• 23000+ Members! Dear Guest, join the community on the official RD Discord server today.   learn more

Who do you think will win the Spanish Grand Prix?

• Total voters

2020 Formula One Spanish Grand Prix | Discussion Thread

Welcome to the central discussion thread for the 2020 Formula One Spanish Grand Prix, round six of the shortened 2020 Formula One World Championship season.

Two races at the Red Bull Ring, a short hop to the Hungaroring and then a double 70th Anniversary celebration at Silverstone later, and the Formula One circus heads to the track perhaps best known by all the drivers in the field - the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya in Spain.

With the European summer in full swing, temperatures in Barcelona are expected to remain somewhat on the high side this coming weekend - which sets up the tantalising prospect of another potentially challenging weekend for the tyre limited Mercedes team, assuming the Brackley outfit fail to get on top of the issues experienced last time out at Silverstone.

Red Bull, and in particular Max Verstappen head to Barcelona on a high following their unexpected victory last time out, and the weekend of activity could be fascinating to see if the Austrian outfit have what it takes to mount a serious title challenge, or if the anniversary Grand Prix result was more a product of circumstance than outright lap pace.

Can Ferrari find something deep in their reserves to pull off a result, are Renault able to take it to McLaren again - all these questions and more are going to be asked, and answered over the coming weekend...

Should be a great race!

Spanish GP Footer.jpg

Last edited:
RaceDepartment Editor-in-Chief, occasional YouTuber, commentator and broadcaster, with a passion for motorsport on both the real and virtual racetrack.

rubaru

4000RPM
Dec 7, 2015
I think everyone knows that the heat will play a role here, but how much as compared to Silverstone? This track is hard on the left tyres, just like Silverstone, so the potential is there for another Mercedes collapse if they can't get a proper strategy to manage it. In the heat (which I expect), I think we are looking at another win from Max. If Mercedes can manage the tyres, then Hamilton will win by half a lap. 25% chance for rain...that should be fun.

Reactions: ast654

BrainsBush

500RPM
Jun 16, 2017
I'm ready for it again.
Enjoy the >31 degrees sunny race weekend at Barcelona.

I think Mercedes 'learned' from their 'mistake/wrong strategy' and are able to change very quickly.
So Lewis will win. Although I hope for Max again.

Midfield is also very competitive and anything can happen. Will Checo be top fit again to perform at the highest level?
Hopefully good battles ON the track and less battles on paper.

As multiple entries are possible I voted for both Lewis and Max. Is that cheating or within the rules of the FIA uuuh RD :p

Last edited:

dcully

250RPM
Jun 22, 2008
Am sure you've been wishing that for years......any luck so far?

Funny how some humans wish for others' downfall to make progress.

Maybe he just doesnt like hamilton? He is not well liked afterall so its just a tad possible.
Or maybe as he says it might actually make it interesting in the coming races.

Reactions: M-Bimmer and ast654

Enagee

500RPM
Oct 15, 2010
Maybe he just doesnt like hamilton? He is not well liked afterall so its just a tad possible.
Fair enough ...that's pretty standard. I just can't get the mentality of one who thinks the only way to succeed in anything in life, is for someone else to fail.

i thought the aim was to beat someone fair and square, no excuses. Just like last weekend.

Ronaldoz87

75RPM
Apr 28, 2019
So much people voted for Verstappen (including me, but that's not serious). I don't think they have such tire problems anymore and they seem pretty fast in P1 already. Or maybe they are having fun with their party mode, as long as they could. :)

Mcorp

100RPM
Aug 6, 2017
It's not that i don't like him, but i wanna see close racing. when a car is that much better i don't think it's a fair.

And again it's not that i like Max more but i want to see a closer championship.

ZuneGuy

100RPM
Nov 8, 2010
Man I am loving Rosberg these days! He made Free P2 so enjoyable this morning, and he's a wealth of info as an ex driver. The commentators were talking about what Bottas needs to do to get back in the championship fight. Rosberg explains how Lewis has the gift of managing his tires, that he knows the absolute feel for his tires and how he is able to push his front brake bias so far forward and and never lock up because he has so much finesse for the tires, and more than anyone else in the field, and that it's not something that can be learned in a simulator.

Then (of course because they are always trying to compare Verstappen with Lewis) they ask Rosberg if he thinks that Verstappen has that same kind of gift to feel the tires like Lewis, and I liked that Rosberg didn't just give a canned answer to compare Verstappen with Lewis because I am so tired of hearing that. Rosberg did not think that it was a strength that Verstappen posses, and you could just tell that they did not like his answer. An ex driver who was once Hamilton's arch rival even knows that the talent of Lewis is incomparable in the sport today. Everyone is trying to build Verstappen as the next coming - uh no.

Last edited:

Mcorp

100RPM
Aug 6, 2017
Man I am loving Rosberg these days! He made Free P2 so enjoyable this morning, and he's a wealth of info as an ex driver. The commentators were talking about what Bottas needs to do to get back in the championship fight. Rosberg explains how Lewis has the gift of managing his tires, that he knows the absolute feel for his tires and how he is able to push his front brake bias so far forward and and never lock up because he has so much finesse for the tires, and more than anyone else in the field, and that it's not something that can be learned in a simulator.

Then (of course because they are always trying to compare Verstappen with Lewis) they ask Rosberg if he thinks that Verstappen has that same kind of gift to feel the tires like Lewis, and I liked that Rosberg didn't just give a canned answer to compare Verstappen with Lewis because I am so tired of hearing that. Rosberg did not think that it was a strength that Verstappen posses, and you could just tell that they did not like his answer. An ex driver who was once Hamilton's arch rival even knows that the talent of Lewis is incomparable in the sport today. Everyone is trying to build Verstappen as the next coming - uh no.
to be honest i think Max is better than Hamilton these days, Hamilton is a very good and talented driver and yes one of the best, but i think the last 3 championships are because of the Mercedes. Bottas i don't see as a talent like Max and Hamilton but Look how close they are, and if Bottas is in front he always has a problem or needs to let Hamilton in front.
Again i don't hate or dislike Hamilton but i think he is (the last 3 years) overratted. and yes i am dutch (but not a Max fan) but i think Max is the better one now just look on how he drives in a lesser car and declasses his team mates.

muzikant

1000RPM
Apr 19, 2010

ZuneyGuy... its a matter of time. Max is by far the most tallented driver. The only thing he needs is a better car. Rosberg talk like the weather... he change every time his story. Try to read Peter Winsor!
Tallent? Lewis never has to push his car to much.. with all credits to the merc engine. Dont get me wrong Lewis is outstanding good driver but xxxxx years with no competition it is easy. Hope Redbull or Ferrari comes, closser Leclerce or Max... for a real battle.. then we know how good Lewis is.... I mean wheel to wheel.

Last edited:

ZuneGuy

100RPM
Nov 8, 2010
to be honest i think Max is better than Hamilton these days, Hamilton is a very good and talented driver and yes one of the best, but i think the last 3 championships are because of the Mercedes. Bottas i don't see as a talent like Max and Hamilton but Look how close they are, and if Bottas is in front he always has a problem or needs to let Hamilton in front.
Again i don't hate or dislike Hamilton but i think he is (the last 3 years) overratted. and yes i am dutch (but not a Max fan) but i think Max is the better one now just look on how he drives in a lesser car and declasses his team mates.
Max Verstappen is a good driver, that's it. Personally I have always been more impressed with the performances of Daniel Ricciardo when he was with Red Bull. The only reason that Verstappen looks better than both Gasly and Albon is because his teammates have to drive a car that is made and molded from the Verstappen template, and that's the point to Verstappen's success over his teamates today.

Red Bull didn't make cars molded to any particular driver when Ricciardo was on the team because there was no clear number one driverat the time, and that explains why Ricciardo handled Verstappen much better than both Gasly and Albon. The problem with that though was that Ricciardo was a threat to the senior Verstappen's plans. That is why Red Bull continuously gave Ricciardo bad cars, while Verstappen had better cars after 2017 but before those shenanigans started happening, Ricciardo continuously outscored Verstappen for points every season.

You see, the only reason that Ricciardo isn't on the team today is because Ricciardo didn't have a father and former F1 driver sitting in the paddock during every race negotiating deals, and speaking for him. Ricciardo had to do everything on his own merits (just as a young man should be taught to do) and Ricciardo did just that. Verstappen has an ex-driver father with who knows how to talk and negotiate for his son, and that is why Verstappen isn't the real deal, he didn't do **** on his own. He had daddy do it for him. Now he has teamates who are forced to drive cars that are not configured to their liking. No one would wear a custom suit that was tailored for another man's body, and I can imagine that is what both Gasly and Albon feel as though they are/were wearing an uncomfortable suit.

Today Rosberg echoed the same thing that I have said for so long - Ricciardo should be driving for a better team. He's much better than Verstappen because he proved it during his Red Bull years.

• Sad
Reactions: Fucitol

ZuneGuy

100RPM
Nov 8, 2010
ZuneyGuy... its a matter of time. Max is by far the most tallented driver. The only thing he needs is a better car. Rosberg talk like the weather... he change every time his story. Try to read Peter Winsor!
Tallent? Lewis never has to push his car to much.. with all credits to the merc engine. Dont get me wrong Lewis is outstanding good driver but xxxxx years with no competition it is easy. Hope Redbull or Ferrari comes, closser Leclerce or Max... for a real battle.. then we know how good Lewis is.... I mean wheel to wheel.
I would seriously rethink that assertion. Hamilton was a first year rookie driver, and he handled Alonso like he drove against him for 3-4 years. In fact Lewis had what is said ti be the greatest rookie year in the history of the sport. Also, Alonso is constantly heralded as one of the greatest to ever drive an F1 car, but he was so threatened by his young teammate (Hamilton) that he extorted his bosses at McLaren just to win a race over Lewis.

As far as Verstappen, well he was outscored by Ricciardo every year that they were teammates. That is why I have much more respect for Ricciardo as a driver than I ever will for Verstappen. Daniel Ricciardo was a clear threat to the elder Verstappen's plans for his son. Must be nice to have daddy helping you with everything at work.

muzikant

1000RPM
Apr 19, 2010
I would seriously rethink that assertion. Hamilton was a first year rookie driver, and he handled Alonso like he drove against him for 3-4 years. In fact Lewis had what is said ti be the greatest rookie year in the history of the sport. Also, Alonso is constantly heralded as one of the greatest to ever drive an F1 car, but he was so threatened by his young teammate (Hamilton) that he extorted his bosses at McLaren just to win a race over Lewis.

As far as Verstappen, well he was outscored by Ricciardo every year that they were teammates. That is why I have much more respect for Ricciardo as a driver than I ever will for Verstappen. Daniel Ricciardo was a clear threat to the elder Verstappen's plans for his son. Must be nice to have daddy helping you with everything at work.
You think in another level... for sure when you believe that Max Has a better car had then Ric. Serious?. Funny and Strange look of F1 have you!
Lewis in his rookie year was in a top team xx experience in other classes... Ron brings him for years slow to the top. And then Lewis have always drive for a top team in F1 Alonso and Max starting not for a top team. Max was go karting and have one year experience in f3 before he start in F1...... Lewis fans are a little blind what they will to see

Mcorp

100RPM
Aug 6, 2017
I am glad everyone has his own opinion......just a shame that you can't see whats really happening.

Reactions: ast654