2021 Formula One Bahrain Grand Prix | Discussion Thread

Some fans will always be salty when their compatriot loses, but this track limits thing is nothing new.
Doesn't take a long memory to see MV and others going off the track when the car was slower, now things have turned around racing drivers look to make up time where they can.

Penalise every car on worn out tyres going wide at 200 mph, or ban them from F1 might not be the best thing for the sport.

I was starting to think I imagined him going wide, why was he not penalised for going off track? I could have sworn he went off by a larege amount, thus didn't comproimise his exit and speed.
The wording of the rule is gaining an advantage. Since he slightly locked up, which caused his off track excursiion, there was no advantage gained. He lost just a tiny bit of ground there. Now the rule 'COULD' be ammended that whenever a car fully leaves the racing circuit, it must come to a complete stop before re-entering..... That would have sealed it for Max. But that kind of rule is really not safe. Stopping fully prevents a smooth merge if there is traffic.

The wording of the rule is gaining an advantage. Since he slightly locked up, which caused his off track excursiion, there was no advantage gained. He lost just a tiny bit of ground there. Now the rule 'COULD' be ammended that whenever a car fully leaves the racing circuit, it must come to a complete stop before re-entering..... That would have sealed it for Max. But that kind of rule is really not safe. Stopping fully prevents a smooth merge if there is traffic.

So you don't think that not backing off enough to stay within the track boundaries is gaining an advantage? Going wide allowed Lewis to keep corner speed and not compromise his exit and thus speed down the next section of track. IMO that's gaining an advantage by completely negating a disadvantage. Seen it all before tho with Schumacher, so I'm not surprised, FIA always favours the established driver.

markg88

Premium
near Cambridge
So you don't think that not backing off enough to stay within the track boundaries is gaining an advantage? Going wide allowed Lewis to keep corner speed and not compromise his exit and thus speed down the next section of track. IMO that's gaining an advantage by completely negating a disadvantage. Seen it all before tho with Schumacher, so I'm not surprised, FIA always favours the established driver.
I saw on Autosport forum, a post stating that Rob Smedley reckons Hamilton saved 2seconds by going wide at Turn 4 for 29 (?) laps.
It is ironic that when Verstappen ONCE used that same bit of track unintentionally AFTER having overtaken Hamilton, he had to conceded the place.
Seems strange that the race director declares it a 'lasting advantage' in Verstappen's case, but Hamilton's saving of 2seconds by abusing track limits so frequently was not deemed a lasting advantage. If this was football one would suspect brown envelopes exchanging hands.

Look guys, F1 is building already the Varianta Lewis in Australia :roflmao:

REVEALED: The track tweaks set to make Melbourne's Albert Park Circuit 5 seconds a lap quicker in 2021