Upcoming Events

Weekly BMW races on Simracing.GP Other regular AC events on Simracing.GP Weekly GT3 Sprint Races on Simracing.GP Weekly GT4 Sprint Races on Simracing.GP Daily WTCR races on Simracing.GP

2020 Formula One Bahrain Grand Prix | Driver of the Day: Vote Now

Reminded me of Bergers horrible fireball crash....same outcome thank god. Although Rossi avoiding 160kg of bike wreckage by millimetres at RBR is the luckiest escape of the year for me.

Attachments

• valentino-rossi.jpeg
    valentino-rossi.jpeg
    61.9 KB · Views: 55

Ruy Horta

Premium
Well, I think its an absolute disgrace!
I do get the sentiment why this was born, but the "challenge" is DRIVER of the day. Now, out of some kind of warm feelings, he is driver fo the day?
Tell me; what did he do so well than??

People tend to forget, it was HE who moved over, right after the first corners; blind spot or not; he could have known that move was not really on.

The same thing with Bianchi; "ow he was such a perfect driver, would have made WC" and so on.
People forget, HE was moving 300 kph + under double yellow with standing water on the track, period.
It IS sad to see him gone, but he could have applied by the rules also.

I'm happy to see Grosjean walk out of there, no question about that, but he was NOT the best driver out there today, period.

Driver of the day is not the same as best driver of the day, because it does not include the word best.

So what does driver of the day mean?
It means the most notable driver in the eyes of those voting - entirely subjective.
For some it means winning, for others it means fighting and then, like today, there are those who believe it means surviving an accident.

Would I vote for him, no, but that does not meant I can’t understand others who judge him to be “driver of the day“ - as even the media have put him at the center of attention.

So he certainly was notable.

He WAS the de facto “driver of the day“ when it comes to attention and maybe - time will tell - of the season, as it certainly was a spectacular and frightening accident, with a moment of gloom followed by a happy end.

A perfect event for the F1 2020 season.

Disgrace?
Take a chill pill.
You vote for your choice and move on.

Note, it is not your opinion I mind, like I said I would not vote for Grosjean either, but the way you deal with your disagreement. There are a lot of disgraceful acts / things in this world, but the outcome of this vote certainly isn’t one of them.

Last edited:
Oh Romain , my friend , it was just a nigtmar when i seen only the rear of your car emerge from the flames .....30 s after like the t1000 you emerge too . Unbreakable :inlove:

Last edited:
Not sure how I feel about Romain being the driver of the day, but I've never been more relieved to see someone getting out of a car - so I'll give him a vote for best exit, jumping out of the flames - and least graceful exit award goes to Stroll ;)

Driver of the day: Sainz, Perez, Hamilton, thought they all put great drives in. I ticked Perez 'cos it only allows one vote :p

Tldr;

Totally understandable that emotions run high after shocking events like these - and if it was *Zandvoort in '73 I'd vote for David Purley in a heartbeat. In case of any doubt, I was massively relieved to see Grosjean escape, and later to hear he's (relatively!) OK.

The world moves on, F1 now is nothing like it was 20, 30 yrs ago, because if it was Grosjean would not have lasted this long in single seaters. Maybe it's not 'nice' to say that, but imo he's demonstrated far too many times his incredible lack of spatial awareness. We could so easily have been watching Kvyat in the barrier if Lady Luck had an off-day on Sunday, and the cause would be the guy that's being voted driver of the day.

Out of the car, he seems to be a very nice, personable young guy, with a young family, I hope he has a long and happy life. Away from top line motorsport.

*Edit: sorry, I meant to say, I get why ppl wanted to vote for the rescue crew members!

Last edited:

Jason Chamberlain

Mobile Chicane
Premium
Thank goodness there was a spectacular crash with nobody seriously hurt. Without this, the race had relatively low entertainment value.
Sainz and Norris overtaking a bunch of people wasn't entertaining to you? Does every race need to be Spa or Japan 2000 for it to entertain you?

Perhaps I'm biased because we follow McLaren, but I thought it was overall pretty entertaining.

I went for Albon, he managed to get a result that was fitting of his car. Even if he'd just gotten 4th it would have been a good race. RB are giving him a lot of opportunity to come good.

I don't see why Grosjean would get votes, he managed to split his car in half and set the part without fuel and engine on fire.

Sainz and Norris overtaking a bunch of people wasn't entertaining to you? Does every race need to be Spa or Japan 2000 for it to entertain you?

Perhaps I'm biased because we follow McLaren, but I thought it was overall pretty entertaining.
You are right. It was entertaining. I am just down on F1 lately for not doing more to make the racing even more entertaining. I am also frustrated by the hypocritical "race as one" messaging from F1.

Ruttman98

Premium
Fork lift / lift truck driver should have been nominated for his speedy ability to fill in gaps with millimeter precision!

Glad to see Grosjean exit his car on his own with relatively light injuries.

Carlos Sainz Jr = my driver of the day. P5 to P15 via bold and decisive passes.

I went for Albon, he managed to get a result that was fitting of his car. Even if he'd just gotten 4th it would have been a good race. RB are giving him a lot of opportunity to come good.

I don't see why Grosjean would get votes, he managed to split his car in half and set the part without fuel and engine on fire.
How many seconds behind his team mate?

Horrific crash which reminded me of Cevert in 1973... same kind of crach, very different outcome (Cevert died beheaded by the rail and burned to charcoal)!!! F1 has indeed done progress in security, even if Romain did have a guardian angel for this one, the high Gs shock could have easily knocked him down... Lucky indeed!

For me Perez was the driver of the race... so unlucky but what a race. Last time, lots of posters did forget Charles amazing p18 to p2 which means that lots are very biased in their choice unfortunately...

About Romain as driver of the day... I am ok with that... I watched so many good drivers and often dear ones die since the late 70 that when one cheats death like this, it is always an empathic moment to rejoice. Imagine if Halos and titanium cage were available in 94 at Imola...

Last edited:

BertramRaven

Premium
I told this joke just before the beginning of the F1 race in Bahrain. I feel a bit odd about it now. Anyway, here it goes:

Romain Grosjean was searching in the Haas garage one day when he came across an old oil lamp. He rubbed it eagerly and as he hoped, a genie appeared. The genie announced in a deep and lustrous voice, "I am the genie of the lamp. You are permitted three wishes, but before you say a word I need to warn you there are three rules. First rule: I can't make anyone love you. Second rule: I cannot kill anyone for you and finally: I cannot give you eternal life."
Grosjean thought for a moment and asked, "I would like to have an incident free first lap in Bahrain."
The genie looked worried and in a more timid voice said, "Actually, there are four rules....."

A couple of minutes later I felt a bit queezy!

Last edited:

BertramRaven

Premium
Horrific crash which reminded me of Cevert in 1973... same kind of crach, very different outcome (Cevert died beheaded by the rail and burned to charcoal)!!! F1 has indeed done progress in security, even if Romain did have a guardian angel for this one, the high Gs shock could have easily knocked him down... Lucky indeed!

For me Perez was the driver of the race... so unlucky but what a race. Last time, lots of posters did forget Charles amazing p18 to p2 which means that lots are very biased in their choice unfortunately...

About Romain as driver of the day... I am ok with that... I watched so many good drivers and often dear ones die since the late 70 that when one cheats death like this, it is always an empathic moment to rejoice. Imagine if Halos and titanium cage were available in 94 at Imola...
On SkyF1 a question was asked which I frequently ask, why can we not vote for the safety-car and medical car drivers as driver of the day.

Last edited: