2020 Formula One Emilia Romagna Grand Prix | Discussion Thread

Welcome to the discussion thread for the 2020 Formula One Emilia Romagna Grand Prix.

The last time Formula One raced at Imola was in 2006, when Fernando Alonso harried Michael Schumacher's Ferrari all the way to the line, both in a league of their own.

Fourteen years later, the F1 circus returns to the Autodromo Internazionale Enzo e Dino Ferrari. The circuit has changed a little since its last visit. With the Variante Bassa chicane - previously the final couple of corners - now removed, the layout features a much longer, kinked, main straight. The track however remains challenging, with a good balance of slower twisty chicanes, and fast but narrow sections to test drivers and cars alike.

The weather is forecast to be dry and warm for F1's return to Imola. The new track layout is 4.959km in length, and we will be able to enjoy 63 laps of it come race day. It's great to see yet another classic circuit featured on this year's calendar, complete with punishing gravel traps.

What is different about this weekend is of course Formula One's trial of a two-day weekend format. This will see the teams given a single practice session on Saturday morning, lasting one and a half hours. They will have two and half hours to modify setups and carry out repairs before qualifying takes place as normal. Let us know what you're hoping to see this weekend, and who you think will go well after just one session of practice!

imola.jpg

Last edited:
22. Software Engineer with experience in Formula One and Motorsport simulation.

Charlie Lockwood

RaceDepartment Writer
Staff
Premium
Feb 22, 2016
I was actually lucky enough to be at the last race which took place at Imola. I was sat at Acque Minerali and was blown away by Alonso and Schumacher's race-long battle. They remain the most exciting pair I've ever had the pleasure of watching live.

Salvatore Sirignano

250RPM
Premium
Nov 21, 2008
I've never really liked the track to be honest, it only has one good corner in Piratella, and each overtaking spot is made much harder (T1, Rivazza, even the old Tosa) by a kink at/before the braking zone.
The 2005 battle was great, but MSC wouldn't have got past in 1000 more laps.

Last edited:

LeSunTzu

1000RPM
Feb 13, 2013
The chicanes somewhat cut short the overtaking possibilities. Maybe they have so much grip that several lines are possible at Tosa and they can pass when climbing up the hill.

F_B

1000RPM
Premium
Nov 27, 2013
Variante Alta is the worst chicane after the chicane before start-finish in Spa.
Both are right out of hell, I cannot believe somebody decided to put them there.

Reactions: Jan Larsen

ATSSHD

250RPM
Apr 18, 2017
Variante Alta is the worst chicane after the chicane before start-finish in Spa.
Both are right out of hell, I cannot believe somebody decided to put them there.
Variante Alta is way worse than the chicane in Spa. I hate it in every sim game lol.

Enagee

500RPM
Oct 15, 2010
Both Practice one and Qualifying will be intense.

New track and one practice session before Quali.

Everyone will be on track. Any mistakes and your race is on the backfoot.

Saturday might end up being more exciting.

Should be an interesting one.

Last edited:
Reactions: shimon.ifraimov

Antony Snook

500RPM
Premium
Jul 16, 2011
I notice this race is on Saturday October 31st here in Candada. Making it fall on Halloween, this track as nice as it is is spooky as we all remember Ayerton Senna died here. I can imagine there will be lots of scary costumes at the race. A bit like the Mexican Grandrprix whitch is on Sinco de Mia (The festival of the dead)

Reactions: Matt Y

Pessio

250RPM
Premium
Sep 20, 2017
Best track ever, at least for me. And only 1 hour and a few minutes from home. Sadly no one can go see it.

• Sad
Reactions: Ryan Soucy

daveds3

100RPM
Premium
Jan 13, 2014
This and the other tracks have all been great additions. One practice session could make things interesting, however guess the Mercs will still lead the way

Sasha Jednak

Sasa Jednak
Premium
Mar 27, 2011
This and the other tracks have all been great additions. One practice session could make things interesting, however guess the Mercs will still lead the way
Max would probably have 50-50 chance with Lewis if Merc was forbidden doing even that 1 session. :roflmao:

Appie Kuipers

1000RPM
Premium
Jun 8, 2007
The chicanes somewhat cut short the overtaking possibilities. Maybe they have so much grip that several lines are possible at Tosa and they can pass when climbing up the hill.
There will be overtaking, not by the driver skills, just by that rubbish drs:(

Ryan Soucy

500RPM
Premium
Nov 1, 2010
Can I just say how much I love that F1 is going to all these different tracks? Sure, the racing is pretty boring thanks to the Mercs, but in hindsight, it more common to have a dominant team than a truly contested championship.

Reactions: Charlie Lockwood