2020 Virtual 24 Hours of Le Mans (Live Stream)

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Welcome to the central discussion thread for the first ever official 24 Hours of Le Mans - virtual edition.

This weekend marks an historic moment for the genre of sim racing, as the WEC, Automobile Club de l'Ouest and Motorsport Games are set to host what could well turn out to be the largest organised virtual race in history - the Le Mans 24 Hours Virtual.

Held as an officially sanctioned event in place of what would have been the real Le Mans 24 Hours this weekend, the race features an incredible selection of official teams, manufacturers and drivers. Two Formula 1 World Champions, three Indy 500 victors and seven outright Le Mans 24 Hour winners join together with some of the finest rFactor 2 sim racers racing side by side with their real world contemporaries .

Held at the beautiful Le Mans circuit in rFactor 2, and making use of the LMP2 and GTE content within the simulation, the race is set to become a high watermark for the increasingly popular esport movement we are experiencing at present.

You can catch all the action live here:

The red flags were welcome because it adds suspense and authenticity to the 24 hours of Le Mans, they would not have been there, it would have been really a shame.
I enjoyed these 24 hours as if they were real.
for me it will remain in my memory for a very long time.
I say a big thank you to Rf2 and to all those professionals who made this possible.

Updated every 3 months and somehow still missing the basics like brake wear, flatspots, tyre compounds and rain. How many years it took to get a basic day night cycle? Something even the first rF1 had. But I guess these things are not so important.

If I do remember correctly, Rf2 was released in 2013 but is still missing a proper transmission model? Isn't that funny? I mean... the king of physics simulation, and you can jump on a hystoric F1 with a synchromesh gearbox and change gears like an actual F1. Dog box H pattern are unknow in rF2. Yeah that is no so important...

The tire model has changed many times since 2008, what's the point to have flatspots and tyre compounds in the sim if they needs to be changed every 3 months? Let's have the basics good and then move on the addon features.

But this is hard to understand for you, look at the rain in rF2; LOL What's the point on having the rain, if the surface model it's not good, and there is no point in driving wet lines on a rubbered track that gets wet? What's the point in having the rain if it can't be used in online events because it's broken?

If I do remember correctly, Rf2 was released in 2013 but is still missing a proper transmission model? Isn't that funny? I mean... the king of physics simulation, and you can jump on a hystoric F1 with a synchromesh gearbox and change gears like an actual F1. Dog box H pattern are unknow in rF2. Yeah that is no so important...

The tire model has changed many times since 2008, what's the point to have flatspots and tyre compounds in the sim if they needs to be changed every 3 months? Let's have the basics good and then move on the addon features.

But this is hard to understand for you, look at the rain in rF2; LOL What's the point on having the rain, if the surface model it's not good, and there is no point in driving wet lines on a rubbered track that gets wet? What's the point in having the rain if it can't be used in online events because it's broken?
How then I've been in 4 straight online races with rain and didn't have a single problem?

LMAO: what's the point to have flatspots... that sums everything up. Every excuse is a good excuse to justify a crappy tyre model, that has been shitted on by every real driver, you lock up and instead of having a flatspot and a overheated tyre you instead get a jelly tyre. 100% realistic it seems. iRacing doesn't even have the basics good, because flatspots are the basics, aren't a simple add on like you call it. Same for tyre compounds, but I guess you don't understand it, enjoy that rail "sim", where you can't reach the limit otherwise you'll spin.
"Let's get the basics good", good luck, they're still trying to get the basics good after 12 years of development then if they didn't move on the "addon" like you call them.
The tyre model has changed so many times since 2008 and still didn't reach a decent point.
And I didn't even mention the curbs. There's an entire topic in iR's forum showing that 3d modeled curbs don't have the ffb counterpart, so basically you go on there but you don't feel them. 100% realistic. Someday around 2060 iRacing will finally get the basics good and will move on the addons

Brag about the online, cause is the only thing you can brag about.

Does anyone here know what a sofa should drive like?
The red flags were welcome because it adds suspense and authenticity to the 24 hours of Le Mans, they would not have been there, it would have been really a shame.
I enjoyed these 24 hours as if they were real.
for me it will remain in my memory for a very long time.
I say a big thank you to Rf2 and to all those professionals who made this possible.

Totaly true. These rF2 problems added to the feel of endurance. Otherwise it would be complete 24h sprint, which would get too monotonic.

Of course it would be better to have different reasons for red flags. But in simulation I honestly can't think of any - simulating fixing bariers, simulating cleaning the debry out, simulating undrivable conditions ? I can't think of any that would be true and would make sense, except perhaps simulating true weather to the fullest. But a possibility of having to do a server restart is very logical and technologicaly based real thing to do. It also isn't fully predictable as far as I know, so that iissue is just simply real.

