Alright when was that again.....?

My point is just that you don't need to be racing at 100% all the time. And sometimes the wise thing to do is to drive at 97% and let someone pass you, even if it messes up your lap a little bit. But that comes from maturity, which I think Max is developing.

Was Ocon at fault? Sure he was. I look at it like when I am at a 4-way intersection. I may have the right-of-way and can proceed through the intersection legally, but if I see a car that may not be stopping, I don't proceed through the intersection. Now if I go through and my car gets hit I am not at fault at all. But I still have a damaged car and a lot of inconveniences, plus possibly an injury. The wise thing to do is to wait, even if it costs me some time. This is even more prudent if I have some extra time to arrive at my destination.

Max could have let Ocon go, saved his race, and cruised to a victory. But that would require swallowing a bit of pride and aggression. The wise drivers know how to manage the race.
Completely agree with this, with maturity it will come wise decisions. I just hope he will not get Merc level car when that comes. Don’t want repeat of this era. :roflmao:

Last edited:
The thing about Max is that he got into F1 during this unequalled period of car dominance by Mercedes. Considering that, I think he has done really well. He is clearly at Hamilton's level in terms of ability but not at Hamilton's level of experience. Remember, Hamilton also made mistakes in his first years in F1 and he started with the top team with the best car. Pretty much all his career has been with top teams actually.
For a top driver, it is relatively easy in F1 terms, to achieve success when in the consistently best car and consistently best team, so, considering this, I can understand Max's frustration at times. Hamilton was just as frustrated when Vettel had the best car and team.

Last edited:
I know there are some fellow IndyCar fans lurking on RD! Those that care to do so should consider taking the survey IndyCar is currently running re: their social media strategy:

The series has been a ton of fun for quite a few years running now and I think (or maybe "hope") they may be starting to crawl along the road back to respectability on the international stage. If you agree with me, this survey is a great chance to help the series understand what they can be doing better to engage with fans (and attract new ones, too!)

Merc was the fastest after the track began to dry. Hamilton couldn't do **** while it was super wet and they had no DRS.
Are you New to racing?
Or did you miss the dry practice sessions?

You also need intelligence as race driver and pick your moments...

there was only one racing line most of the time on a newly resurfaced track in the wet.

Go off the line to make a move and a few cars will pass you..Lewis learnt that early and got passed and decided to engage his strategy.

Charles done it on the last lap...and gave a nice podium to Vettel.

This is all obvious stuff we all saw.

Intelligence and patience matters too.

Last edited:
I don't agree with that. We've had many interesting races in dry conditions over the last years. And a race is so much more than just the winner anyway.

PS I could also name a few utterly boring races won by a Ferrari or a Red Bull.

It's not that I'm against Merc winning. It's that I'm against monotony since 7 years regarding the top positions. We have one team which has won around 90 races of 135 since 2014. Also there is either RB or Ferrari who sometimes are able to win or take the rest of the podium places. This year is a bit different because Ferrari sucks big time. F1 became so predictable that's what upsets me most.

It’s all so simple , the RBR IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH, and at the start of the season they are rubbish like every year!
Not rubbisch still (mostly) better than the other 8 teams, but not good enough to beat Mercedes.
In a world without Mercedes they would be the top dog, being half a second faster than the rest.
So you have the space to setup the car more fogiving, making it easier to drive ahead.

Last edited:
So you have the space to setup the car more forgiving, making it easier to drive ahead.
You can do that if you want to just keep your position. If you want to attack ahead you can't go for forgiving setup. ;) And do we know even, is RB clear 2nd with all cars on"default setup" or they only become clear 2nd in Max's hands with unforgiving setup? That is something only them in the team know...

I see as great example of forgiving setup, Merc. Hamilton can go for forgiving setup and be safe most of the time, which helps in races like this. While Bottas needs more unforgiving just to try to keep up with Hamilton, which doesn't help in races like this. :roflmao:

Last edited:
But you can't always blame the car. Yesterday, the Mercedes was far from being the fastest car, and Qualifying proved that. In the race, Hamilton did not need the win yet was able to stay composed and his skill and maturity rewarded him with first place.

