2020 Formula One Turkish Grand Prix | Driver of the Day: Vote Now

Who is your RaceDepartment Driver of the Day?

• Total voters

Jason Chamberlain

Mobile Chicane
Premium
Apr 26, 2020
You can't look at the sample size of one race. If you do that, you might just as well take Germany 2019 and question Hamilton's maturity. I reckon Max made mistakes in the beginning of 2018, but I really can't think of any big streak of mistakes after that.
I was one of Max's biggest critics in 2018. I think that the worst spot was when he had the clash with Ocon. I remember Lewis said what I thought - just let him go since all he's doing is unlapping himself. You have to think big picture sometimes, which I think that Max does much better now in general.

I think that, overall, Max is making much fewer mistakes than he once did. He is sometimes a bit too aggressive, which will likely be something he will always have to manage. But he has certainly no longer "Crashstappen" and I think that the Maldonado comparisons are dead now.

Sasha Jednak

Sasa Jednak
Premium
Mar 27, 2011
I was one of Max's biggest critics in 2018. I think that the worst spot was when he had the clash with Ocon. I remember Lewis said what I thought - just let him go since all he's doing is unlapping himself. You have to think big picture sometimes, which I think that Max does much better now in general.
How can choose Brazil instead of Baku, if you are looking at 2018?
Driver that does overtaking is responsible to make it clean and safe. When driver is unlapping himself, previous statement is even more important. And since he wasn't clear ahead at braking for turn 1 he didn't have any chance to make safe pass. Just to remind: guy trying to unlap himself on medium-easy overtaking circuit is same guy that pulled over for guy behind in position fight on no-overtake circuit. ;) Although, this whole comment may be influenced by my ratings of Ocon as driver. :roflmao:

Jason Chamberlain

Mobile Chicane
Premium
Apr 26, 2020
How can choose Brazil instead of Baku, if you are looking at 2018?
Driver that does overtaking is responsible to make it clean and safe. When driver is unlapping himself, previous statement is even more important. And since he wasn't clear ahead at braking for turn 1 he didn't have any chance to make safe pass. Just to remind: guy trying to unlap himself on medium-easy overtaking circuit is same guy that pulled over for guy behind in position fight on no-overtake circuit. ;) Although, this whole comment may be influenced by my ratings of Ocon as driver. :roflmao:
My point is just that you don't need to be racing at 100% all the time. And sometimes the wise thing to do is to drive at 97% and let someone pass you, even if it messes up your lap a little bit. But that comes from maturity, which I think Max is developing.

Was Ocon at fault? Sure he was. I look at it like when I am at a 4-way intersection. I may have the right-of-way and can proceed through the intersection legally, but if I see a car that may not be stopping, I don't proceed through the intersection. Now if I go through and my car gets hit I am not at fault at all. But I still have a damaged car and a lot of inconveniences, plus possibly an injury. The wise thing to do is to wait, even if it costs me some time. This is even more prudent if I have some extra time to arrive at my destination.

Max could have let Ocon go, saved his race, and cruised to a victory. But that would require swallowing a bit of pride and aggression. The wise drivers know how to manage the race.

Mar 24, 2019
But you can't always blame the car. Yesterday, the Mercedes was far from being the fastest car, and Qualifying proved that. In the race, Hamilton did not need the win yet was able to stay composed and his skill and maturity rewarded him with first place.

Conversely, Verstappen had the fastest car (so we are led to believe, post Qualifying), was unable to get his car off the line, had more spins than my washing machine on housework day, and threw his race away with amateurish overtaking attempts.

That was not the result of overdriving a slower car - that was simply Verstappen beating himself, spoiling his own race. You max fans can't have it both ways - it can't be down to the car when Hamilton wins, but down to max's "skill" when he wins. Yesterday just reinforced my opinion that verstappen is either short on intelligence or maturity. And as we are drawing to the close of his 6th season in F1, one of those two possibilities is unfortunately starting to look more and more likely.
Merc was the fastest after the track began to dry. Hamilton couldn't do **** while it was super wet and they had no DRS.

BillyBobSenna

250RPM
Premium
Dec 30, 2010
Great circuit, really exciting race. Turkey really belongs on the racing calendar.
And now he has proven it to everyone:
Lewis is the GOAT.
Its great to watch an F1 race with excitement over the entire race. Turkey achieved that.

I vote for resurfacing all F1 tracks the week before all F1 weekends. The resurfacing must result in a mirrorlike shine and very low coefficients of friction!

paracletus

1000RPM
Dec 6, 2013
Red Bull will be disappointed this weekend. Hard lines, better luck next time
:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Sasha Jednak

Sasa Jednak
Premium
Mar 27, 2011
My point is just that you don't need to be racing at 100% all the time. And sometimes the wise thing to do is to drive at 97% and let someone pass you, even if it messes up your lap a little bit. But that comes from maturity, which I think Max is developing.

