Alright when was that again.....?

So that's the track surface iRacing bases its asphalt on... ;) (just kidding, I like iRacing actually)

I'm not a fan of artificially making tracks more slippery (this is in reference to Karun's commentary and @Paul Jeffrey )...the reason cars had to drift through to corners is because that was the fastest way before aero, and getting around the fastest way possible is what F1 and racing is about. Now that the cars have advanced so much that the cars can handle the grip needed and it's for the driver to have faster reflexes and handle the higher G-forces for longer, we want to devolve road surfaces to be less grippier because drifting looks cool? "What are we doing here, honestly...I'm going home!" :roflmao:

To each their own but for me: Nah no thanks, downforce is awesome LOL. Let's not move backwards for nostalgia sake and safety be damned...but I know that's not always a popular opinion :whistling:

Last edited:
Saw Friday Practice this morning. Max fastest and Lewis down in mid pack. This is not uncommon for Friday practice as top drivers save speed for Qualifying. Friday is just a session to collect data and learn track, especially when we have not been their for some time. So time is important but not as important in qualifying. Friday is basically a test session with all the drivers in attendance.

Max... he is on his best season so far and only has one victory in the bag yet this year... he deserves another victory as the only one giving the superior Mercedes a run for its money this year.

The clock doesn't care who deserves a win or not. Come qualifying time, I fully expect Mercedes be back up to 1-2, the difference in last qualifying was 0.5 seconds to Max. In the race it will again be Max against two Mercedes cars as Albon is nowhere, so Mercedes would have to fail big time with strategy on both of their cars.

All the teams were struggling today to find the right aero and suspension set up to get the tires into the right temperature window. The circuit was just resurfaced 10 days ago with extra smooth asphalt, they decided not to take any of the usual measures to deal with oil that seeps out after repaving, and no one told Pirelli in time so they sent the hardest three compounds they have. In this crazy situation I wouldn't be entirely surprised if Mercedes doesn't find just the right setup for the tires and misses out on pole and/or the win. That's basically what happed at the second Silverstone race this summer that used softer tires than the first race and Red Bull just found a better setup for those tires. Then again, I wouldn't be surprised if Mercedes walks away with another weekend

They actually have a session scheduled tonight for road cars to lap the circuit for two hours to help lay more rubber down, lol

Last edited:
Looking Good for Redbull.

This is my favorite track .......and from what I remember its going to be action .....For those who don't know the track ....well Lewis will show you how its done

Wait....no...wait...so you mean to tell me...that there's proof that Lewis Hamilton could actually win races? Without a dominating Merc or McLaren? That he is actually <gasp>...an EXTREMELY TALENTED DRIVER?! I was told on good authority (dem internetz) that IT IS ONLY BECAUSE OF THE CAR FOR YEARS!!! WHERE IS THE MANAGER?! Paul...? Bram...? ;)

(in case you missed it: he's in the best car because he's the best driver and has earned his McLaren and Mercedes seats...Max is great, but was born too late lol)

Love the low grip surface! Man, to see F1 cars sideways again was a sight to behold. Absolutely magical and for me the idea Karun Chandhok had in commentary about developing some kind of low grip surface covering that could be sprayed onto a track (or easier still, just give 'em super hard no grip tyres) would be amazing.

It has been longer than I can remember since I actually enjoyed the sight of a Formula One car lapping on track. Sideways drifting. Amazing.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but road cars are currently lapping the track trying to lay down some rubber to make the surface less slippery. And that it just ridiculous. This is F1, not racing school. Let them deal with the track conditions and it will be a good show.

Last edited:
Love the low grip surface! Man, to see F1 cars sideways again was a sight to behold. Absolutely magical and for me the idea Karun Chandhok had in commentary about developing some kind of low grip surface covering that could be sprayed onto a track (or easier still, just give 'em super hard no grip tyres) would be amazing.

It has been longer than I can remember since I actually enjoyed the sight of a Formula One car lapping on track. Sideways drifting. Amazing.
Can anyone think of 'some kind of low grip surface covering that could be sprayed onto a track' ??
anyone
anyone
Bueller
Bueller
Nope.Cant think of anything. I'll go fill the kettle with water and have a cuppa.
I'm sure I can come up with something that can be 'developed'....

Sorry to burst your bubble, but road cars are currently lapping the track trying to lay down some rubber to make the surface less slippery. And that it just ridiculous. This is F1, not racing school. Let them deal with the track conditions and it will be a good show.

The issue is that the tyres aren't just 'low grip' but they're graining and totally inconsistent, because they're designed for a certain operating window. Lower grip tyres with a larger operating window would be great, but these are just gonna grain and blister, which means it won't come down to someone man handling their car it'll just be that suddenly certain drivers will lose all their grip and go backwards regardless of skill.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 72 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 99 10.2%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 141 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 266 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 385 39.8%