• 28000+ Members! Dear Guest, click this link to join the RD Army on our official Discord server

Who would you like to see win the Russian Grand Prix?

• Total voters

2020 Formula One Russian Grand Prix | Discussion Thread

Welcome to the central discussion thread for the 2020 Formula One Russian Grand Prix!

With Italy having offered us a very chaotic and exciting couple of races, the Formula One circus has travelled to the Black Sea, for this weekend's seventh Russian Grand Prix at Sochi.

The fourth-longest circuit on the original calendar consists mostly of medium speed corners, which see the drivers taken around the Sochi Olympic Park. Some of the more spectacular parts of the track are the long, constant radius turn three, and come race day, the one kilometre run down to turn two.

Mercedes have unquestionably been the dominant force in F1 throughout the hybrid era, but arguably nowhere more so than at Sochi. They remain the only team to have won around the Olympic Park, and with low tyre degradation and the race expected to be a comfortable one-stopper, it's hard to picture a repeat of the chaos that ensued at Monza and Mugello.

This weekend could see Lewis Hamilton match Michael Schumacher's record of 91 race victories, as he makes his 260th F1 start. However, the Briton has not been on pole at Sochi since 2014, despite the advantage of a dominant Mercedes. Bottas has outqualified him two times to one in Russia as teammates, and will no doubt fancy his chances at making Hamilton wait a little longer to match the record for all-time wins in Formula One.

sochi.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:
22. Software Engineer with experience in Formula One and Motorsport simulation.

BigMike8

SimRacing 604
Premium
Feb 18, 2017
The track itself doesn't have much appeal to me, but I'll be tuned in to the next few races to see Lewis get his all-time wins record. Looking at the other active drivers' win counts, it'll be a long time before anyone threatens this record.

Nick Hill

1000RPM
Premium
Oct 26, 2013
Sochi and Singapore might be the only 2 tracks I really dread. I find them both to be terribly boring. Sochi's the worst, though.

Reactions: wombat999

Ruy Horta

250RPM
Feb 17, 2014
Hopefully we'll see Putin.
Politics and racing don’t mix, getting enough daily dose of propaganda through the media. the world is a shitty place and a lot of it is not what it seems to be. I’ll keep it at that.

What does irk me is that the mods will remove a Disco Inferno clip in a PC3 with a O/T warning. They’ll probably remove this as well, but I am not sheeple.

Sasha Jednak

Sasa Jednak
Premium
Mar 27, 2011
The track itself doesn't have much appeal to me, but I'll be tuned in to the next few races to see Lewis get his all-time wins record. Looking at the other active drivers' win counts, it'll be a long time before anyone threatens this record.
Hamilton had 0 wins when MSC had 91 win, and guess what people said then. ;) If they allow for one team to buy rules after 2022, all we need is 5 years for RB or 7-8 years for Ferrari, in order for Max or Leclerc respectively get to 100 wins. All personal opinion, to avoid hits I do respect job that mechanics in gray did last 8 years and drives that 3 guys in gray had in same time (gray as in silver arrow, I know car is black now).

P.S. Post just getting 50% longer trying to cover all bases and not be accuses of something. :roflmao: Well, hopefully for fun race on Sunday. Voted Bottas first time, can't wait to see how he will lose it this time.

Reactions: ast654

pcraenme

250RPM
Premium
Jun 26, 2011
Previously yes....Now people just vote the obvious.
It’s more a popularity vote now, because of ‘like’ in the pole. Interesting to see Bottas is 2nd in the poll at the moment. Seems he is more liked than most of us thought.

I voted Max, but I would be happy with any non-Mercedes win. They have won all the Russian GP’s until now, so it time for change! #wishfulthinking

• Love
Reactions: kits84
May 24, 2017
I disagree. Someone voted for Grosjean. No one actually likes Grosjean. I just get the feeling one of you would like to see him win the race because it would be ridiculous.
What are you talking about? He’s awesome. Didn’t vote for him though.

LeSunTzu

1000RPM
Feb 13, 2013
I'd be more than delighted if I had a 1/10th of Grosjean's wins and titles.

Sochi is Bottas' playground. If he cannot win here, his season would look bad.

Last edited:

BigMike8

SimRacing 604
Premium
Feb 18, 2017
Hamilton had 0 wins when MSC had 91 win, and guess what people said then
I didn't say no one will ever beat it. I said it'll be a long time. Assuming Seb, Fernando or Kimi don't have some unbelievable career resurgence, it'd take one of the younger drivers until close to the end of this decade winning a little less than half the races to equal the 91 mark. So again, it should be a long time before any driver threatens this record.