2020 Formula One Russian Grand Prix | Discussion Thread

Ole Marius Myrvold

JWB 96-13
Staff
Premium
Norway
I agree with you, overall, but based on previous races, I was at least expecting a message on the screen like « Accident between cars 16 and 18 under review » and it never even appeared. That‘s what surprised me.

If not "under review", at least "noted". That I agree with.

Stewards' leniency with Leclerc is not new. And Stroll is pursued by bad luck, Pérez must have given him his black cat as a farewell gift.

A bit on the side, but I'd happily take Stroll's "bad" luck over almost anything. He might have 2 races that has gone against him, but just being Lance Stroll is not bad luck at all!

I am really gettin sick of Crashtappen!!! How the hell does he get away with cuting track and overtaking under yellow flags???? This is ridiculous....I have never seen a driver been so nursed in F1!!! Meanwhile Hamilton is getting punished for minor stupid things! I dont give a damm about Hamilton btw.

Ohh thats no good if you getting sick of Max. Go to the doctor

F1 is for sure broken with the merc domination. If Max, Russel, Le Clerc, Sainz, Norris, Ricardo... have good cars ervery week for the podium you have the best motorsport tv on the planet. Ohh sorry... they change the rules in 2021.... again next year a same borring season. With the best F1 driver all time Lewis Hamilton. What a joke!!!!

Fia thanks!

Last edited:

Nick Hill

Premium
Denver, USA
F1 is for sure broken with the merc domination. If Max, Russel, Le Clerc, Sainz, Norris, Ricardo... have good cars ervery week for the podium you have the best motorsport tv on the planet. Ohh sorry... they change the rules in 2021.... again next year a same borring season. With the best F1 driver all time Lewis Hamilton. What a joke!!!!

Fia thanks!

It's damaging to the sport on many levels. I mean, Lewis, he is one of the handful of drivers who in my mind can legitimately lay claim to best ever. I'm not saying he is/isn't best ever, I'm just saying if you want to have a serious "best ever" discussion and omit Lewis, I'll have a hard time taking you seriously. But I think you can argue the hybrid era has either been a net negative for his reputation or - at the minimum - limited the amount of prestige he's "earned" over this time period. This is in spite of winning pretty much everything in sight. It's ruining the spectacle, all we can see as fans are one sided races. I fear that Lewis's accomplishments will always carry an "asterisk" for many of us (either consciously or sub-consciously).

Appie Kuipers

Premium
The Netherlands
I am really gettin sick of Crashtappen!!! How the hell does he get away with cuting track and overtaking under yellow flags???? This is ridiculous....I have never seen a driver been so nursed in F1!!! Meanwhile Hamilton is getting punished for minor stupid things! I dont give a damm about Hamilton btw.
There are more getting sick by you, but you don’t see it your self, and put that crashtappen somewhere where it’s dark, looser.

It's damaging to the sport on many levels. I mean, Lewis, he is one of the handful of drivers who in my mind can legitimately lay claim to best ever. I'm not saying he is/isn't best ever, I'm just saying if you want to have a serious "best ever" discussion and omit Lewis, I'll have a hard time taking you seriously. But I think you can argue the hybrid era has either been a net negative for his reputation or - at the minimum - limited the amount of prestige he's "earned" over this time period. This is in spite of winning pretty much everything in sight. It's ruining the spectacle, all we can see as fans are one sided races. I fear that Lewis's accomplishments will always carry an "asterisk" for many of us (either consciously or sub-consciously).

What's truly problematic, in my opinion, is the other teams being incapable of challenging Mercedes. I can't fault LH for driving for the best team and being the most dominant driver of his generation. I didn't hear people willing put an asterisk next to Schumacher's name between 2000-2004, even if they had a marked advantage due to their privileged relationship with Bridgestone. Mercedes and LH get the reward they deserve for being the absolute best since 2014. What's depressing is how inept the teams that should challenge Mercedes are: Ferrari, McLaren, Red Bull and Renault should, considering their resources, be able to mount an opposition. But McLaren is very slowly coming back from the dead, Renault is incapable of putting it together, Red Bull is the eternal 2nd best and Ferrari... enough said. Rather then blame Mercedes for doing a fantastic job, let's hope the other teams finally get it together. My only hope is the budget cap next season. Maybe that will help (fingers crossed.)

Last edited:
What's truly problematic, in my opinion, is the other teams being incapable of challenging Mercedes. I can't fault LH for driving for the best team and being the most dominant driver of his generation. I didn't hear people willing put an asterisk next to Schumacher's name between 2000-2004, even if they had a marked advantage due to their privileged relationship with Bridgestone. Mercedes and LH get the reward they deserve for being the absolute best since 2014. What's depressing is how inept the teams that should challenge Mercedes are: Ferrari, McLaren, Red Bull and Renault should, considering their resources, be able to mount an opposition. But McLaren is very slowly coming back from the dead, Renault is incapable of putting it together, Red Bull is the eternal 2nd best and Ferrari... enough said. Rather then blame Mercedes for doing a fantastic job, let's hope the other teams finally get it together. My only hope is the budget cap next season. Maybe that will help (fingers crossed.)

agree dont understand me wrong! What they did with the Redbull Vettel domination... after the 4 years change the rules of the car engine and package

Problem solved

Last edited:

BP

Premium
:alien:
Wth ? I just thought it's funny.
Don't know why you have to be so negative.
And I actually think that, with the same cars, Lewis would most probably still be champion.
How's that fit into you CSI F1 profiling me as the biggest LH hater !??
C'mon man don't be like that, it's not cool...
One of the worst things in www is when people "knows" what are you trying to say better than yourself.

My apologies then; your message combined with that “side eye” emoji gave off a negative vibe to it.

In my defense though, we the audience are not mind-readers, so it is the writer’s job to convey their thoughts as clearly as possible, with as little room for misinterpretation as possible...of course nobody’s perfect, but I don’t think the intent of your post was clear (I still don’t see how it could be interpreted as funny)...but I’ll take your word for it :thumbsup:

BP

Premium
This story just keeps getting better and better...

So now the FIA flip-flops and decides (paraphrasing of course) "Wellllll...on second thought, it WAS actually Mercedes' fault for giving Lewis the OK on where to perform practice starts...let's give him his license points back and fine Mercedes 25K Euros...but too bad about your 10 second penalty though...ooof :O_o:".

It's funny, In a climate where people want their drivers to just shut up and drive...but then when a driver focuses on driving more than memorising every single new rule they pass on a race-by-race basis...and then said driver, in the process of driving asks "mission control" permission to do something, and all those strategists sitting in A/C rooms with all their technology around them can't be arsed to check the recent rules...then said driver gets all the punishment and blame for simply following team directives? Lewis misses out on 10 WDC points and Merc doesn't lose any WCC points? I don't care if Mercedes is a rocketship in a sea of Miatas, I don't care if Lewis was up by 1000 points already...based on principle, nobody finds this messed up?

People can act like Hamilton is the only driver in F1 history to complain all they want, but I'm agreeing with Lewis: that is some Bull$#!^...call me a fanboi if you want, but it's still messed up if you take bias out of it.

Worth remembering that SV won 5 races in 2017 & 5 in 2018; that Ferrari was capable of seriously challenging the DC. I forgot until checking that Botass finished fifth in 2018.

Given that vettelle has been far from his best for a few years, it is quite possible (probable even) that Alonso would have won DC one of those years in that Ferrari.
Completely different now unfortunately - almost looks like they are looking for ways to artificially stop a merc winning every time.

Last edited: