• 26000+ Members! Dear Guest, click this link to join the community on the official RaceDepartment Discord server

Who do you want to see win the Eifel Grand Prix?

• Total voters

2020 Formula One Eifel Grand Prix | Discussion Thread

Welcome to the discussion thread for the 2020 Formula One Eifel Grand Prix.

This weekend's race will mark Formula One's first visit to the Nürburgring in the hybrid era, with the last race in the Eifel mountains taking place back in 2013.

A real classic, the circuit features a variety of challenging corners and unforgiving gravel traps.

The Grand Prix has run at the Nürburgring under many names, and the track is no stranger to the F1 calendar. With the weather forecast to be cold and wet, fans have been reminiscing about the chaotic race that took place here in the rain back in 2007. If the weather is as expected, and past experiences are anything to go by, this weekend could prove to be a classic.

While Mercedes are no doubt the favourites this weekend, going to a circuit for the first time in many years adds a degree of uncertainty, and requires more learning from the teams. Throw the promise of changeable conditions into the mix, and things start to look yet a little more interesting. Whether or not the race proves to be a classic, it's certainly great to be back at the Nürburgring.

Nurburgring.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:
22. Software Engineer with experience in Formula One and Motorsport simulation.

rubaru

4000RPM
Dec 7, 2015
Anyone else secretly hoping for a little snow during one of the sessions? That will make it very interesting to say the least. Maybe they can make a little cover for the cockpit to keep their...cockpit....warmer.

stenovitz

75RPM
Aug 22, 2014
Anyone else secretly hoping for a little snow during one of the sessions? That will make it very interesting to say the least. Maybe they can make a little cover for the cockpit to keep their...cockpit....warmer.
Haven't checked the weather forecasts, but think I have a snowy version of GP Strecke for F1C99-02 and definately for old rFactor on which they can do some unlimited testing :cool::sneaky:

Last edited:
Reactions: Charlie Lockwood

DirkW

25RPM
Jun 17, 2020
I don't think it will be snow. I live close by and it is around 10-12 Celsius, also predicted for the weekend.

Reactions: Ulfhedinn

BazzaLB

100RPM
Jun 25, 2009
Does it really matter at this point what the weather does? Is this the only way to inject even the remotest entertainment out of this farce now?

rubaru

4000RPM
Dec 7, 2015
Does it really matter at this point what the weather does? Is this the only way to inject even the remotest entertainment out of this farce now?
Actually.

No.

F1 hasn't been to this track since 2013, before the hybrid era. Should be a great show and very interesting to see the pecking order.

But seeing as you aren't even interested in F1 i don't expect you to understand that.

michelforest

500RPM
Mar 2, 2010
F1 hasn't been to this track since 2013, before the hybrid era. Should be a great show and very interesting to see the pecking order.
The Nurburgring is a great track and a lot of fun to watch. The only positive about this whole pandemic tragedy is the fact that we got races at Mugello, the Nurburgring, Istanbul, Imola and Portimao. (And that's really the *only* good thing, I just want to make sure that people don't think I'm talking covid-19 lightly.)

Last edited:

Slapped

250RPM
Oct 2, 2019
At the time of this post Lewis is heading the poll by a goodish margin, which I find strange as the question to the poll is:

"Who do you want to see win the Eifel Grand Prix?"

and not:

"Who do you think will win the Eifel Grand Prix?"

Anyway Lando it is for me.

Last edited:

liby88

100RPM
Dec 26, 2017
i was thinking about snow yes =P

BrainsBush

500RPM
Jun 16, 2017
Memory lane when crowds were allowed: Great GP venue, also the pre and post F1 activities ;)
Now we can expect a rainy weekend. Maybe something unexpected happens again?

Enjoy the race weekend!

As long as Max has an engine in his car - and not becoming a Fred Flintstone - I placed my bets on him this weekend. Although Seb on his home track would/could also be a nice farewell 'gift'.

Last edited:

LeSunTzu

1000RPM
Feb 13, 2013
At the time of this post Lewis is heading the poll by a goodish margin, which I find strange as the question to the poll is:

"Who do you want to see win the Eifel Grand Prix?"

and not:

"Who do you think will win the Eifel Grand Prix?"

Anyway Lando it is for me.
Like it or not, there are many Hamilton fans on this planet :p

stenovitz

75RPM
Aug 22, 2014
So medical helicopter(s) unable to fly while cam-copter making a fly-over those...hmm
Edit: apparently due to even denser fog around the hospital.

Besides, yesterday I voted a German for the return on a German track :D

Last edited:

Dobermann92

250RPM
May 16, 2018
Had to vote Verstappen even though probably one of the Mercs will win probably, which could mean borefest.

Reactions: ast654

Turk

1000RPM
Jul 29, 2011
I wonder if the operating window of F1 tyres would allow for really cold temperatures? Have they ever tested these tyres at temperatures below 10C? I think I remember a Barcelona testing session being that kind of cold.

Mercedes seem to have a very narrow window for tyres when it comes to heat, I wonder are they just as limited at the other end too? If Mercedes keep suffering in these less than ideal conditions could it bring Red bull into contention? Max Verstappen isn't that far behind in the championship either.

BrainsBush

500RPM
Jun 16, 2017
I wonder if the operating window of F1 tyres would allow for really cold temperatures? Have they ever tested these tyres at temperatures below 10C? I think I remember a Barcelona testing session being that kind of cold.

Mercedes seem to have a very narrow window for tyres when it comes to heat, I wonder are they just as limited at the other end too? If Mercedes keep suffering in these less than ideal conditions could it bring Red bull into contention? Max Verstappen isn't that far behind in the championship either.
You know Max did some (fun)testing in the snow back in 2016 with all wet Pirelli tyres. ;)

Hopefully we get a more exciting FP2 vs FP1. Tuning in now

Edit: and again at least a 30 minute delay....
Edit2: and cancelled. Best live action was Vettel showing the Schumacher Sr helmet to son Mick.

Last edited:

LeSunTzu

1000RPM
Feb 13, 2013
They knew that it was likely to happen, the Eifel weather in Autumn is not exactly fun.

What is your favorite social network?

• Twitter

Votes: 69 30.8%
  • Instagram

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Facebook

Votes: 38 17.0%
  • Other (specify in thread)

Votes: 53 23.7%