Alright when was that again.....?

Voting is open for the RaceDepartment Formula One 'Driver of the Day' from the Spanish Grand Prix.

Barcelona 2020 certainly won't be going down in the record books as a classic Grand Prix, far from it. That said, with the 20 Formula One drivers lining up on the grid and giving it their all for 60+ laps at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya today, who do our RaceDepatment community think was the best performing of the bunch?

Did Lewis Hamilton catch the eye out front in the dominant Mercedes, how about one of the Racing Point pair in last years Silver Arrow, or does someone further down the finishing order deserve credit for their performance today? Let us know your thoughts in the poll and comments section below!

F1 foote.jpg

Attachments

• F1 header.jpg
    F1 header.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 214
Last edited:
Yes, I find it very strange when one driver has 8 DNFs and the other driver has 2 in 2018, but every year before that season Ricciardo scored more points than Verstappen every year. It's just t bad that trickery was afoot from daddy Verstappen in the background making deals for his little boy.

Lewis was placed at McLaren because Dennis desperately wanted him on the team. He knew that he was ready for the next level. Verstappen came into the sport crashing into everyone and everything, hence the nickname "Crashstappen". I can't help that other drivers had to start at lower teams, but obviously Ron Dennis felt that Lewis was ready, and he acted on it. It's pretty obvious why Dennis rolled the dice to get Lewis on his team. As a rookie Lewis handled Alonso like a veteran, but Verstappen didn't do the same against Ricciardo because he couldn't.

It's obvious why Rosberg is saying these things now versus what he used to say. It's because he isn't angry anymore about what happened between he and Lewis, so he can now tell what was always true to him before. He seems at peace now that he isn't dueling with Lewis. He's enjoying life and his retirement.

It's not just Rosberg who thinks that Lewis is the greatest. Murray Walker is a legend in the sport and he already believes what many already feel about Lewis, that Lewis is the greatest driver of all-time. He said this just last week. Verstappen fans seem so desperate to elevate him, but really he is only a good driver by comparison, not great by any means. Honestly Ricciardo is much better, and I am sure that Crashstappen knows it as well.
When Verstappen drove his first weekend for Red Bull and was hardly any slower than Ricciardo and later on even won that race.
Everybody with a bit of racing sense knew that Ricciardo's days where going to end soon at RB.

Ok the Mercs collided out of the race.
But still he kept it together without loosing it.
Any idea how much pressure a driver has to cope with and still need to perform?
Especially when you driving first.

We where talking about a 17 year old boy with hardly any real race car experience that was doing laptimes comparable to the big boys who been driving for years in F1.
In F3 he was sometimes up to 2 seconds faster than anybody on the track, that's an eternity in a single make class.

Lewis is for sure a living legend, his records will probably never be matched.
But Verstappen on on his own is one of the best drivers F1 has seen for a very long time.
Bottas can match the times that Lewis drives, but Verstappens teammates are half a second slower.
If there is anything where you can see how fast a driver really is, it's rain.
There is only 2 people that put the rest to shame in these conditions. Lewis and Max.

It's the car it's the car....am beginning to understand people cannot accept that he has a winning team... It's a package...Driver and Team And F1 has pretty much been this way.

it's a team sport as well as driver. The best driver's go to the best teams.. nothing to do with luck. Schumacher or Ayrton didn't get top drives by Luck. If Max really wanted Bottas seat he could of had it. So let's not complain "if" he was in a Mercedes.

Redbull, Ferrari are not broke teams... they have talent and resources, why don't people complain about them not doing a better job to make the Racing more interesting?
I feel like the more people moan and hate the faster Lewis and Mercedes gets .
That's ok I guess...

Gonna be an unpopular one I already know it but for me Stroll was great today right up until his strategy got a big messed up near the end, his start was amazing

I picked Stroll too. Very solid drive, no mistakes, almost on the podium and consistently ahead of his teammate.

But what a snoozefest that was. All drivers a lap behind Hamilton except Bottas and Verstappen... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz… Thank God we have the Indy 500 next week and Spa in two weeks.

When Verstappen drove his first weekend for Red Bull and was hardly any slower than Ricciardo and later on even won that race.
Everybody with a bit of racing sense knew that Ricciardo's days where going to end soon at RB.

Ok the Mercs collided out of the race.
But still he kept it together without loosing it.
Any idea how much pressure a driver has to cope with and still need to perform?
Especially when you driving first.

We where talking about a 17 year old boy with hardly any real race car experience that was doing laptimes comparable to the big boys who been driving for years in F1.
In F3 he was sometimes up to 2 seconds faster than anybody on the track, that's an eternity in a single make class.

Lewis is for sure a living legend, his records will probably never be matched.
But Verstappen on on his own is one of the best drivers F1 has seen for a very long time.
Bottas can match the times that Lewis drives, but Verstappens teammates are half a second slower.
If there is anything where you can see how fast a driver really is, it's rain.
There is only 2 people that put the rest to shame in these conditions. Lewis and Max.
Bottas can't match Lewis in any way, and they are driving exactly the same car through and through. Verstappen's teammates however have to contend with a car that was molded for Verstappen and not them. They are basically having to wear a custom suit that is custom fitted to another guy's body. But when Ricciardo was driving for Red Bull there were no cars molded for any a specific driver. That is why Ricciardo beat Verstappen every single year in points except for 2018 when he never got to race a proper F1 race car because they wouldn't make it reliable. I felt so bad for Ricciardo that year

I'm just not that impressed with Verstatppen at all, not one bit.

Hamilton will be remembered as one of the greatest drivers and the most lucky driver ever with his team choices. Also his achievements are going to be devaluated because everybody will be remembered that as a rookie that lost a wdc that he had completely in the bag with 2 races to the end of the season and lost if because he entered in a pointless battle of egos with a team mate that he had already beaten when he only needed a handful of points to seal the wdc, and turned oud that he ended equaled on points with that egocentric and paranoid worldchampion that was loosing his mind all season long seeing ghosts in a british team in where the british owner was as madly in love with his british protegè as much as Helmut Marko is with Verstappen.

Almost lost a wdc in the last race again against an upper midfield driver that should had been steamrolled with races to spare, was beated by other world champion that at one point was ridiculed by not british media as he was for some time the driver with most race entries without a race victory, guy that just lucked into an overpowered car for 1 season to win a devaluated wdc against another overrated future wdc and a team mate that never had freedom to fight him.

And finaly he and another driver that never won a race before nor did anything to write home about before with the exception of a pointless fastest lap suddenly happens both to be hired by what it turns out to be the most overpowered team in the sport history and overnight both of them seem like unbeatable racing gods for 3 seasons straight, after that other upper midfield driver is hired and overnight seems another racing god fighting for pole positions and some race victories, hired in a Barrichello role to keep clinching succesive wdc's without even having to break to sweat meanwhile the team claims how hard the fight for every victory was and how they are the underdogs and that guys that are in cars 0.5 seconds slower are serious threats for their victories. All the while they let some other team win a handful of races every season in order to not get their huge advantage nerfed by the FIA, so they can keep winning at pleasure.

We are privileged, we are witnessing history.

@ZuneGuy Verstappen also overtook Bottas @ Monaco. In a Toro Rosso. Hamilton (Mercedes) just has a much faster car then everybody else. That's why they win races. Even a slower racing driver like Bottas will have a podium everyday in a Mercedes that is build towards Hamiltons' liking. Verstappen destroy his team mates, that's why they are leaving. Hamilton would also leave Mercedes in a year if Verstappen become his team mate.

This race Hamilton was a bit lucky with the tyres. Last 2 races he failed to manage them. One race he was having a flat tyre in the last lap and the race after he made them blister and wear so fast, I've never seen that bad tyre management before. Verstappen did so much better, he even won the race vs. a superiour Mercedes car of Hamilton.
When was Crashstappen in a Toro Rosso and Bottas was in a Merc? You must mean that Crash was driving a Toro Rosso when Bottas was at Williams, otherwise you make no sense.

Now, as for Crashstappen, you are not going to convince me that a guy who crashes his car while driving to the starting line is any good. I mean he didn't get the name Crashstappen for nothing. Personally I have never heard of any diver doing that. I've also never heard of any driver who is in the lead of a race getting into a tangle, and crashing his car with the very last guy on track. It takes real brains to do something like that. But that's why people gave him the name Crash though isn't it? The guy got dusted by Ricciardo every year - every year.

Crash has never impressed me. i mean why doesn't Red Bull give their other drivers cars molded to them, because Red Bull are idiots who can't win a race, and they are jealous of Mercedes, and it's sad. Crash has one win this year, and only because the other team made a poor choice of tire strategy. But you enjoy that one win why don't you...

I could easily make the argument that Bottas is slow because Mercedes develops the car to Hamilton's liking and I would have as much proof as your "theory" regarding Red Bull. It's not uncommon for a driver to blame the car when they are slow, we heard it from all Schumacher's team-mates etc. How do you tell the difference between a driver just being slow and the car being intentionally made difficult for them to drive? Ricciardo by the way managed to win every year when racing as Max's team-mate, so looks like they didn't sabotage his car quite as much then.
Stop making crap up, Mercedes does not develop their cars to any one driver, but Red Bull does, in fact that have mentioned it during a race on Sky Sports. Bottas is given a fair chance to race Lewis, unlike both Gasly and Albon, Those guys have been given a stacked deck. Stop wasting my time telling me what you could easily do and show me. Keep in mind I will still always think and know that Crashstappen is not a great driver, just a good driver.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 78 7.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 122 10.9%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 163 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 308 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 444 39.7%