Was Ocon at fault? Sure he was. I look at it like when I am at a 4-way intersection. I may have the right-of-way and can proceed through the intersection legally, but if I see a car that may not be stopping, I don't proceed through the intersection. Now if I go through and my car gets hit I am not at fault at all. But I still have a damaged car and a lot of inconveniences, plus possibly an injury. The wise thing to do is to wait, even if it costs me some time. This is even more prudent if I have some extra time to arrive at my destination.

Max could have let Ocon go, saved his race, and cruised to a victory. But that would require swallowing a bit of pride and aggression. The wise drivers know how to manage the race.
Completely agree with this, with maturity it will come wise decisions. I just hope he will not get Merc level car when that comes. Don’t want repeat of this era. :roflmao:

Last edited:

Enagee

500RPM
Oct 15, 2010
Merc was the fastest after the track began to dry. Hamilton couldn't do **** while it was super wet and they had no DRS.
Are you New to racing?
Or did you miss the dry practice sessions?

You also need intelligence as race driver and pick your moments...

there was only one racing line most of the time on a newly resurfaced track in the wet.

Go off the line to make a move and a few cars will pass you..Lewis learnt that early and got passed and decided to engage his strategy.

Charles done it on the last lap...and gave a nice podium to Vettel.

This is all obvious stuff we all saw.

Intelligence and patience matters too.

Last edited:

Jim Layee

250RPM
Jun 11, 2016
But you can't always blame the car. Yesterday, the Mercedes was far from being the fastest car, and Qualifying proved that. In the race, Hamilton did not need the win yet was able to stay composed and his skill and maturity rewarded him with first place.

Conversely, Verstappen had the fastest car (so we are led to believe, post Qualifying), was unable to get his car off the line, had more spins than my washing machine on housework day, and threw his race away with amateurish overtaking attempts.

That was not the result of overdriving a slower car - that was simply Verstappen beating himself, spoiling his own race. You max fans can't have it both ways - it can't be down to the car when Hamilton wins, but down to max's "skill" when he wins. Yesterday just reinforced my opinion that verstappen is either short on intelligence or maturity. And as we are drawing to the close of his 6th season in F1, one of those two possibilities is unfortunately starting to look more and more likely.
Max reminds me so much of his father when the toys fly out the pram. He has great skills but needs a team that's tougher on him then Red Bull to put him in his place and then he might be great all round.

Mar 24, 2019
Are you New to racing?
Or did you miss the dry practice sessions?

You also need intelligence as race driver and pick your moments...

there was only one racing line most of the time on a newly resurfaced track in the wet.

Go off the line to make a move and a few cars will pass you..Lewis learnt that early and got passed and decided to engage his strategy.

Charles done it on the last lap...and gave a nice podium to Vettel.

This is all obvious stuff we all saw.

Intelligence and patience matters too.
Ah yes, practice sessions. Where our lord and savior Bottas is a world champion.

It doesn't change the fact that, once the track began to dry, Merc was quick again, and Racing Point was no match for it. Nobody denies Hamilton is a good driver, but people are exaggerating when they say Merc car was bad in Turkey.

Enagee

500RPM
Oct 15, 2010
Ah yes, practice sessions. Where our lord and savior Bottas is a world champion.

It doesn't change the fact that, once the track began to dry, Merc was quick again, and Racing Point was no match for it. Nobody denies Hamilton is a good driver, but people are exaggerating when they say Merc car was bad in Turkey.
Sometimes it's not about who scores but who drops the ball.

pcraenme

500RPM
Premium
Jun 26, 2011
Max reminds me so much of his father when the toys fly out the pram. He has great skills but needs a team that's tougher on him then Red Bull to put him in his place and then he might be great all round.
I read a book this summer about Jos and Max about their careers en personalities and they are similar but also very different. And he does not need a team to put him in his place... Max needs Red Bull and Honda to give him a WC capable winning car. Yes, Max may express himself strongly from time to time, but that is what he should do. Red Bull and Helmut Marko each year promise to deliver a car that can win championships and they are not delivering for years now. And even Hamilton complains openly on his pitradio and in interviews when he thinks his team did not do a good job or uses a wrong strategy in his opinion. That’s why Lewis and Max are the best drivers on the grid... they demand the maximum from their teams and from themselves.

muzikant

1000RPM
Apr 19, 2010
let team redbull first but build a good car after all those promises
Max is often better than the car is

Reactions: Appie Kuipers

muzikant

1000RPM
Apr 19, 2010
Last edited:
Reactions: Appie Kuipers