Alright when was that again.....?

That is right you have to pace yourself and look after the power unit. Alain Prost won 4 tittles by winning the race in the slowest time. Its hard to get your head around how he won so many races.
Its like a sprinter in a marathon, He has the mentality to go fast the entire event and he will probably loose out in the final stages.
Yeah, Prost was one of those methodical guys that you loved to watch during a race because you couldn't figure him out. I always equated him with an American baseball pitcher who strikes out batters with nothing more than fastballs and change ups. He was very deceptive behind the wheel, which is why he is deservedly one of the few greatest of all time.

There are a lot of great French drivers, but he's my most admired from France. The professor was a spot on name for him.

Too bad you've missed the F1 races since Verstappen is racing in F1. I advice you to start watching. It's supernice to see him driving if you ask me. :)

Thought you might like to see this from the official F1 site, and calculated by super computers. These are official number regarding who is fastest all-time, and not just today.

I have been lucky to have attended several F1 races around the world over the years. I often think of the first race I attended at Detroit in 1982.

I grew up in Columbus Ohio and have always been an F1 fan. When I learned that F1 was coming to Detroit, my friends and I started to make plans. One of my friends dad a small RV and he drove us to Detroit on Friday afternoon. We had no plans for what we would do when we arrived after midnight. After arriving in downtown Detroit, we just randomly drove around and were able to just back the RV up to one of the straights that connected the 90 degree corners.

Once we parked, we started to walk around the track, there was zero security. We watched some of the workers welding man hole covers so the cars would not pop them off when they drove over them. After a couple hours of touring the track we went to bed and said to each over "I want to wake to the sound of whining turbos." We did.

Since this was the first year of the race in Detroit, organization was limited. It turns out, where we parked was somehow inside the paid fences. We never paid any money to park or attend the events.

Some of the fun things we did during the weekend included watching the teams work on the cars in the paddock which was in the nearby Cobo arena, attending the F1 ball at the Renaissance center, getting close to the pits and watching the action, talking to Didier Pironi as he walked to the Ferrari pits (Gilles Villeneuve was my favorite driver but he died earlier in the year). For the most part, we just sat on top of the RV and watched the race. The cars zipped by less then 10 feet from where we parked. John Watson won the race. It was great.

Does anyone else have a fun first F1 race story?

Thought you might like to see this from the official F1 site, and calculated by super computers. These are official number regarding who is fastest all-time, and not just today.

How is Verstappen that close to Hamilton? If that is your prove, you was wrong about how bad and slow he is. Makes sense how lots of people comparing them. Also both Vettel and Leclerc are topping Bottas. How could Bottas ever be a no1 driver in any other team then Mercedes, if both Ferrari drivers and Verstappen are faster according to your source? Looks like he has Hamilton, Ferrari and Verstappen in front of him. Not really a change to be the no.1 driver in those teams. He is more close to Kubica, then them.

Last edited:
AI / algorithms etc takes a team of human operators to make it work (or not..); for example there's a lot of controversy here about algorithm student grades which has turned out farcical.
There's probably a disproportionate number of 2020 inclusions there to try and generate hype about the current pilots
That's a f1 (by new American owners) commissioned effort after all.

How is Verstappen that close to Hamilton? If that is your prove, you was wrong about how bad and slow he is. Makes sense how lots of people comparing them. Also both Vettel and Leclerc are topping Bottas. How could Bottas ever be a no1 driver in any other team then Mercedes, if both Ferrari drivers and Verstappen are faster according to your source? Looks like he has Hamilton, Ferrari and Verstappen in front of him. Not really a change to be the no.1 driver in those teams. He is more close to Kubica, then them.
People aren't comparing them because they are anything alike. Verstappen is fast, not as fast as Lewis but fast. The problem with Verstappen after coming to the conclusion that he is quick, you quickly find that there is nothing else except that he is quick. Hamilton has a package of strengths that put him where he is today. Quickness, and slowness when needed, patience, wheel to wheel driving, exceptional tire management skills. He;s the absolute best in the wet stuff, and no one comes close. The guy is amazing. Then you have the fact that some put him in front of both Senna and definitely in front of Schumi because unlike them he has always been a very clean driver.

Bottom line though, you said that Verstappen was quicker when I just knew that he wasn't. That is what I mean when I say that Verstappen fans just make crap up to make him look great. That boy couldn't hold Hamilton's helmet for him.

I haven't been to an F1 race yet but I used to live in Long Beach, CA and got to see the Cart/Champ Cars there a bunch of times even rode my skateboard around the whole track. The sound those things made was amazing and insanely loud its crazy how far away you could hear them! My uncle used to work at a burger joint at the bottom of hill on Pine Ave right next to turn 8 on the track and I would watch through the gap in fencing there and get free lunch LOL. My first F1 race though would probably end up being Canada one day since its the closest to me now. Unfortunately the New Jersey/New York F1 race never happened otherwise that would of only been minutes away from me.

Would agree that the generated rating lists can't be taken very seriously. It is futile trying to compare 80s driver performance with 2020s drivers. For example it isnt believable that prost is a worse driver than some of those 2nd tier drivers around 8-15. No Mansell.. huh, that says all you need to know about this algorithm effort. Sorry.
The article clearly says it is about qualifying results only.
Prost was better racer than qualifier it seems.

I haven't been to an F1 race yet but I used to live in Long Beach, CA and got to see the Cart/Champ Cars there a bunch of times even rode my skateboard around the whole track. The sound those things made was amazing and insanely loud its crazy how far away you could hear them! My uncle used to work at a burger joint at the bottom of hill on Pine Ave right next to turn 8 on the track and I would watch through the gap in fencing there and get free lunch LOL. My first F1 race though would probably end up being Canada one day since its the closest to me now. Unfortunately the New Jersey/New York F1 race never happened otherwise that would of only been minutes away from me.
I would love to attend a race at the historic Long Beach track. Let's hope COTA comes back next year. COTA is a great place to attend.

People aren't comparing them because they are anything alike. Verstappen is fast, not as fast as Lewis but fast. The problem with Verstappen after coming to the conclusion that he is quick, you quickly find that there is nothing else except that he is quick. Hamilton has a package of strengths that put him where he is today. Quickness, and slowness when needed, patience, wheel to wheel driving, exceptional tire management skills. He;s the absolute best in the wet stuff, and no one comes close. The guy is amazing. Then you have the fact that some put him in front of both Senna and definitely in front of Schumi because unlike them he has always been a very clean driver.

Bottom line though, you said that Verstappen was quicker when I just knew that he wasn't. That is what I mean when I say that Verstappen fans just make crap up to make him look great. That boy couldn't hold Hamilton's helmet for him.

But Verstappens' pace is that fast, 0.005+ compared to Hamilton and is 22 years old. Imagine how fast his real true pace is, considering what all he is doing wrong according to you.

Last edited:
But Verstappens' pace is that fast, 0.005+ compared to Hamilton and is 22 years old. Imagine how fast his real true pace is, considering what all he is doing wrong according to you.
Oh don't be silly you goose! I didn't say that the was doing anything right or wrong, I was simply telling you all the other skills that he doesn't possess.

Oh don't be silly you goose! I didn't say that the was doing anything right or wrong, I was simply telling you all the other skills that he doesn't possess.

Don't you think it's a funny chart either? So much current drivers. Also Kubica faster then Prost.

TELEMMGLPICT000195357533_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqzMzojzwVX9SBGhgJ0n-GX2Eufu6Xj3IyT0vVd5gIj4E.jpg

Last edited:
Don't you think it's a funny chart either? So much current drivers. Also Kubica faster then Prost.
Prost was deceptively fast, and speed was not his greatest strength. Prost was calculating and methodical about scoring just enough of the points that he needed to win. He was a great wheel to wheel driver also which is why he could sometimes hang with Senna in competition. I keep telling you that speed alone isn't going to win races.

...speed alone isn't going to win races.
Speed alone surely isn' t enough because if you put any driver be it Senna, Hamilton or Verstappen in Haas or even Ferrari they wouldn't win a single race.

Car performance + team strategy + driver strategy + speed alone... all these make up for final result. Car performance of course being most important.

It would be interesting to see drivers racecraft comparison if they somehow manage to build such algorithm too

No stories to tell here since I've never been to a Grand Prix. Been watching on TV since 1994 though.
TV is great but there are certain elements of the F1 experience that are not captured unless you attend a race.

Another vivid memory I have was from the Canadian GP in the early 1980's. It was the ground effect era. Before the Canadian track was reconfigured, there was a flat-out left-right section of track about where the current pit-in is location. Watching the ground effect cars going through this section of track may be the most impressive sensation of speed I have ever seen at a race track.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 92 7.7%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 125 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 171 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 336 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 465 39.0%