Who do you think will win the Italian Grand Prix?

• Total voters

2020 Formula One Italian Grand Prix | Discussion Thread

Welcome to the central discussion thread for the 2020 Formula One Italian Grand Prix.

This weekend Formula One returns to the fastest circuit on the calendar, as the iconic Monza holds its 70th Grand Prix.

It's easy to forget that just one year ago Charles Leclerc won his second race for Ferrari in front of the Italian tifosi. It seems unlikely that he will repeat that feat this year.

After a dominant display last weekend at Spa, Mercedes look like the favourites after picking up their second one-two finish this season. However, with a sporting regulation change set to affect teams' qualifying performance, is it quite that simple? It is expected that the ban on the so-called 'party modes' will affect the power unit manufacturer that does it the best, more so than the others.

Max Verstappen has been in the form of his life this season, and been the main challenger to Mercedes, and will no doubt be hoping to take advantage of this rule change. Let's not forget that Renault seemed to hit a 'sweet spot' with their low downforce package at Spa last weekend. Could a resurgent Renault steal a spot on the front row come Saturday at the high speed Monza circuit?

Only time will tell...

footer.jpg

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
22. Software Engineer with experience in Formula One and Motorsport simulation.

Nick Hill

1000RPM
Premium
Oct 26, 2013
I like how this week's poll is a multi-select! Having multiple winners for a single race might be just the kind of off the wall innovation the sport needs!

My prediction for the race (shamelessly stolen from a YouTube comment I found funny):

"It's lights out and away we go and Lewis Hamilton wins the Italian grand prix!"

davehenrie

500RPM
Jun 4, 2017
How is it, when major teams like Williams and Ferrari fall off the cliff, they can't climb back up? It took Mclaren, about ..what??? 6 years to recover their collapse. How is it that a design choice failure cannot be rectified by the next season?

Reactions: Nick Hill

Keetchyboy

10RPM
Premium
Jul 1, 2020
How is it, when major teams like Williams and Ferrari fall off the cliff, they can't climb back up? It took Mclaren, about ..what??? 6 years to recover their collapse. How is it that a design choice failure cannot be rectified by the next season?
I think in Ferraris case it is because they were cheating and got caught, once their toys were taken away they realised they were relying too heavily on them and had gotten complacent in other areas leaving the rest of the package underdeveloped.

After that blame the FIAs cost caps, limited testing, insistence by the FIA to develop with CFD i.e. limited time in wind tunnel with scale models, development token system, limited number of power units etc, so ultimately its the FIAs tactics to level the playing field that is having precisely the opposite effect - which will be further evident with the introduction of the engine mapping restrictions this weekend.

These teams have very talented and committed engineers, working around the clock year in year out. If you slow down you get left behind. If you run a 100m sprint and stumble, there's no catching up and winning the race, you have to wait until a new race to get your chance. In F1 terms a new race is a major rule change and even then the big teams start the race earlier than the small ones.

Oh, and with McLaren it was their doomed partnership with Honda that left them out in the wilderness for so long, once that was over they started clawing their way back.

Last edited:

Kaygeeoh

100RPM
Premium
Oct 1, 2014
I cant wait to enjoy the Renault-McLaren-Force India show this weekend, oh and the topping on the cake, Alfa beating Ferrari to the finish line.

Reactions: Dan ONeill
Mar 16, 2019
I think in Ferraris case it is because they were cheating and got caught, once their toys were taken away they realised they were relying too heavily on them and had gotten complacent in other areas leaving the rest of the package underdeveloped.

After that blame the FIAs cost caps, limited testing, insistence by the FIA to develop with CFD i.e. limited time in wind tunnel with scale models, development token system, limited number of power units etc, so ultimately its the FIAs tactics to level the playing field that is having precisely the opposite effect - which will be further evident with the introduction of the engine mapping restrictions this weekend.

These teams have very talented and committed engineers, working around the clock year in year out. If you slow down you get left behind. If you run a 100m sprint and stumble, there's no catching up and winning the race, you have to wait until a new race to get your chance. In F1 terms a new race is a major rule change and even then the big teams start the race earlier than the small ones.

Oh, and with McLaren it was their doomed partnership with Honda that left them out in the wilderness for so long, once that was over they started clawing their way back.
Is the Ferrari team were deemed cheating by the FIA or were actually cheating with their 2019 engines?

Reactions: CC

F_B

1000RPM
Premium
Nov 27, 2013
Probably another snoozefest.
I'm just watching this season because there are some tracks that have never been in the schedule or a long time ago. So it might be worth watching the start and then you can switch off the tv.

Waiting for 2022.

LeSunTzu

1000RPM
Feb 13, 2013
Can I have a 'I don't really care anymore...' option in the poll please? :sleep:
Nobody forces you to vote ;)

Last edited:

Vedran9

1RPM
Aug 2, 2018
i just forget Merc even exist in the race by this point.
i know its very unlikely but I would like for Lance or Valtteri to win it.

Reactions: Jim Layee

Keetchyboy

10RPM
Premium
Jul 1, 2020
Is the Ferrari team were deemed cheating by the FIA or were actually cheating with their 2019 engines?
Only the FIA and Ferrari know -
  • The FIA examined the Power Unit and came to an agreement with Ferrari to make changes,
  • Ferrari changed the Power Uint as per the agreement
  • Ferrari engined cars have subsequently lost a lot of speed.
  • The FIA and Ferrari refuse to disclose the outcome of the investigation or what the subsequent agreement was.
  • everyone suspected they were burning oil to gain lap time.
Without clarity everyone's left to make up their own minds if they were cheating or not, but if any admission of this were made there would be bans, points taken away, financial penalties and bankrupt F1 teams.

Antony Snook

500RPM
Premium
Jul 16, 2011
These questions need to become "Who do you WANT to win this week's F1 race". I tire of having to pick the obvious favorite to win : (
Things happen in F1 strange events and results. The mid pack is moving forwards to the front. Lando Norris, Alex Albon and Sergio Perez are hot this year.

Antony Snook

500RPM
Premium
Jul 16, 2011
I would like to see Ferrari run a one two and have the church bells ring. But so far it will be lucky if they get both cars in the top 10. That is equal to a win for a team with a bad chassis and power unit. They have not qualified last so there must be something good about the car.