RD Series on Simracing.GP

Daily WTCR races on Simracing.GP Weekly GT3 Endurance races on Simracing.GP Weekly GT3 Sprint Races on Simracing.GP Weekly GT4 Sprint Races on Simracing.GP

2020 Formula One Sakhir Grand Prix | Driver of the Day: Vote Now

At least, on one point we agree... I also hate to see long dominance but this is not the fault of any prime driver, more the fact that one team has more money and masters new regulation quicker than other and other teams just cannot catch up... Comparing WC drivers is useless, too many parameters to take into account. They were all as great as to make the best of their materials at the time and on a regular basis. We need a budget cap for everybody to compete on a more fair and equal terms...

Got to stress I neither blame Lewis for the dominance nor think he's a crap driver, he's done what every top driver/rider does and thats try and get to the best team. Budget cap is defo needed, everyone moans about Ferrari spending so much, but Mercs budget is greater, yet I see less moans about that! F1 also needs to get away from Aero grip reliance (my favourite drum to bang!), That would go a long way tp reducing costs as well as wind tunnels for aero developments are not cheap!

Have to say this was something I was thinking too, seeing the overtakes, how fast he was and all that, If I didn't know it was Russell, I would say, yep, another typical good drive from Hamilton,

so maybe Russell is also GOAT :) , but jokes aside, yes, one race doesn't make a champion, it's lot of other factors

but you can't deny that Mercedes is a really fast car that's hard to compete with, and that Botas doesn't' do it justice

yes, he had issues with tires do to the interesiting pitstop, but even before that he was nowhere near what Russell's pace was - just like he is when Hamiton drives

The thing with Bottas is that I feel he's the type that is blisteringly quick In some conditions/circumstances so can set pole times, but not so good in others....and he's not so good in traffic, although I confess as I havn't watched much if any F1 since 2016 I'm basing that on things I've read rather than seen. There's been many fast drivers/riders who for some reason or another (fuel loads?) don't race as well as their pace. Then there's some who race better than they qualify. I'm wondering if it's how they prioritise their setups and if it's as simple as some hunt the setup for the fastest time, which will be crap in a race....and others concentrate on a good race setup which is crap for pole?

I think it has more to do with adaptability and driving style than setup. Qualifying with modern F1 cars is relatively simple, you get maximum traction from the fresh tires, you can see all your team-mate's data and copy the setup. In the race it becomes a bit more tricky as you have more variables at play. For example to maximize tire life, you may have to be quick at certain corners while saving tires at others, try going for unorthodox driving lines to reduce wear compared to qualifying lap lines, etc. And then think about the strategic options and your position relative to other cars with regards to that. All these are things you cannot copy as easily from telemetry, which in my analysis is why Bottas tends to look worse in races.

Last edited:
I think it has more to do with adaptability and driving style than setup. Qualifying with modern F1 cars is relatively simple, you get maximum traction from the fresh tires, you can see all your team-mate's data and copy the setup. In the race it becomes a bit more tricky as you have more variables at play. For example to maximize tire life, you may have to be quick at certain corners while saving tires at others, try going for unorthodox driving lines to reduce wear compared to qualifying lap lines, etc. And then think about the strategic options and your position relative to other cars with regards to that. All these are things you cannot copy as easily from telemetry, which in my analysis is why Bottas tends to look worse in races.

Adaptability is crucial indeed, that's "race craft", not every quick driver/rider has it.....almost all chamipons do. Sadly for Bottas he will always be remembered as a "Coulthard".

yes of c

yes of course, like Q in James Bond, they have a puncture button ready on the car... :p
No. But they made him stop 3 unnecessary times, in a race where the pit stop lasts more than half a lap. Then he was stopped for 2 whole laps, including the correct stop. And he still comes in tenth. What a car! Even a novice works miracles on him! Hamilton is ten times smaller after this race.

Lewis should relax and enjoy his time with family... after all he did his part and won both championship... I would be him, I would let George have his fun for the next race...

No. But they made him stop 3 unnecessary times, in a race where the pit stop lasts more than half a lap. Then he was stopped for 2 whole laps, including the correct stop. And he still comes in tenth. What a car! Even a novice works miracles on him! Hamilton is ten times smaller after this race.
There are regulations... they screwed up and they had to make him come back... no need to find a conspiracy theory every time it went wrong... I know we still live in a Trump alternative world where fact and common sense is taboo... but you must stop with these stupid theories...

And first, I am not a Lewis fan but come on... this is comparing apple and orange... let see how George is doing on a full season with Merc before to compare him with a 7 years Champion... where regularity is above than to be only the quickest man... it is ssssoooo easy to ditch Hamilton achievement on ONE fraking race... but it is still very unfair and wrong.
Yes the car is good, but it is not the only factor to win a race.

Last edited:
When Botass finished 5th in 2017 DC, and 3rd in 2018. special insiders on this forum were insisting this was because "they made his car slower".
Have Mercedes changed this in 2020?

special insiders

Did you find other sources, official source about this to verify it? it is like I know President (ouch it hurts just to say it) Drump says there were frauds but there is no proofs of it... but I still chose to believe him (a famous liar)... Give me real proofs, then I can take your affirmations seriously...

Did you find other sources, official source about this to verify it? it is like I know President (ouch it hurts just to say it) Drump says there were frauds but there is no proofs of it... but I still chose to believe him (a famous liar)... Give me real proofs, then I can take your affirmations seriously...
Someone should introduce Mercedes to the idea of team orders, it will save them a fortune in tyre, body and fire and reputational damage he he

Last edited:
When Botass finished 5th in 2017 DC, and 3rd in 2018. special insiders on this forum were insisting this was because "they made his car slower".
Have Mercedes changed this in 2020?

well he did quite a bit worse than Rosberg in basically the same car, maybe a sign of teething issues and geting used to the. But more a sign that Bottas isn't even in Rosbergs league let alone Lewis'.

I'll put it out there...a prediction that if Russell get's the next race he'll do awful.....for some strange reason maybe? ;)

Also on facebook (I know I know), too many Hamilton fans thing he single handedly turned Merc around from also rans to dominance. Comparing him alone to what Shcumacher, Brawn and Todt did at Ferrari. Basically saying Lewis is such a genius he's better than those 3 COMBINED and did it in a quarter of the time. LOL Lewis fans so stupid!

I'm trying to understand why they would hobble Russell. One commentator came up with something that sounds a lot more plausible , it's that they want Russell to do well so as to strengthen their hand in negotiations with Lewis.
Makes much more sense to me.

I'm trying to understand why they would hobble Russell. One commentator came up with something that sounds a lot more plausible , it's that they want Russell to do well so as to strengthen their hand in negotiations with Lewis.
Makes much more sense to me.

Because there's a "golden boy" agenda?

Name me one other top driver who had the opportunities Lewis had? He's manufactured IMO. What was Schumachers first drive in F1, Vettels, Alonsos, Sennas...etc etc.

edit, and before I get the "because he impressed so much in karting, GP2", so all the others I mentioned had awful records in karting etc?

Last edited: