Alright when was that again.....?

Absolutely true. It just freaks me out to understand how people perceive some things. And how easily manipulated things in life can be. We humans are rather weird, give us a disaster, and we will be entertained the hell out of it.

• Deleted member 379375

It says vote YOUR driver of the day. Some people vote for Grosjean, I can see that and did the same. Some people vote for Perez, Lewis or Sainz, i also can see that.

Its your choice, your interpretation. There is no right or wrong, so please dont be angry if someone has a different interpretation of the question.

Surely the premise of driver of the day is to vote for the driver who you think performed the best during the race.

That doesn't prevent anyone expressing well wishes to Grosjean whilst still voting for the driver who drove best in their opinion. I know opinions differ but it's a bit of a stretch even in these alternative facts times to nominate Grosgean as driver of the day

Reminded me of Bergers horrible fireball crash....same outcome thank god. Although Rossi avoiding 160kg of bike wreckage by millimetres at RBR is the luckiest escape of the year for me.

Attachments

• valentino-rossi.jpeg
    valentino-rossi.jpeg
    61.9 KB · Views: 87
Well, I think its an absolute disgrace!
I do get the sentiment why this was born, but the "challenge" is DRIVER of the day. Now, out of some kind of warm feelings, he is driver fo the day?
Tell me; what did he do so well than??

People tend to forget, it was HE who moved over, right after the first corners; blind spot or not; he could have known that move was not really on.

The same thing with Bianchi; "ow he was such a perfect driver, would have made WC" and so on.
People forget, HE was moving 300 kph + under double yellow with standing water on the track, period.
It IS sad to see him gone, but he could have applied by the rules also.

I'm happy to see Grosjean walk out of there, no question about that, but he was NOT the best driver out there today, period.

Driver of the day is not the same as best driver of the day, because it does not include the word best.

So what does driver of the day mean?
It means the most notable driver in the eyes of those voting - entirely subjective.
For some it means winning, for others it means fighting and then, like today, there are those who believe it means surviving an accident.

Would I vote for him, no, but that does not meant I can’t understand others who judge him to be “driver of the day“ - as even the media have put him at the center of attention.

So he certainly was notable.

He WAS the de facto “driver of the day“ when it comes to attention and maybe - time will tell - of the season, as it certainly was a spectacular and frightening accident, with a moment of gloom followed by a happy end.

A perfect event for the F1 2020 season.

Disgrace?
Take a chill pill.
You vote for your choice and move on.

Note, it is not your opinion I mind, like I said I would not vote for Grosjean either, but the way you deal with your disagreement. There are a lot of disgraceful acts / things in this world, but the outcome of this vote certainly isn’t one of them.

Last edited:
Oh Romain , my friend , it was just a nigtmar when i seen only the rear of your car emerge from the flames .....30 s after like the t1000 you emerge too . Unbreakable :inlove:

Last edited:
Not sure how I feel about Romain being the driver of the day, but I've never been more relieved to see someone getting out of a car - so I'll give him a vote for best exit, jumping out of the flames - and least graceful exit award goes to Stroll ;)

Driver of the day: Sainz, Perez, Hamilton, thought they all put great drives in. I ticked Perez 'cos it only allows one vote :p

Tldr;

Totally understandable that emotions run high after shocking events like these - and if it was *Zandvoort in '73 I'd vote for David Purley in a heartbeat. In case of any doubt, I was massively relieved to see Grosjean escape, and later to hear he's (relatively!) OK.

The world moves on, F1 now is nothing like it was 20, 30 yrs ago, because if it was Grosjean would not have lasted this long in single seaters. Maybe it's not 'nice' to say that, but imo he's demonstrated far too many times his incredible lack of spatial awareness. We could so easily have been watching Kvyat in the barrier if Lady Luck had an off-day on Sunday, and the cause would be the guy that's being voted driver of the day.

Out of the car, he seems to be a very nice, personable young guy, with a young family, I hope he has a long and happy life. Away from top line motorsport.

*Edit: sorry, I meant to say, I get why ppl wanted to vote for the rescue crew members!

Last edited:
Thank goodness there was a spectacular crash with nobody seriously hurt. Without this, the race had relatively low entertainment value.
Sainz and Norris overtaking a bunch of people wasn't entertaining to you? Does every race need to be Spa or Japan 2000 for it to entertain you?

Perhaps I'm biased because we follow McLaren, but I thought it was overall pretty entertaining.

• Deleted member 379375

To get out of that car that quickly......driver of the day for sure! He had to do it cuz I cant see how anyone would have got in to get him in time.

That's one vote from me then for Getter-outerer-of-the-car-of-the-day

I went for Albon, he managed to get a result that was fitting of his car. Even if he'd just gotten 4th it would have been a good race. RB are giving him a lot of opportunity to come good.

I don't see why Grosjean would get votes, he managed to split his car in half and set the part without fuel and engine on fire.

Sainz and Norris overtaking a bunch of people wasn't entertaining to you? Does every race need to be Spa or Japan 2000 for it to entertain you?

Perhaps I'm biased because we follow McLaren, but I thought it was overall pretty entertaining.
You are right. It was entertaining. I am just down on F1 lately for not doing more to make the racing even more entertaining. I am also frustrated by the hypocritical "race as one" messaging from F1.

I think the halo cockpit is a problem. Yes, it saves Grosjean's life, but does he make the error if he has clearer visibility of a car coming from behind and beside him?

I say the same thing for Stroll. These drivers often get criticised for their driving, yet I don't think they make their errors if they are able to see other cars and don't have as many distractions like an onboard computer and engineer in their head all the time.

I don't know why F1 doesn't see it as a serious issue. If you removed their dashboard computer for a back mirror the sport would be safer.

Fork lift / lift truck driver should have been nominated for his speedy ability to fill in gaps with millimeter precision!

Glad to see Grosjean exit his car on his own with relatively light injuries.

Carlos Sainz Jr = my driver of the day. P5 to P15 via bold and decisive passes.

Haas F1 have confirmed that test and reserve driver Pietro Fittipaldi will represent the team at the upcoming Sakhir Grand Prix, replacing Romain Grosjean following his fiery accident on Sunday.

Fittipaldi, 24, is the grandson of three-time Formula One World Champion Emerson, and has been in place at the Haas F1 team as reserve driver this year following part season endeavours in IndyCar, WEC and DTM in recent seasons, and will make a long awaited debut in the top flight of motorsport at the hastily scheduled Sakhir Grand Prix, a new layout in use for the first time with Grand Prix cars this coming weekend.

“Most importantly I’m happy Romain is safe and healthy. We’re all very happy his injuries are relatively minor after such a huge incident" said Fittipaldi of his confirmation at Haas.​

“Obviously, it’s not an ideal set of circumstances to get my first opportunity to compete in Formula 1, but I’m extremely grateful to Gene Haas and Guenther Steiner for their faith in putting me behind the wheel this weekend. I’ve been with the team a lot this season, both trackside and working on simulator sessions, so I’m familiar with the team’s operating procedures on a grand prix weekend. It’s going to be exciting to make my first career start in Formula 1 – I’ll be giving it my all and I look forward to starting in free practice on Friday in Bahrain.” added the 24-year-old Brazilian.​

Fittipaldi Middle.jpg

Although Grosjean did will to escape serious injury on Sunday afternoon, the team have elected to rest the French driver for "at least the next race" while he recovers from burns to the back of his hands. With Grosjean and Haas parting ways at the end of the season to make way for an all new line up in the American team, it remains to be seen if the seven time podium finisher returns to the cockpit at all, or if we've seen the end of a career that promised so much.

For F1 news and chat, head over to the RaceDepartment Formula One sub forum and get involved in the action today!

Fittipaldi Header.jpg

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 297 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 205 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 200 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 147 7.6%
  • < 5 years