2020 Formula One Sakhir Grand Prix | Discussion Thread

Nick Hill

Premium
Denver, USA
The 2019 Mercedes argument has been discussed at length before so I won't waste time on that one, except to say that imitation has *always* been part of F1.

As for the rest, you basically confirmed what I said: Stroll is an astute businessman and he made all the rights moves to improve his team. What better move than form a close working relationship with the best team manager in F1? I would do exactly the same.

With Lawrence Stroll, I see it on two levels. On one level, daddy bought Lance-y Poo an F1 team. Yeah, ok, that happened. I think we hard core F1 fans have understood that has always been a part of F1. It's older than. F1, it goes all the way back to the beginning of grand prix and motor racing itself. It's always been there, it always will be there. Like most fans, I don't love it, but I grudgingly accept it along with making a snarky comment here or there. What's probably changed a bit is the scale. As in, how rich daddy has to be. Daddy used to have to be sorta rich, now more often than. Not he's crazy billionaire rich. It is what it is.

With that out of the way, you have a second level I think you can look at this from: Lawrence Stroll the motor racing business strategist. I think you really have to admire what he's done. Hell, I think you can make a strong case we ought to be thanking him! He's kept a midfield team not just alive but competitive. F1 needs more of that, but it's not always clear where that kind of leadership, investment, and, frankly, will power is going to come from. The competitive balance in F1 is completely borked right now. In this era, you have one monster team winning everything on sight (Merc), two deep pocketed teams fighting it out for second best (Ferrari and Red Bull), and then a host of characters - large and small, competent and incompetent - battling it out in what we'd call "Junior Varsity" in the States. Well, Lawrence Stroll has come in and found a way to maximize his investment and get his team competitive in an environment that really couldn't be more effective at chasing his sort out of the picture if were specifically engineered to do just that. I see Racing Point as a big "F U" to the F1 establishment. They are similar in spirit to me as Red Bull in their very early days or even Hesketh from back in the early 70s. I'm not saying they are directly analogous to either of those outfits, but the F1 of today is a lot different too.

It is silly to claim that LH can now be kicked out based on one race where the reserve driver finished 9th (albeit with a commendable performance), but hey knock yourselves out if that’s the level of thought and commentary we can expect on the forum lately.

This, thank you.
I find it so ridiculous to think Bottas isn't one of the top drivers, just because of his performance today. Yes, Russell won the start and had an amazing overtake vs. Bottas, but come on people, everyone wins some and looses some. Hamilton, Vettel, Alonso, Schumacher, Häkkinen, Senna and other top drivers got outplayed from time to time. Not a single driver is above that. And man, Bottas suffered from the pitstop disaster at least as much as Russell did, if not more. He had no fresh tires, what do people expect?

And like other names in the F1 themselves have said, Lewis is one of the best drivers of all time. His success isn't just the product of his car and those who think it is are really a bunch of clowns, sorry to be so harsh. No one becomes a 7-time world champion just because of the car they're sitting in. Or else Webber, Barrichello or Rosberg would have been recent multi world champions too.

Last edited:
I see Racing Point as a big "F U" to the F1 establishment.

They used to be that, but they are already moving towards becoming part of the establishment with the shady business of copying Mercedes parts, the Aston Martin deal etc. What's worse, they have now a great car that could perhaps provide some competition to Mercedes next year, but they chose to put two below average drivers in it to make sure we won't be seeing any of that. A former champion whose consistently half a second off his team-mate and Stroll, well, no point to say anything about. I agree that the competitive balance is off, but it also extends to teams not hiring the best driver available, which makes it even more comical.

Tomi

”Maximum Attack!”
Finland
:roflmao:
Russell is much better than Hamilton, he dominated the race from the start with Hamilton's car, the car was too small for him etc, what about Hamilton with Russell's car? What if Latifi beat Hamilton with Williams?

That Merc pit stop mistake could be intentionally made to make the Hamilton look better, FIA asked to do it, Hamilton is Hero atm :roflmao:
Wow! You came to that conclusion based on one race only:roflmao:. Pathetic and very simple thinking.

And that last sentence is proper conspiracy theory sh...t:laugh:.

You've said nothing to disprove my comment though. All you did was make an empty statement, What's your point, if you have one?

well I'm actually getting tired of it
it is very tiring to hear the same cassette tape over and over again.

Lewis is such a great obsession for you who can never do anything wrong for you

Last edited:
They used to be that, but they are already moving towards becoming part of the establishment with the shady business of copying Mercedes parts, the Aston Martin deal etc. What's worse, they have now a great car that could perhaps provide some competition to Mercedes next year, but they chose to put two below average drivers in it to make sure we won't be seeing any of that. A former champion whose consistently half a second off his team-mate and Stroll, well, no point to say anything about. I agree that the competitive balance is off, but it also extends to teams not hiring the best driver available, which makes it even more comical.

Racing point have a wonderfull car @Copy... (pinkmercedes)

Sasha Jednak

Sasa Jednak
Premium
This, thank you.
I find it so ridiculous to think Bottas isn't one of the top drivers, just because of his performance today. Yes, Russell won the start and had an amazing overtake vs. Bottas, but come on people, everyone wins some and looses some. Hamilton, Vettel, Alonso, Schumacher, Häkkinen, Senna and other top drivers got outplayed from time to time. Not a single driver is above that. And man, Bottas suffered from the pitstop disaster at least as much as Russell did, if not more. He had no fresh tires, what do people expect?

And like other names in the F1 themselves have said, Lewis is one of the best drivers of all time. His success isn't just the product of his car and those who think it is are really a bunch of clowns, sorry to be so harsh. No one becomes a 7-time world champion just because of the car they're sitting in. Or else Webber, Barrichello or Rosberg would have been recent multi world champions too.
Bolded part, bottas is in Merc car, with tyres 2 laps younger than Perez's (who is in slower car). What people would expect is that he does same as Perez just a bit faster (due to car). What people actually expect from him is to do JUST same as Perez. What people don't expect from him is to lose pace in fastest car on same age tyres to slower cars.
And for me it is not about his performance today, it is just one in long line of (under)performance. I thought before it was underperforming but this is just his top form. He can beat Lewis when Lewis has bad day or his car has issue, same as it could happen to Vettel, Alonso, Schumacher as you say. That doesn't take anything away from Hamilton in my view. It just for me puts bottas firmly in last place of #2 list: behind Barrichello, Weber, Fisichella...

Fat-Alfie

Premium
well I'm actually getting tired of it
it is very tiring to hear the same cassette tape over and over again.

Lewis is such a great obsession for you who can never do anything wrong for you

I agree with you 100%, but take that word in bold, change it to your favourite driver and read it all through again ;)

You are not alone in your opinons, but try and understand how you appear to other members of the forum.

I agree with you 100%, but take that word in bold, change it to your favourite driver and read it all through again ;)

You are not alone in your opinons, but try and understand how you appear to other members of the forum.

Smart! Appear to other members on the forum... you mean Lewis fans.

Now I think a lot of people what I hear here on the forum are complete finish with the domination of Merc and Lewis Hamilton. After 7 years we want to see a real show

Last edited:

Fat-Alfie

Premium
No, not Hamilton fans - I mean fans of F1.

I am not a Hamilton fan, but I do get really tired of your hypocrisy - you and a few other fans of verstappen. You do exactly what you accuse Hamilton fans of.

It's tiring to read the same comments from you, week after week; how verstappen can do no wrong, how he would win everything if he was in a Mercedes (even though that's why you hate Hamilton so much), when he spins it is not due to lack of skill but because he has to try so hard in that terrible, race-winning, pole-winning Red Bull...

I get that you feel like you finally have something Dutch to be proud of, but please, just give it a rest with the incessant adoration of your golden boy :rolleyes:

I am not a Hamilton fan, but I do get really tired of your hypocrisy - you and a few other fans of verstappen. You do exactly what you accuse Hamilton fans of.

It's tiring to read the same comments from you, week after week; how verstappen can do no wrong, how he would win everything if he was in a Mercedes (even though that's why you hate Hamilton so much), when he spins it is not due to lack of skill but because he has to try so hard in that terrible, race-winning, pole-winning Red Bull...