Conversely, Verstappen had the fastest car (so we are led to believe, post Qualifying), was unable to get his car off the line, had more spins than my washing machine on housework day, and threw his race away with amateurish overtaking attempts.

That was not the result of overdriving a slower car - that was simply Verstappen beating himself, spoiling his own race. You max fans can't have it both ways - it can't be down to the car when Hamilton wins, but down to max's "skill" when he wins. Yesterday just reinforced my opinion that verstappen is either short on intelligence or maturity. And as we are drawing to the close of his 6th season in F1, one of those two possibilities is unfortunately starting to look more and more likely.

Max reminds me so much of his father when the toys fly out the pram. He has great skills but needs a team that's tougher on him then Red Bull to put him in his place and then he might be great all round.

How do you know that Hamilton doesn't also have a fast, unforgiving set-up, and that the Merc is only fast in his hands?

What about the possibility that the RB is a faster car than the Merc, but that Hamilton is just a much better driver than Verstappen?

You don't know these thing - you just guess at them, and fabricate scenarios to explain things that you don't really want to know the answers to.

Not rubbisch still (mostly) better than the other 8 teams, but not good enough to beat Mercedes.
In a world without Mercedes they would be the top dog, being half a second faster than the rest.
So you have the space to setup the car more fogiving, making it easier to drive ahead.
About setup, they made a mistake with the front wing, instead giving more downforce, they made it less on one side.

How do you know that Hamilton doesn't also have a fast, unforgiving set-up, and that the Merc is only fast in his hands?

What about the possibility that the RB is a faster car than the Merc, but that Hamilton is just a much better driver than Verstappen?

You don't know these thing - you just guess at them, and fabricate scenarios to explain things that you don't really want to know the answers to.

To be frank, your suggestion is REALLY stretching logic! The dominance of the Mercedes cars is very obvious, apart from to Hamilton fans.
Lewis achieved 1 WDC and 20+ something wins from 2007 to 2013 incl. .. ie in 7 years
Lewis achieved 6 WDC and 73+ wins from 2014 to 2020, ie. 7 years

Bottas suddenly became a race-winner once he joined Mercedes. Hamilton is by far the better driver in that team and with Bottas as team-mate next year, it will WDC number 8.
I don't know of a sport where the champion a year ahead is already known.

Are you New to racing?
Or did you miss the dry practice sessions?

You also need intelligence as race driver and pick your moments...

there was only one racing line most of the time on a newly resurfaced track in the wet.

Go off the line to make a move and a few cars will pass you..Lewis learnt that early and got passed and decided to engage his strategy.

Charles done it on the last lap...and gave a nice podium to Vettel.

This is all obvious stuff we all saw.

Intelligence and patience matters too.
Ah yes, practice sessions. Where our lord and savior Bottas is a world champion.

It doesn't change the fact that, once the track began to dry, Merc was quick again, and Racing Point was no match for it. Nobody denies Hamilton is a good driver, but people are exaggerating when they say Merc car was bad in Turkey.

Ah yes, practice sessions. Where our lord and savior Bottas is a world champion.

It doesn't change the fact that, once the track began to dry, Merc was quick again, and Racing Point was no match for it. Nobody denies Hamilton is a good driver, but people are exaggerating when they say Merc car was bad in Turkey.

Sometimes it's not about who scores but who drops the ball.

Of course I don't know them, nobody really knows except people in teams, so I can only guess based on what I saw in last 20 years. And based on that I can be pretty sure that Hamilton is faster and better driver than Bottas. Also I can be pretty sure that Merc car is better car than RB. So Hamilton doesn't have to risk it all, and can play with his setup a bit. That's just what his car and his abilities allow him. Again, only using what I "know" based on what I see on track (I don't count what I read from reporters, only what I see on track). :thumbsup:

About RB being better than Merc, I know you don't mean that. Because just going from Hamilton to Max, to Ricciardo, to Vettel and comparing Merc to RB and all the way back in history. We would probably be able to say "Under assumption that Merc 2020 is worse than RB 2020. We can conclude that Fangio was slowest driver in 50s." :roflmao:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 71 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 99 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 140 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 265 27.6%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 381 39.7%