in steam workshop folder. Now, I delete it, I run rf2, then stupid rf2 deletes ALL the installed packages within its own "installed" folder. How stupid is this? This is beyond stupid.

Could someone tell me, how can I get rid of useless crap and just install the contents and NOT keep its zipped crap?! And basically, NOT install two rfactor2's on my computer?

Steam keeps a copy of every workshop item you subscribe to by design. As long as you're subscribed to something, it will be there. It's how the system is designed. Most people don't care, the convenience of simply subscribing to what you want and not having to worry about manual installation or updates outweighs the extra disk space needed.

If that bothers you, we've written a document that explains how you can manually manage your rFactor 2 installation. I would not recommend people to do this, because it usually means doing more work yourself, but we documented the process anyway:

@Marcel.....Can you please address the Steam=> rFactor2 Properties=> beta tab?
Should I be using V1117....or should I be ignoring betas to get the latest version?
That aspect has been confusing for a while.

@Terry Rock if you want to stay in sync with the latest stable release, just opt out of all betas. That is my basic advice for everybody running rF2.

If you want to try the new UI, use the "public-beta" build to get the latest version of that.

The other beta builds are mainly there in case you want to stick to a specific, older version. At the moment v1117 is identical to the latest version, but as soon as we release v1118 it will stay at the latest v1117.

"When in doubt, opt-out!" ;)

@Terry Rock if you want to stay in sync with the latest stable release, just opt out of all betas. That is my basic advice for everybody running rF2.

If you want to try the new UI, use the "public-beta" build to get the latest version of that.

The other beta builds are mainly there in case you want to stick to a specific, older version. At the moment v1117 is identical to the latest version, but as soon as we release v1118 it will stay at the latest v1117.

"When in doubt, opt-out!" ;)
Thanks for clearing that up.

So when you unsub from workshop items, the game uninstalls everything too, why can't we just unsub but leave the content installed?

Also, given the amount of packages some of us have to reinstall having unsubbed, maybe an install all option would be helpful? ( using the new UI ) The new UI also doesn't update the installed flag, a restart is required to show if the install has been successful.

Last edited:
So when you unsub from workshop items, the game uninstalls everything too,
Actually the Workshop removes the content from Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\365960
The content is still in rF2 Installed Vehicle or Locations folder until the launcher is started.

why can't we just unsub but leave the content installed?
You can but you won't get the content auto updated.

Subscribe to content.
Find content in 365960 folder and copy the rfcmp file to your Packages folder.
Unsubscribe to that content.
Start launcher and install that content.
Once installed you can delete ( not uninstall ) that content while still in the launcher.
The content will be deleted from the Packages folder. The Packages folder is nothing more than a storage folder.
Now you only have one instance of the content on your ever so precious disk space.

Actually the Workshop removes the content from Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\365960
The content is still in rF2 Installed Vehicle or Locations folder until the launcher is started.

You can but you won't get the content auto updated.

Subscribe to content.
Find content in 365960 folder and copy the rfcmp file to your Packages folder.
Unsubscribe to that content.
Start launcher and install that content.
Once installed you can delete ( not uninstall ) that content while still in the launcher.
The content will be deleted from the Packages folder. The Packages folder is nothing more than a storage folder.
Now you only have one instance of the content on your ever so precious disk space.

Thanks for the reply. I think using the new UI might make a difference.
The content was already installed, I've unsubbed from all content, restarted rF2 and the game automatically uninstalled it all upon launching, meaning I have to go through and manually reinstall it one by one from the packages folder. This is using the new UI, so no launcher. Why does the game choose to uninstall it all? I've now got 156 pieces of content to reinstall and it doesn't look like we can multi select items in the new UI, so it's taking ages.

It is easy to control when content is deleted and/ or have chance to rectify a mistake
Put all content ( every single package ) into various room mods with MAS2 ...........how easy was that

Then no content can be deleted until you disable ( not uninstall) a mod uses the content in question

If you going to uninstall rF2 or DELETE packages it is on you ;)

Examples of mods to cover all my content, no limit to how many times you use the same track circuits
some vehicle used twice like Stock Car/Ovals

Historic Open Wheel
Historic Sports
Modern Open Wheel
Endurance - URD
Reiza
Ovals
Stock Car
S397 GT
Etc.
Etc.

Now when updates are downloaded you can do them when you like
If all content is in installed room mods you keep using the same till you decide to update mods
The latest version will be installed for quick session but not used in your room mods
You can select which mod you update as well

Which is actually better right at least I think so ??
With room mods you can have both versions to test !
where if you let steam do it it will delete all old versions
Put everything in a room mod Steam can't touch it ,,,or only when you decide

only downside is redoing the "room" mods for updates

Last edited:
Another thing I neglected it is possible to keep old versions of content another way
I have 4 mods for all Proto-GT3 ISI/S397/Payware content

1. Leave all your existing "room mods" installed in mod manager so no content can be removed obvious
2. In mod manager pick out what content has been updated.... it won't have " used by x mods" the box will be blank
3. With MAS 2 make new mods example: " Vehicles - old updates and Tracks - old updates "
4. Add the old content versions ( still installed in mods) into the 2 new mods
5. Enable the 2 mods
6. Now you can disable any mods using old versions and they will disappear but still exist for the 2 new mods
7. MAS2 Edit your existing mods updating to new versions, repack, install

So if some updates were physic tyre related you can keep both versions in separate mods to test

Why does the game choose to uninstall it all?
Once you unsubscribe from workshop content the content ( rfcmp file ) is deleted from the 365960 folder as I mentioned before.
What also happens is the file ( appworkshop_365960.acf ) that holds the data about what content you are subscribed to gets updated and so the data about the unsubscribed content is removed.
When the rF2 launcher starts, it syncs with the Workshop by reading the appworkshop_365960.acf file.
Workshop content not on the list gets uninstalled.

The Workshop's 365960 folder and rFactor's Packages folder are used in the same way. They are just a storage folder but differ in that once content is installed the rfcmp file can be deleted from the Packages folder no problems.
If you do the same with the content in the 365960 folder, Steam will just re-download it.

are you serious right now about the ACC having warez and rFactor 2 not and Kunos is giving it away for free?? hahahaha, wow, you are a funny guy, ask the rFactor employees owners whoever, there absolutely is hacked versions of the game going around and they keep fixing the piracy protection of the game from what I read on the forums where these things are being given away for free, it is a real shame that people dont just support the devs but that is the territory with having such technnology at our fingertips. I have for one paid for everything that rFactor2 has in its store, even had to buy the same car twice because apparently "reasons" still havent figured out how i have had to buy the same car twice and not get any answers on that, but 6 bucks 10 bucks 20 bucks whatever, and yes every version of every game has a hacked verison of it, if you dont think so then you my friend are mislead and need some serious examination of what you are stating to be facts

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 117 12.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 93 10.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 88 9.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 62 6.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 126 13.7%