2020 Formula One Russian Grand Prix | Discussion Thread

I voted Bottas just hoping for any spark of a challenge from the other side of the garage. Maybe he's had some bad luck and victim of circumstances, but besides qualifying appears powerless to really pressure Hamilton.

I think that the current season has clearly shown the kind of driver Bottas is. Despite the usual "I'm a different driver now" declarations at the beginning of the season, he's still the #2 driver compared to Hamilton and will always be. He's simply not in the same category and is very lucky that Mercedes were caught with their pants down when Rosberg retired and they had to find a driver on short notice. (Say what you want about Nico Rosberg, but at least he could challenge Hamilton and get under his skin from time to time, something Bottas has never been able to do.) Hopefully, Russell will be called up from Williams in 2022, although I get the feeling Merc is waiting for Hamilton's last season to do that.

Last edited:

Jan Larsen

Premium
Denmark
And wait, there is more: he even said in an interview that he was happy with his lap. Both Bottas and Albon don't have any blood in their veins. Wasted seats, meanwhile Russel rotting in a brick with wheels and Hulkenberg watching F1 from his home.

I beg to differ. Yes, Bottas and Albon are seat wasters, but Bottas is the perfect #2 driver. Not fast enough to cause Rosberg-like trouble, but just fast enough (usually) to keep the rest behind. But yeah, Albon is questionable at best. Russell however is proving his worth just fint in a rapidly improving Williams. The kid can drive and is faster than Latifi, but his teammates have all been crap so far, so its hard to measure him. He deserves a better seat sure, but a top seat? Not sure...yet.

Last edited:

Appie Kuipers

Premium
The Netherlands
Pretty sure as Lewis is so up on human rights issues he'll take Putin to task about his record......

No?........ you don't think he will...?

Funny how he won't boycott this race, or wear a t shirt about Putins behaviour...

Funny that...

[mod edit: offensive comment removed - consider yourself warned]

These kind of post bring nothing, I know, got banned for it, SO LETS TALK RACING, I lurned.

And wait, there is more: he even said in an interview that he was happy with his lap. Both Bottas and Albon don't have any blood in their veins. Wasted seats, meanwhile Russel rotting in a brick with wheels and Hulkenberg watching F1 from his home.

It shows how badly the Red Bull junior drivers program is managed. They don't really have anyone to replace Albon, it seems. They've already decided that Gasly will stay at Alpha Tauri and I don't see anybody really promising in the junior formulas. Helmut Marko is a world class moron.

It seems good as Dominicalli comes from the team side of F1 running Ferrari. Chase has done a good job but F1 is a boys club and its like a secret society. Only Flavio Briatory got into the club. And he did not know much about cars. Just management. Its is unnerving that they are all ex Ferrari people. And Ferrari need all the help they can get right now.
Back in the day FIA was said to stand for (Ferrari International Assistance) With guys who did time at Ferrari. So Ferrari will have future power over FIA.

Nick Hill

Premium
Denver, USA
It shows how badly the Red Bull junior drivers program is managed. They don't really have anyone to replace Albon, it seems. They've already decided that Gasly will stay at Alpha Tauri and I don't see anybody really promising in the junior formulas. Helmut Marko is a world class moron.

I think Gasly is better off to stay at AT and get snatched up by a non RBR team. Being paired with Max seems to be a kiss of death. Gasly is clearly very talented, but even he went into meltdown mode trying to keep up with Max.

I think Gasly is better off to stay at AT and get snatched up by a non RBR team. Being paired with Max seems to be a kiss of death. Gasly is clearly very talented, but even he went into meltdown mode trying to keep up with Max.

I agree, the only way to find a proper teammate for Verstappen would be to get an experienced driver who doesn't really mind being #2 to a world class talent. Bottas would be perfect. :D Some people suggested Perez, but he's not a team player and he doesn't handle being challenged by a good teammate very well. Remember him and Ocon? :cool:

Last edited:

Appie Kuipers

Premium
The Netherlands
I agree, the only way to find a proper teammate for Verstappen would be to get an experienced driver who doesn't really mind being #2 to a world class talent. Bottas would be perfect. :D Some people suggested Perez, but he's not a team player and he doesn't handle being challenged by a good teammate very well. Remember him and Ocon? :cool:
I would like to see Ham and Max in one team, although it could end in tears.

Looking at recent races, the drafting effect seems pretty significant this year so there could well be a change of order again up front - and certainly will be further down where most of the action is.
I'm looking more at mid-field these days.

Paris
Hamilton may have a hard race tomorrow, especially if the higher temps help destroying the soft tires faster. So there could be something interesting for the lead too.

Nice patriotic theory but the truth is Ocon has not shown anything really convincing in F1 so far and that Pérez and Hulk got along pretty well for years.

Last edited:

Agree but you have a lot tallent drivers in other teams.. Le Clerc, Russel, Norris, Sainz, this the most tallented period after long time with all young guns together. But maybe it is Max himself he is on this moment to fast for his team mates Redbull team. But by Redbull to the point.... there are only three real fast juniors in History of RB. Vettel, Ricardo and Max.

But by Redbull to the point.... there are only three real fast juniors in History of RB. Vettel, Ricardo and Max.

And that's the problem, after all the money they spent on developping young drivers, so few have gone on to great things. They (well, mostly Marko) put immense pressure on young drivers and get rid of them too quickly instead of really nurturing young talents. I don't know when Gasly's contract with Alpha Tauri ends but he would be wise to shop for a deal with another team now, when his stock is high after his Monza win, because he could be stuck at AT and he's better than that.

BP

Premium

Some of you guys really have some serious problems :rolleyes:...He's 35 years old...i.e. he grew up when Tony Hawk and SSX Skate/snowboarding games were big...and he made a joke about his obvious error...geez, get a grip.

Oh, and "black (skate)board :cautious:"...wow. All I'll say to that is "bring on win #91, #92, #100 and beyond"! Every time he breaks another record I just laugh to myself at all the salty people around the world throwing a hissy fit over his achievements, like he's some anomaly in F1, like the best drivers haven't been winning championships in the best cars since Fangio went beast mode on the green hell...epic comeback in a Minardi class car, I think not :roflmao:

I would love if Reiza renames their AMS1 "GOAT" achievement to "Get in there, Lewis!" (or better yet, use it for AMS2) :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

68393686.jpg

Last edited:

Sasha Jednak

Sasa Jednak
Premium
If you take out his last 3 years Michael got his records in less race starts ( 248) then Lewis ( 259) and he is still chasing his records like 5 consecutive titles
No need to take out any years. Just get number of races needed to reach certain number of wins. But records are there to be broken, every new generation should be better than previous one as training is improved and experience from previous generation is already applied in brain of new one (at least for some :roflmao: ).
Anyway, well done to Lewis on getting 98 wins + how many races will be next season (- 1-2 when they want to pretend it's close).

On the junior program agree! But dont forget that Marko take all risk to put Max in the seat in 2015. He is also from another generation when racing was harder for the drivers. ? Life was harder. And dont forget Redbull give young drivers a first change. Without pay

Last edited: