2021 Formula One Bahrain Grand Prix | Discussion Thread

Sasha Jednak

Sasa Jednak
Premium
They say if you gain an advantage be leaving the track you have to give back the position. One could argue that during the un-competitive parts you don't gain an advantage there. Would make sense to investigate that in the sim if that's true.
There is:
1) gaining advantage like higher speed in battle by going out of track
2) gaining advantage like having faster times between point A and B by going out of track somewhere in between.
Both should be punished the same in my opinion.

They say if you gain an advantage be leaving the track you have to give back the position. One could argue that during the un-competitive parts you don't gain an advantage there. Would make sense to investigate that in the sim if that's true.
After red bull complained stewards realized their misstake and started monitor track rules again. Obviously there is an advantage since every one used that line during testing. If it was slower and cause more tire wear drivers wouldnt use it. Self explanatory :)

Did you guys noticed, the textures on track are outdated, they still say its "Expo 2020 Dubai", but it's already 2021.

But Vettel, what was he thinking after the Ocon overtake.
I can't prove it, but I have a strong suspicion that somebody named JOSS may have kidnapped poor ol Seb several years ago and has been impersonating the poor sod ever since. When Seb was at his peak, he never hit people who overtook....unnnnlesssss it was a team-mate. So clearly we have a case of Sebimpersonation and I think authorities should begin an exhaustive search for the real Vettel. To begin with, probably best to identify co-conspirators who may have assisted....How may people live in Dutch-Land?

Last edited:

NDG

I can't believe RB lost this one... Why didn't they pit Max right after Lewis so the gap won't grow as big as it did? Only Max is the fast guy at RB I guess. Slow thinking for everyone else.

Sasha Jednak

Sasa Jednak
Premium
Wait, I just read that netflix was with merc on this race. Is that true? In that case, we know that their worst race is when netflix is with them. So we can wrap this season already. :roflmao:

What I learnt from Race 1 (first race I've watched since 2016):

a) Lewis is good
b) Max is as good
c) Merc still best overall package
d) Red Bull Strategists suck
e) Hamilton can go wide with no penalty, but Max can't?
f) Bottas still getting most of the bad luck in Mercedes
g) RB No2 still getting most of the bad luck
h) I'm not watching anymore races, still boring as feck and Hearing commentators going apeshite over a DRS overtake is just pathetic. Moto GP so much better

Dzul

Premium
This season opener was truly a good race! Not because of the finish but because there was proper non-stop fighting for position at every part of the track. It made watching F1 truly enjoyable again. :D

Next to that it's the "turn 4 thingie" when Verstappen overtook Hamilton and gave his place back.

What I saw was Max passing Lewis (his car was ahead) on track and after the move was done he followed the same exit line Lewis had been using the entire race before. Sure, video is better evidence than still images because you can see trajectory, speed, steering, etc but still, see pictures below.

An important question is, when do you consider the "pass" of Verstappen on Hamilton "done" in this case? When his car is ahead on track? Can you separate the 'pass' from the 'exit'? And if so, having Max follow the same exit line Lewis has been using before unpunished, is it correct for the FIA to "change how rules are applied" during a race?

Not picking on anyone. Just wondering what your thoughts on these questions are. :coffee:

IMG_1197.PNG

IMG_1198.PNG

IMG_1201.PNG

IMG_1202.PNG

Last edited:
Everyone crying over the track limits thing. Max completed his move by going wide. If he hadn't have gone wide Hamilton would have been back up the inside into the next right hander.

They both did it most of the race hence the FIA making the call of enforcing the track limits at turn 4. Red Bull threw this one away because ultimately Mercedes strategists are better always have been. Everyone saying "it's the car" about Hamilton for the past few years have to eat their words because he managed to keep him behind for the remainder in a car that isn't the quickest anymore. Max had multiple DRS deployments and still couldn't get past him.

Another note. Personally I think, DRS shouldn't be allowed to be used for the top 2 or 3 in the race. Makes for an easy pass and no skill involved. Take it away and they'd have to catch and pass on skill alone.

They need to just be strict about no over the white line under any circumstances. No different rules for qualifying and race. There's no reason why this couldn't be automated. Go over a white line and make a gain in that sector instant punishment, no need to get a person involve to decide if it's legal.

Appie Kuipers

Premium
The Netherlands
Everyone crying over the track limits thing. Max completed his move by going wide. If he hadn't have gone wide Hamilton would have been back up the inside into the next right hander.

They both did it most of the race hence the FIA making the call of enforcing the track limits at turn 4. Red Bull threw this one away because ultimately Mercedes strategists are better always have been. Everyone saying "it's the car" about Hamilton for the past few years have to eat their words because he managed to keep him behind for the remainder in a car that isn't the quickest anymore. Max had multiple DRS deployments and still couldn't get past him.

Another note. Personally I think, DRS shouldn't be allowed to be used for the top 2 or 3 in the race. Makes for an easy pass and no skill involved. Take it away and they'd have to catch and pass on skill alone.

So, only 0,7sec, on a hard to overtake track. He has to work this season

Hamilton exceeded track limits when he made a rare mistake, locked up and went wide, he gained an advantage by not losing much time if at all...and was not penalised.

Yeah...when you can't overtake even with DRS, you don't have the faster car, Merc sandbagged pre season as per usual.

Merc have consistantly been the better overal package in multiple conditions, fuel load and tyre wear. Ferrari and Red Bull have on occasion got close and surpassed in limited scenario's...but overall the Merc package is pretty much the best and has been for for the last 7 years. The true test is ask any driver from any discipline what car they would want to drive in F1 and I can guarentee all the sane ones would say Mercedes........albeit not many would still want Lewis there as a teammate! ;)

Last edited:
All luck to Lewis yesterday. after all..
the fia has to clarify the rules and Max had to wait a corner later or two corners... Lewis was there for diner. Next time pay day. But realy enjoy this race more please with more luck for Maxi

Last edited:
All luck to Lewis yesterday. after all..
the fia has to clarify the rules and Max had to wait a corner later or two corners... Lewis was there for diner. Next time pay day. But realy enjoy this race more please with more luck for Maxi
No doubt Max will win races this year... But that wasn't luck... It was a battle, if Max waited for the right moment he would have got the job done...
I think Lewis set Max up, knowing he would have to go off track...with a bit of ERS and looking after his tyres it was game over.

If he's that lucky as people say let's ask him to play the lottery..:):D

Last edited:
This season opener was truly a good race! Not because of the finish but because there was proper non-stop fighting for position at every part of the track. It made watching F1 truly enjoyable again. :D

Next to that it's the "turn 4 thingie" when Verstappen overtook Hamilton and gave his place back.

What I saw was Max passing Lewis (his car was ahead) on track and after the move was done he followed the same exit line Lewis had been using the entire race before. Sure, video is better evidence than still images because you can see trajectory, speed, steering, etc but still, see pictures below.

An important question is, when do you consider the "pass" of Verstappen on Hamilton "done" in this case? When his car is ahead on track? Can you separate the 'pass' from the 'exit'? And if so, having Max follow the same exit line Lewis has been using before unpunished, is it correct for the FIA to "change how rules are applied" during a race?

Not picking on anyone. Just wondering what your thoughts on these questions are. :coffee:

View attachment 459311
View attachment 459312
View attachment 459313
View attachment 459314

The pass is done once you have straighten out the car.