I get that you feel like you finally have something Dutch to be proud of, but please, just give it a rest with the incessant adoration of your golden boy :rolleyes:

Same comments? You think a lot of me arguments that I never say. I never say that I hate Hamilton thats your story to make it big
Only what I say is that we want a real competition season and that the wdc,s of Lewis have a lot to do with the car and no changing years of the rules. And maybe it is a painfull day for you? to see what we have see yesterday. A lot of good drivers can win in tjat car. Fact!

Last edited:

Appie Kuipers

Premium
The Netherlands

Very strange, reading your comments, you can’t stand it that the Dutch are happy with Max, maybe some times with orange glasses, so what?, if you don’t like it, don’t read it. And that “few others”, keep it for your self, will you.
Next years Zandvoort GP, you still think a few:roflmao:

Last edited:
That's dumbest argument to make against Hamilton. First off Lewis would have been almost 10 seconds ahead of Bottas and not just a few seconds because he's a master of tire management. Now as for teammates Lewis has already faced difficult teammates to beat and even more than Schumacher did because when they came to Ferrari they were told that he was already the number one driver on the team. Plus no driver has benefitted from team orders like Schumacher did at Ferarri. Lewis has faced off against three WDC teammates in his career, one of them being a two time driver as a rookie and he handled him with ease. You guys are really running out of excuses. Lewis has always bested or equaled his teammates, and he's never had it easy against any of them.

You can't erase what Lewis has done so just give up, you're arguments don't hold water. He's the best driver statistically. He's certainly the greatest of all-time to myself and many others.

Yes, but how long ago did it happen? You somehow are on a crusade for Hamilton, and I don't know why. I think that Hamilton does not have real competition in the races since 2014 or so. That might have started earlier. It would be much nicer for him, if there was more challenge versus other cars. Like Russel showed yesterday, any great driver will be P1 in that car. Means everybody knows Hamilton has another WDC, long time before the season ends. It's just dull.

Last edited:
Yes, but how long ago did it happen? You somehow are on a crusade for Hamilton, and I don't know why. I think that Hamilton does not have real competition in the races since 2014 or so. That might have started earlier. It would be much nicer for him, if there was more challenge versus other cars. Like Russel showed yesterday, any great driver will be P1 in that car. Means everybody knows Hamilton has another WDC, long time before the season ends. It's just dull.

I would love to see Russel on a more technical track than the one we had. Any great driver will be front row with this years Mercedes on an, almost, oval track.

Also, i feel like i have to clarify some things from my end in this thread.

I would love for F1 to become more competitive again. But that is not Hamiltons fault. It's mainly Ferrari and Red Bulls fault for not giving their drivers a car that can compete. Don't forget that when Ferrari was competing on even ground with Mercedes 2018, they completely threw their chances out the window. Hamilton outclassed Vettel on the track and Mercedes was the better team. And yes, hopefully Hamilton will have a better partner than Bottas in 2022 since Bottas lacks pace on sundays.

However. People in this thread are pretty much claiming Hamiltons 7 WDC has no value and that any driver would have done it. That is simply not true and this is what triggers me and what i am arguing against.

Give Bottas car to a good driver on the grid and he will take poles and win races. I just don't see anyone beating Hamilton over a full season. Just imagine that this was the Singapore GP. I don't think Russel would have even been close to performing the way he did. But i guess we will never know until Russel and Hamilton drives for Mercedes. :)

maxresdefault.jpg

First podium for Ocon. Nice.

Somewhat worried about Albon, will he lose his seat? And if so, where could he go? Would it be the end of his F1 career? Not good. Red Bull should nurture their 2nd drivers more and not listen to the sensationalist sports media.

Last edited:
Said the user who does nothing else on this site other than defend Hamiliton. Do you even watch F1? :roflmao:
I don't have to defend Hamilton because the man's performances defend themselves. He doesn't need me to slam people like yourself in the proverbial face because he's doing it himself with ease. All you people can do is repeat the same thing over and over like a hungry parrot.