2020 Virtual 24 Hours of Le Mans (Live Stream)

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Welcome to the central discussion thread for the first ever official 24 Hours of Le Mans - virtual edition.

This weekend marks an historic moment for the genre of sim racing, as the WEC, Automobile Club de l'Ouest and Motorsport Games are set to host what could well turn out to be the largest organised virtual race in history - the Le Mans 24 Hours Virtual.

Held as an officially sanctioned event in place of what would have been the real Le Mans 24 Hours this weekend, the race features an incredible selection of official teams, manufacturers and drivers. Two Formula 1 World Champions, three Indy 500 victors and seven outright Le Mans 24 Hour winners join together with some of the finest rFactor 2 sim racers racing side by side with their real world contemporaries .

Held at the beautiful Le Mans circuit in rFactor 2, and making use of the LMP2 and GTE content within the simulation, the race is set to become a high watermark for the increasingly popular esport movement we are experiencing at present.

You can catch all the action live here:

Some articles if people are interested (sorry if these are repeats)

Rebellion Williams Secure Virtual Le Mans Win
Le Mans 24 Hours Virtual, Did It Work?

Porsche GTE Win a “Team Effort” Between Sim, Real-Life Squads
Rebellion-Williams Team Wins Virtual 24H Le Mans

I was listening to the Marshall Pruett podcast the other night with Graham Goodwin, and like their twitter feeds they were pretty dismissive of the whole thing ("the race was won by someone in a pretend car"). Talked about it for about three minutes and then moved onto IMSA.

Bit of mixed bag, there is the "it's only boys playing a game" crowd and so on which is to be expected I guess; and then those who truly saw it as something unique and we'll never see anything like this again.

The tire model has changed many times since 2008, what's the point to have flatspots and tyre compounds in the sim if they needs to be changed every 3 months? Let's have the basics good and then move on the addon features.
You are talking about iRacing tire model? Because after more than 10 years of struggling with NTM they don't have basics good. rF2 didn't have major change since introduction of CPM in 2015. Then in 2018 there were some substantial fixes. Since two years I didn't hear about tire model updates. It doesn't mean there are no substantial issues.

No, it's the driving and the setup of the commenters, like stated by Oldzeb.^^ No way, that something is weird. :sneaky: I have to exploit even more aspects of the setup, to receive a stable car, because rF2 likes its exploits.
I don't think I get it. So you don't agree GTE tend to get more difficult to drive after update that was year ago? Most people drive with setups similar to default and should have cars, don't have time to find exploits. I think by default setups should be rather stable for the cars to drive similar to real life handling - not loose, oversteery like Corvette and Porsche to some extend.

I don't think I get it. So you don't agree GTE tend to get more difficult to drive after update that was year ago? Most people drive with setups similar to default and should have cars, don't have time to find exploits. I think by default setups should be rather stable for the cars to drive similar to real life handling - not loose, oversteery like Corvette and Porsche to some extend.
It was sarcasm, mate...
Of course the GTE drive like crap, that's the point i want to make the whole time, while other people try to blame the driver and setup! :D I thought, it was obvious enough...

Btw. it seems, mechanical failures were off and ABS allowed on low, in the 24h event, so interesting perspective there, of how different the deal can be treated and how little the actual event really compares to the actual home use.^^

It was sarcasm, mate...
Of course the GTE drive like crap, that's the point i want to make the whole time, while other people try to blame the driver and setup! :D I thought, it was obvious enough...

Btw. it seems, mechanical failures were off and ABS allowed on low, in the 24h event, so interesting perspective there, of how different the deal can be treated and how little the actual event really compares to the actual home use.^^
A ok. I don’t think they drive like crap, but as many people said they are too difficult for GTE cars(too oversteer prone to me) . If pro drivers who participated in the event said generally it’s more real that iRacing than they can’t be that bad. What’ s interesting real setups dot really work in rF2.

A ok. I don’t think they drive like crap, but as many people said they are too difficult for GTE cars(too oversteer prone to me) . If pro drivers who participated in the event said generally it’s more real that iRacing than they can’t be that bad. What’ s interesting real setups dot really work in rF2.
Like mentioned, low ABS and no mechanical failure was activated in the event, so you can exploit the sh** out of these cars with early downshifting and late braking. The comparison to the normal use lacks heavily...

Perhaps someone ellaborated what part of real setup doesn't really work in rF2 ? Of course if in case something is fundamentaly not accurate about tires, then naturaly there might to be a major shift for whole setup.

As for GTE being difficult. It is always super subjective what difficult actually is. If you are good driver and mechanically sympathetic with some knowledge you might and should provide some reasoning for that. I think it is unreasonable to expect a racing car to be very easy and to have very high performance at the same time. But as I said this whole easy/hard is very subjective and doesn't describe very much. Generaly most drivers are expected to be way off-pace and not admitting not being good enough themselves. It is way less likely to complain that car/tire is too good, and that one shouldn't be so good lol

But of course too easy and too hard are both valid ways of something not being true to reality. I think that both can be true at the same time. For example it can be hard to keep car under the limit, but relatively easy to keep it at and coming back safely from exceeding the limits. It can be easy to keep car under the limit, and would require some balls to go over the limit, where the car would be very challenging.

Forget one some say, everyone will talk their crap point of view, even though they don't and never will actually drive the cars.
It's simple, if you enjoy it, carry on, if you don't, move on, there's plenty more sims to bitch about if you don't like this one.
This is regardless of the fact that things can be better in rf2, it is what it is.
Get a life folks, this should be a hobby, ya know, something to do, when you an elusive hour or two, after work,and family bissiness.
If this is the only thing you have to do, and you spend most hrs in a day on it, get a job, get a life,

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 346 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 239 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 237 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 297 13.3%