To sum up, I think server restarts might be a way to go to run before bigger server issues occurs. Makes all the sense. However, other various glitches aren't welcome at all obviously. Must to mention that drivers side related connection and hardware/computer problems can't be fully avoided, it is just natural.

Of course they very likely are, because unlike rF2, a real modern endurance race car will not have the behaviour of the need to kill you with every entrance to the Porsche Curves, because the rear is lose af, despite having a huge diffuser, rake set correctly, suspension from heaven and thicc tyres to counteract stability issues. The GTE in rF2 are (now) totally weird, they were way better to drive before an update, that broke them.
Yes I've seen similar comments, that they were better, less difficult to drive, before the update. But I'd be very interested in pro drivers feedback, especially those that drive them in real life. Was there something specific they said about their handling/physics?

Rain in rF2 isn't broken and it's perfectly usable, even with the option to plugin real weather data. I guess they simply didn't use it to make it a bit more balanced for the real drivers because I suspect that none of them drove a single lap in the rain. Now you could go back and forth, discuss what each sim does or doesn't have and be sad why they didn't use iRacing. But all in all this has been a great success for this genre and I don't understand how anyone can be upset about this event and it's presentation. The big majority of people even from outside of our bubble seems to have enjoyed it so why be so pissed? Next week there will be iRacing LM24 and I am looking forward to how they tackle it. We - the users - might be the big winners because gaps are bridged and big manufatureres, inlcuding tire brands try to reach out to sim devs to bring a virtual represeantation of racing to our homes for the small bug. How any of this could be negative is beyond me. Be glad that there is a competitor for iRacing so that they might have to drop their prices and work on their weakpoints at one point. But I guess you are so angry for whatever reason that you don't look that far.

Yes I've seen similar comments, that they were better, less difficult to drive, before the update.
No, it's the driving and the setup of the commenters, like stated by Oldzeb.^^ No way, that something is weird. :sneaky: I have to exploit even more aspects of the setup, to receive a stable car, because rF2 likes its exploits.

But I'd be very interested in pro drivers feedback, especially those that drive them in real life. Was there something specific they said about their handling/physics?
Ask 10 drivers and you will get 9 different opinions. Also don't forget, they were not using the same specifications in weight, fuel etc. you use at home in the stock rF2 version.

Most drivers see more fun in driving of rF2 compared to iRacing...

GTE cars, compared to IRL, no clue, what they say besides, that real life is easier.
After the BoP update of the stock LMP2 and GTE, some GT3 in some leagues were able to drive similar times, like GTE, but no, it's all down to their driving and setup.^^

Endurance pack GTE have clearly too low engine inertia and need weird setups to be driven stable (especially the RSR, especially with Le Mans kit)...

because I suspect that none of them drove a single lap in the rain.
Rain was taking part on the training servers, like dawn, night and so on...they even made test races. Also the sky became cloudy in phases of the race, so i think, weather was activated...
what's the point to have flatspots
A believeable simulated way to punish you for consistently f***ing up your cornering, instead of a huge grip cliff with instabin and a tyre that is 3 tenths faster by doing burnouts?:coffee:

Totaly true. These rF2 problems added to the feel of endurance. Otherwise it would be complete 24h sprint, which would get too monotonic.

Of course it would be better to have different reasons for red flags. But in simulation I honestly can't think of any - simulating fixing bariers, simulating cleaning the debry out, simulating undrivable conditions ? I can't think of any that would be true and would make sense, except perhaps simulating true weather to the fullest. But a possibility of having to do a server restart is very logical and technologicaly based real thing to do. It also isn't fully predictable as far as I know, so that iissue is just simply real.

To sum up, I think server restarts might be a way to go to run before bigger server issues occurs. Makes all the sense. However, other various glitches aren't welcome at all obviously. Must to mention that drivers side related connection and hardware/computer problems can't be fully avoided, it is just natural.
I'm confused, why is my WAYWO thread question quoted here?
Are WEC interested in fielding a virtual sofa?

With the due respect, rf2 rain is far from real both regarding tyres behaviour (slick or rain) as the rubber line physics. There's nothing to do with the real.

