Alright when was that again.....?

Well, I think its an absolute disgrace!
I do get the sentiment why this was born, but the "challenge" is DRIVER of the day. Now, out of some kind of warm feelings, he is driver fo the day?
Tell me; what did he do so well than??

People tend to forget, it was HE who moved over, right after the first corners; blind spot or not; he could have known that move was not really on.

The same thing with Bianchi; "ow he was such a perfect driver, would have made WC" and so on.
People forget, HE was moving 300 kph + under double yellow with standing water on the track, period.
It IS sad to see him gone, but he could have applied by the rules also.

I'm happy to see Grosjean walk out of there, no question about that, but he was NOT the best driver out there today, period.

Obviously it is great that Grosjean survived such a massive crash but had he just smashed the nose off his car & rolled to a halt he would probably be in trouble with the FIA stewards for such a stupid move.The pack of cars slowed in front & he spotted an opportunity on the right & assumed Kivyat was not there.Most drivers on the exit of the first corner would have assumed another car was there before moving right,checked mirrors etc before moving or lift & get in behind the pack.

I voted for Grosjean because I'm glad he's alive. The rest, who was the best driver, etc., is pretty pointless to me. Plus, what will we remember in a year from now? Hamilton's victory? Perez losing a podium? Grosjean cheating death? I think the answer is obvious.

If this had been a race like any other, I would have voted Perez. A shame he won't be on the grid next year, because I think Albon did just enough today to keep his seat in 2021.

Last edited:
I am so thankful Grosjean is ok and, considering his injuries are minor, I am going to be so bold as to say I think he should consider taking some time to really evaluate if he should be competing at these speeds in open wheeled cars. He is a very good possibility for IndyCar next year - as a big racing fan who doesn't like seeing people hurt (or worse) in the name of my entertainment, I really hope he will consider at least sitting out the ovals.

Grosjean is no doubt in the top 1% of race drivers in the world, but he's competing in rarified air and that has a tendency to turn little mistakes into big ones. Grosjean has consistently made little mistakes throughout his career - it's a pattern and no one will make me see it differently. For everyone's sake, I hope he's doing some reflecting.

i think people are voting for him because of how he got out of the car, that was on fire, that was broke in two, and attached to the barrier.

whilst on fire
Not only Halo safe his life, he did safe his life. That was a key factor, if he would not be able to climb out on his own this would have been a different headline, too.

I voted him because of that.

I voted Hamilton.

He was just about untouchable for the entire weekend. 1st in FP1, 1st in FP2, 2nd in FP3, pole in qualifying, and won the race with a lead that was at one point, damn near 30s to second place.

I also agree with what Jonny Austin said. I'm extremely grateful that Romain is alright after that horrific crash. The HALO and F1's stellar safety system did their job perfectly. However, like Jonny said, Romain was exiting the first corner, on the first lap. He should have probably expected a car to be alongside him. But that's just my opinion.

Imagine Daniil Kvyat would have went to have same accident instead of Grosjean as he cut him in worst racecraft fashion. Grosjean is so lucky today, not only that he escaped the fire, was not decapitated, not even a fracture, but also that he himself was there, and not Kvyat.

Things has kind of evened out for Grosjean. If after this accident he will still be unable to race properly, then he should quit.

Grosjean is surely star of the day, it is just thrilling and amazing how lucky he was and it is so outstanding that such accident even happened in modern F1. But he is worst driver of the day, no doubt about that.

Well, I think its an absolute disgrace!
I do get the sentiment why this was born, but the "challenge" is DRIVER of the day. Now, out of some kind of warm feelings, he is driver fo the day?
Tell me; what did he do so well than??

People tend to forget, it was HE who moved over, right after the first corners; blind spot or not; he could have known that move was not really on.

The same thing with Bianchi; "ow he was such a perfect driver, would have made WC" and so on.
People forget, HE was moving 300 kph + under double yellow with standing water on the track, period.
It IS sad to see him gone, but he could have applied by the rules also.

I'm happy to see Grosjean walk out of there, no question about that, but he was NOT the best driver out there today, period.

there is nothing written about picking a driver that is driver of the day because he as been the best or the fastest. Grosjean deserves to be driver of the day for being able to escape an horrifying crash that 50 years ago would be guaranteed to be fatal. a famous sweden driver had a similar crash in monza 1978 and didn't survive. halo saved Grosjean from the armco. Koinigg in watkins glen 1974 didn't had halo and...

Last edited:
I voted Hamilton.

He was just about untouchable for the entire weekend. 1st in FP1, 1st in FP2, 2nd in FP3, pole in qualifying, and won the race with a lead that was at one point, damn near 30s to second place.
I agree that Hamilton did an excellent job, but he was not 30s clear to Verstappen, Verstappen did an extra pit stop to get the fastest lap and maybe have an advantage after a safety car.

Many people know this. But MOST people today feel that their personal opinion on the performance of any driver is less important than being thankful he is still alive, just like Perez feels his lost podium is not important today. Apparently you feel different.
Have a nice day.

Last edited:
After a while it's easy for people to forget these guys risk their lives for the entertainment of others.

Some humans put sport before a life and would expect drivers to carry on if it was more serious ... The only time that changes is if the situation affects you or some one you know.

Who's fault it is doesn't matter when it's that close to a fatal situation.

In the line of duty his life was on the line ....

Surprised some didn't give Albon driver of the day.

I think that the medical car driver, Alan van der Merwe deserves a mention today too. He was so quick onto the scene,
and was immediately at the guard rail to help Romain over the barrier and provide care.
With all due respect, that was Dr Ian Roberts, co-driver of the medical car, going into the flames. Alan was grabbing another extinguisher from the back of the car. Nevertheless they did a great job.

there is nothing written about picking a driver that is driver of the day because he as been the best or the fastest. Grosjean deserves to be driver of the day for being able to escape an horrifying crash that 50 years ago would be guaranteed to be fatal. a famous sweden driver had a similar crash in monza 1978 and didn't survive. halo saved Grosjean from the armco. Koinigg in watkins glen 1974 didn't had halo and...

Well, maybe. But when I read driver, then I associate that with act of driving. And his driving almost killed him, and put other into same potential danger. I think this guy might be encouraged to keep on racing the way he does, seems like you guys appreciate that.

Even him being able to escape has little to do with him. Think of every engineer designing every bit of gear that had to protect him. Yet it is amazing to see human this powered, simply leaping out of the fire, out of destroyed car. I get the heroic impression. Does deserve some love for staying alive.

I would say, he is the reason Halo was introduced to F1 in the first place lol Remember SPA start mega crash ?

I understand what people are trying to say , but it's still strange to vote driver of the day for Grosjean , when all he did was climb out of a car

dont' take me wrong, I'm very happy he escaped what could have been a fatal accident , but that to me just makes the votes for Driver of the day for him kind of "political", really taking away from what the driver of the day award should be

it reminds me of awards for last place, so that kids don't feel bad - even though I do admit the comaprison here is bit stretched

not really sure what I'm trying to say here but yeah, I thought there were few drivers out there showing amazing performance , like Sainz, Perez even Lando

again, at the end of the day, I suppose it doens't matter

but if we wanted to give award for safety, it should go to track marshals, haas engineers and fia for updating the rules, Grosjean was just a passenger who got into this by his own actions

Well, maybe. But when I read driver, then I associate that with act of driving. And his driving almost killed him, and put other into same potential danger. I think this guy might be encouraged to keep on racing the way he does, seems like you guys appreciate that.

Even him being able to escape has little to do with him. Think of every engineer designing every bit of gear that had to protect him. Yet it is amazing to see human this powered, simply leaping out of the fire, out of destroyed car. I get the heroic impression. Does deserve some love for staying alive.

I would say, he is the reason Halo was introduced to F1 in the first place lol Remember SPA start mega crash ?

Either you haven't seen the replays or you're cynical for blaming a driving style on something so circumstantial.

If you have watched Grosjean's onboard camera, you can see a piece of debris going under his front right wheel. Grosjean stepped aside to the right to avoid potential contact from drivers above, some of them with problems: on the first corners, he saw Vettel and stroll touching, a McLaren sparking and another car was out of the track of the left. The decision of going to the right (everything between going to the right and the collision with Kyvat happened in fractions of a second) was the best one from a reasonable viewpoint.

Do you know? When Senna had the fatal crash in 1994, a couple of drivers thought that Senna crashed because of driver error. You probably wouldn't think differently from them.

His driving style killed him, isn't it? The same goes for Ronnie Peterson, because the accident was very similar, and he retired 53 times out of 124 races, so...

If Grosjean's accident was because of his driving style, he would have a race ban like in Spa 2012. Or at least receive a penalty. He or his team for reasons related to the driving style of the driver.

What's that b******* of "is amazing to see human this powered, simply leaping out of the fire, out of destroyed car" to understand that most Formula One fans are voting him as driver of the day because of that, and telling that people who voted him driver of the day is because they like to see an aggressive driver tendencious to have a supposed questionable driving style? You have to be a psychopath to think something like you wrote and genuinely believe it, having enough balls and an empty head to write it. Bravo.

When you understand the driver of the day as you said and you comment with cynicism ahead prejudging a formula 1 driver as someone "not very good", these pearls are read.

More than half vote him as a driver of the day for having survived. For many who watched Formula 1 in the last 3, 4, or 5 years, this is possibly the most terrible accident they have ever seen in Formula 1. If security standards were in the 70s or 80s, he wouldn't have survived.

I perfectly grasp the weed of pointing out Grosjean in that final paragraph. I will correct in case there are others who read you and believe you. You don't matter to me anymore at this point.

The reason for introducing halo was because of the unfortunate Henry Surtees F2 fatal crash in Brands Hatch, 2009. That started everything and accelerated with Jules Bianchi's fatal accident in the 2014 Japanese Grand Prix. Research about cockpit protection started in 2011.

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 76 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 111 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 151 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 288 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing