with the PSD file.

Attachments

• a (2).jpg
    a (2).jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
F1 is spiraling in the drain.

For good reason.

F1 is a way for manufacturers to show their technological superiority for a product that they want to sell you.
Automakers like Ferrari, Mercedes, Renault and Honda do this for the prestige.

Red Bull just sells excitement in extreme sports. So they go where ever the extreme is.

But Honda left because ICE engine superiority is becoming less relevant and doesn't help them as they move to EV technologies.

Also important is that they are not joining Formula E which is a showcase of technology, but with a level playing field that really doesn't allow a manufacturer to shine much.

So at this point I don't see Formula E replacing Formula 1, but I do see Formula 1 ( if it survives ) moving to EV whether it uses H2 or battery as energy storage.

Given Honda pulled out to focus on EV development and doesn't consider demonstrating their ability to build an F1 engine anything that will help them long term, how long do you think it will continue in it's current form?

They could go to fuel cells or batteries to store energy but given that the ICE engine is no long the future and there will be less value from tweaking ICE technology, how long before they are forced to change over just to be relevant ?

But Honda left because ICE engine superiority is becoming less relevant and doesn't help them as they move to EV technologies.
Nah, they left because the real effect of closing everything is yet to come, corporates have a better idea about this than the average user. Also while F1 is trying to cut costs on the team side there has been nothing done on engine side to cut it, they still cost too much to develop
if not for covid I doubt they'd leave especially now that their engine is so good
AndHonda has done this kind of join and leave before, they'll use whatever excuse fits the moment

Last edited:
There is a plan for possibly using 2 stroke engine. And i think we should use bio fuel like American Ethanol used in NASCAR.
Formula One is development for manufacturers to implement into road cars. But the road car market is looking in different directions. Like Electric motors and even Hydrogen. Then Formula one will go in a direction that interests all manufacturers. So some will leave and some will join.

I heard Porche wanted to join INDY and use a hybrid motor (Combustion, Electric) But Indy wanted to use combustion engines for sound. So Porche will join another series that helps them use hybrid power.

My personal theory is that the world is about money. And money only. This makes it logical to assume:
- If everybody has bought a combustion engine and this technology has evolved to something almost indestructible (in everyday use), you need something new to sell. (the fuel will be burnt anyway by industry, air/sea transportation, no need for cars)
- To sell it, you need to market it. Politics/influencers are not enough.
- F1 is pure marketing. Making it look as if it would be "sports" is part of the business. In this sense the product is defined by its packaging.
- Consequently, the combustion engine will die out in F1. I assume it won't merge with FE to keep the second already established marketing branch. The two classes will have very distinct sets of regulation.

When? My guess would be 15 years or longer. Things don't change so fast as we are sometimes expected to think. Think of the autonomous vehicle: Almost everybody thinks they are completely evolved for everyday use. If that would be true, they could be sold. How to market them? Present them e.g. as Pace Cars in motorsport. The simplest task one could think of for a "machine" like that. No traffic lights, no pedestrians, the track is abnormally wide, no snowstorms and nothing in the way. But still: No autonomous Pace Cars. Either they are not up to this simple task at all or the producing part of the market is not ready to release them (which can only have economical reasons).

It will not go EV until Formula E loses their FIA Exclusivity deal on electric open wheel championship. That's for sure :)

Do you know when that is? Is it open ended or does it have a finite life span?

I saw IndyCar plans to use a 2.4L engines soon and hybrid power. So they are starting the move as well.

I don't think that there is any way that this won't happen.

It might be that they end up with Fuel Cells and a quick H2 tank fill, but it is likely that transmissions will either have no gears or a single shift.

This would dramatically improve reliability and likely drop cost substantially since you wouldn't need to replace motors like you do engines and if they simply have a differential vs a transmission, that would be huge as well. If they go with H2 instead of batteries than there is no issue with battery life or battery weight.

These cars could become ballistic and limited mostly by the G forces that the human body can withstand without blacking out. They may even need to start wearing pressure suits like pilots do.

Do you know when that is? Is it open ended or does it have a finite life span?

25 seasons IIRC.

I saw IndyCar plans to use a 2.4L engines soon and hybrid power. So they are starting the move as well.

Yup, they go up from 2.2 to 2.4l V6, but adds a standardized hybrid system to keep costs down I think.

These cars could become ballistic and limited mostly by the G forces that the human body can withstand without blacking out. They may even need to start wearing pressure suits like pilots do.

The F1 drivers were complaining about this back in 04, that they had small "blackouts"/tunnel-visions due to g-forces.

Then of course there was the 2001 Texas race in the CART-series, it was cancelled after 21 of the 25 drivers in the starting field reported suffering disorientationand vertigo-like symptoms, including inner ear, or vision problems, after running more than 10 laps. They also claimed that they had had virtually no peripheral vision and limited reaction time.

In practice they averaged just over 380km/h on a lap. They had g-loads as high as 5.5, almost double what most persons can endure, and closer to what jet pilots usually experience in shorter time intervals.

Welcome to the discussion thread for the 2020 Formula One Eifel Grand Prix.

This weekend's race will mark Formula One's first visit to the Nürburgring in the hybrid era, with the last race in the Eifel mountains taking place back in 2013.

A real classic, the circuit features a variety of challenging corners and unforgiving gravel traps.

The Grand Prix has run at the Nürburgring under many names, and the track is no stranger to the F1 calendar. With the weather forecast to be cold and wet, fans have been reminiscing about the chaotic race that took place here in the rain back in 2007. If the weather is as expected, and past experiences are anything to go by, this weekend could prove to be a classic.

While Mercedes are no doubt the favourites this weekend, going to a circuit for the first time in many years adds a degree of uncertainty, and requires more learning from the teams. Throw the promise of changeable conditions into the mix, and things start to look yet a little more interesting. Whether or not the race proves to be a classic, it's certainly great to be back at the Nürburgring.

Nurburgring.jpg

Attachments

• Cover.jpg
    Cover.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Jet fighter pilots are trained to handle up to 9 g with the help of g-suits that keep pressure on their legs to help blood pressure in their brain. But as you said this is for very short bursts.

Red Bull Air Race planes also reportedly reach 10 g's in competition.

But the endurance required for a long race would seem to be much harder on your body because of all the repeated exposure.

OK, this might seem a bit crazy AND it would reduce the drivers to sim pilots, but what if a driver only had a virtual presence in the car like people racing drones?

My guess is that something like this may come along, but it would be very different for obvious reasons. In fact since the drivers are not in danger, they might be able to drive a lot more aggressively and change the rules quite a bit because of that.

Could be a lot of fun to watch depending on the direction it took.

Last edited:
Anyone else secretly hoping for a little snow during one of the sessions? That will make it very interesting to say the least. Maybe they can make a little cover for the cockpit to keep their...cockpit....warmer.

Anyone else secretly hoping for a little snow during one of the sessions? That will make it very interesting to say the least. Maybe they can make a little cover for the cockpit to keep their...cockpit....warmer.
Haven't checked the weather forecasts, but think I have a snowy version of GP Strecke for F1C99-02 and definately for old rFactor on which they can do some unlimited testing :cool::sneaky:

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back