Maybe it's usable online despite the bad simulation but offline is not usable at all.
Rain in rF2 isn't broken and it's perfectly usable, even with the option to plugin real weather data. I guess they simply didn't use it to make it a bit more balanced for the real drivers because I suspect that none of them drove a single lap in the rain. Now you could go back and forth, discuss what each sim does or doesn't have and be sad why they didn't use iRacing. But all in all this has been a great success for this genre and I don't understand how anyone can be upset about this event and it's presentation. The big majority of people even from outside of our bubble seems to have enjoyed it so why be so pissed? Next week there will be iRacing LM24 and I am looking forward to how they tackle it. We - the users - might be the big winners because gaps are bridged and big manufatureres, inlcuding tire brands try to reach out to sim devs to bring a virtual represeantation of racing to our homes for the small bug. How any of this could be negative is beyond me. Be glad that there is a competitor for iRacing so that they might have to drop their prices and work on their weakpoints at one point. But I guess you are so angry for whatever reason that you don't look that far.

With the due respect, rf2 rain is far from real both regarding tyres behaviour (slick or rain) as the rubber line physics. There's nothing to do with the real.

Maybe it's usable online despite the bad simulation but offline is not usable at all.
I believe Lando Norris mentioned in his stream that they had to disable rain as it was causing server crashes when they were running the test servers.

As per rain in rF2, it's not broken but it's not particularly realistic either. They have programmed rain to be a percentage difference of less grip between the dry/wet line. It does not simulate the interaction of rubber built up over a race and the rain, therefore you will find that in rF2 the dry racing line is the same as the wet racing line. In real life, in the wet, drivers will drive off the dry racing line due to the built up rubber.

I have watched a lot of the sim racing coverage across the various series over the months and this is the only one I could keep on for more than 30 minutes. Watched a lot more than I thought and my wife was into it. I really enjoyed it.

Considering the size of the studio and the fact they were aware of the shortcomings of the software and had contingencies in place for the likely event of a server crash I think all parties did a wonderful job here obviously room to improve and I hope they get a chance to fix some of these issues and host more large events in the future and realize the dream they have taken on with this game (still waiting a long time like everyone else for it to "mature" :laugh:)

I get the iracing debate, I have spent a lot of money on it myself it would be easy to defend it but I just want to remind that we used to spend a lot of money on iracing when it really sucked too. Personally I didn't get much enjoyment out of it until the recent tire models. But I would hope that a service that started life with a single purpose of hosting online multiplayer racing would be ahead in that area. More funding, bigger user base, bigger take for content reinvested over many years, being allowed to operate at a loss and its turned into a pretty solid service/good pay off for them it seems.

I would like to think as a sim racing community we could all just be enthusiasts here instead of all the tribal bickering, for or against but that is the world we live in now :thumbsup:

Iracing had 20million plus dollars to start with, you pay a sub and for every car and track. They have had years of big events failing, remember it got so bad, the top guys all parked it on the start finish line, live on air, and they had to cut the feed.
Have they fixed the meatball cflag yet.
Rf2, got released, and was not really updated, until 3 years ago,with a tiny dev team on, a shoe string budget.
I think for their second event, it was a success.

iRacing vs Rfactor2, does it really matter in the context of this event. So some real life drivers prefer one to the other just as sim racers have their own preferences. I think the whole virtual Le Mans event is a celebration of just how far the genre has advanced and should be treated as such, rather than turning it into a squabble over which sim is better, like beauty it's in the eye of the beholder.

I don't know one NASCAR driver who prefers rF2 to iRacing - if you want to race on ovals you have no other choice than iRacing.

What a wierd way of arguing, really just to add your usual saltiness about rF2 to the discussion. If we go that route we wouldn't be running those events at all because sim racing is (still) so far away from reality that it would make no sense at all to even try it. Best example are the missing pit colissions in some sims, but nobody seems to have a problem with that either. Is rain in rF2 perfect? Propably not and it might have a few shortcommings like the lack of of grip loss on the rubber layer or aquaplaning. On the other hand does it some things very well that make it stand out. According to your logic we can't use ACC or AC for online events because the racing lines are far from reality as they are just scripted, wich is just a rubbish argument if we are honest.

Afterall there are quite a few things that I really missed in this race. After this event it obvious that S397 needs to work on dirt build up effects for cars, flashing lights, better external sounds, better implemented rules for overtaking under yellow and the ambient and track temps, wind and fog are a must have if they plan to run such an event in the future. Another pretty big feature, wich works nicely in iRacing is the visual damage. The physical damage works pretty good allready but making it better visualy would be nice. Something that also really stood out was the empty pitlane and it would be nice to atleast get some static pit crews like it is done in some mods allready. Maybe just with a script that adds some dudes with a wheelgun to the positions of the wheels? Should be doable.

And as a whole I think that the ease of use needs to be improved, especialy when it comes to driver swapping and hints of what is important for new users to know before they hit the track. How should a new user know that the reset FFB key needs to be mapped and why in gods name should a new user need a pro sim racer to explain the swapping procdure? Stuff like that needs to be more intuitive.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back