Who do you think will win the Belgian Grand Prix

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

2020 Formula One Belgian Grand Prix | Discussion Thread

Welcome to the central discussion thread for the 2020 Formula One Belgian Grand Prix.

The mighty Spa-Francorchamps welcomes Formula One racing once again this coming weekend - 7.004km of spectacular race track that make up one of the most loved and revered venues in the whole of world motorsport.

One year on from the tragic loss of F2 racer Antoine Herbert in a terrifying accident at the top of Eau Rouge, the Formula One circus again visits the iconic venue for what will be round seven of the much revised Grand Prix calendar.

The 2019 edition of the race would see Ferrari as the team in form, with a mighty front row lockout proceeding Charles Leclerc bringing home the silverware at the start of a stunning mid-season run of form - something that will feel like a lifetime ago now to a Ferrari team deep in the midst of a performance crisis in Formula One racing.

A high speed circuit that favours the brave driver, it will be difficult to look much further than Lewis Hamilton and Mercedes this weekend when it comes to the top spot of the podium - but with the ever present threat of rain showers so synonymous with the Belgian venue, Sunday afternoon might still produce one of two surprises for an unexpected result.

Hopefully another great race awaits..

11.jpg

Attachments

RaceDepartment Editor-in-Chief, occasional YouTuber, commentator and broadcaster, with a passion for motorsport on both the real and virtual racetrack.

Interslice

250RPM
Premium
Jun 3, 2019
Will be tuning in for this if the forecast for rain remains. Looks like they'll be starting on intermediates and second half on full wets. It's looking a bit dryer but drizzling for the quali too.

michelforest

500RPM
Mar 2, 2010
Looks like a wet race. Hamilton is great in the rain and he has the best car... Well, you do the math. Unless the weather is unpredictable and Mercedes gets the strategy wrong.

Reactions: BigMike8
Oct 19, 2017
Grosjean will receive classified engine program stuff, completely against the new rules (do we have the anti-party mode regulation already?) and win the race. Being disqualified afterwards and Lance Stroll wins post race. Hamilton will be P2 because BONO MY TYRES.

Mark my words!

Ulfhedinn

I WANNA GO FAST !!!
Nov 26, 2019
If there's one place where it can rain unpredictably, its Spa. Come on Belgium, we're counting on you! In 25 years of watching motorsport, I havent seen a single race, regardless of class, without chaos in the rain.
WEC Spa 2019 :whistling: cold, rain, snow :whistling:

Reactions: rubaru
Apr 10, 2019
Probably another win for Lewis. Kemmel straight will make the big difference I suppose. In the wet there might be a chance for Max, but in the dry the Mercedes is just too quick there.

Ronaldoz87

75RPM
Apr 28, 2019
Verstappen winning this would be epic. But that would also change the World Championship odds. Most likely won't happen, because the Mercedes will go to their operating power @ Q3. I still believe they will improve a lot over Q2. Still sandbagging. But who knows. I'm really curious how the static motor settings rule will have it's effect on the cars in the Q and R overall.

farjam

500RPM
Jun 4, 2017
Verstappen winning this would be epic. But that would also change the World Championship odds. Most likely won't happen, because the Mercedes will go to their operating power @ Q3. I still believe they will improve a lot over Q2. Still sandbagging. But who knows. I'm really curious how the static motor settings rule will have it's effect on the cars in the Q and R overall.
It is confirmed that they have used one engine mode for spanish GP qualy and race(and the gap was still devastating) in order to get ready for spa, but then that rule delayed to monza, so it's make sense that they will again act like spanish GP to get a better reference for monza too.

Ronaldoz87

75RPM
Apr 28, 2019
It is confirmed that they have used one engine mode for spanish GP qualy and race(and the gap was still devastating) in order to get ready for spa, but then that rule delayed to monza, so it's make sense that they will again act like spanish GP to get a better reference for monza too.
Allright, thanks for clarifying. Didn't know the new rule for a static engine mode is delayed.

Reactions: farjam

farjam

500RPM
Jun 4, 2017
Allright, thanks for clarifying. Didn't know the new rule for a static engine mode is delayed.
Yeah originally it was set for spa but for an unknown reason to us :D it got delayed to monza, and i must say the rule has some exceptions, summary:

"From the Italian GP onwards the same ICE mode must be used from the start of qualifying to the end of the race, but in effect only when a driver is running flat out.

Different modes can be used for in and out laps in qualifying, and any lap that is 20% slower than pole. In the race the laps to the grid, the lap after the chequered flag and any laps run under safety car or virtual safety car conditions are also excluded.

While the same mode has to be used throughout qualifying and the race on a given weekend, the mode chosen can vary between events.

ICE parameters can also change within a lap, but the same pattern has to be repeated on every lap.

Reflecting an earlier TD that covered parity between customer and works teams all engines from the same supplier must be run in the same mode on a given weekend.

Some allowance will be made for power units that are already in use, and which may have different levels of mileage and/or damage that a team has to take into account when they are operated."

*copied from motorsport.com
* It's only about ICE modes, not the electric power modes, so while the amount of allowed deploy-able electric energy during a lap has a cap (as before), still the different modes and where/when they want to use it, are still in the game
* I believe Mercedes is still want to simulate the Post-Monza situation but with a safety margin if needed, maybe if they fail to get the pole with a good margin at first Q3 run they turn the engine up for qualy and then race in lower mode for the last time that is allowed.

Oh boy, super heavy rain started a few mins ago

Last edited:
Reactions: Ronaldoz87

CreamyCornCob

500RPM
Oct 23, 2018
I know who he was, thanks. I just found it weird and kind of disrespectful to say the wrong name, when talking about this incident and giving tribute to the man.
The article misspells his first and last name, a whole three errors in one short name.
Apparently you don't. Dude. Give it a break already. That's not an 'article' that you say it is, that's his official Twitter :rolleyes: :
His last name isn't Herbert like you keep incessantly insist that it is, its Hubert. And his first name isn't misspelled either, it's Anthoine.

Nice job ruining a simple tribute to the man. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: sparkmastertape