Alright when was that again.....?

Then all races must be canceled from now? Because this can happen on all tracks with paved runoff areas and solid guard rails, specially when the driver lost control off the car and nothing slows down the car. I think it’s better to go back to more sand traps it’s safer and racing will be better. That’s my opinion

I can't reply properly without lots of swearing.

Wow, one of the scariest-looking crashes I've ever seen. The safety of the cars is amazing now, and thank goodness. However the drivers need some serious retraining on their behavior - there were obviously multiple cars going off the place up ahead, and they just try to race flat-out through it. And not the first serious accident lately where that's been a contributing factor either. A couple decades ago the drivers were much better behaved.

Then all races must be canceled from now? Because this can happen on all tracks with paved runoff areas and solid guard rails, specially when the driver lost control off the car and nothing slows down the car. I think it’s better to go back to more sand traps it’s safer and racing will be better. That’s my opinion

Sandtraps don't matter, cars can get airborne...remember Alonso doing multiple barrel rolls mid-air? He flew over a sandtrap if I recall correctly.

Yes things can happen, but there's a little something called "being humane". Entertainment isn't everything. I wouldn't mind if they cancelled it personally, but it should be the call of each driver.

Last edited:
My God how can he be alive and practically unharmed, thankfully

Without the halo, Grosjean would probably be dead or at the very least, he would have suffered head injuries similar to Jules Bianchi’s fatal injuries. This accident was a bit similar to François Cevert’s and Helmut Koinning’s fatal crashes.

One of those reminders that we get from time to time that motor racing, while safer than before, is a highly risky sport. These guys put their life on the line when they get in that cockpit.

In one of the practice sessions, they showed one of the younger drivers (Latifi maybe?) on track with his fire suit only partially zipped at the top, and the commentators talked about how warm it was and trying to get some air circulation. I didn't think anything of it at the time, which is why I can't even remember for sure who it was, but that accident immediately brought it back into my mind.

Zip up those fire suits, boys...

Now is a good for Grosjean to make this his last race and go spend some time with his wife and kid.
Watching and being in that situation is two different things. To be swimming in that fire is crazy.

Hail the Halo!!!

Have to give him driver of the day.
Big shame about Perez

Last edited:
I didn’t watch the race as I have officially fallen out of love with the sport. (I know, no one cares). However, a couple of friends messaged me about the crash. Having watched it back I’m so so so glad that Romain walked away from that. Very scary stuff. I thought the barriers were meant to have that interlocking buffering infront of them?? Not the case here??

After today's crash, I don't want to see ANYONE complain about the halo or the motorsport becoming "too safe" ever again. These safety measures are the only reason Grosjean is still alive and can spend the holidays with his partner and children. That alone is more important than any sport will ever be. Only 3 years ago, he would've been dead.

Last edited:
What happened on Lap 1 was shocking I am glad Romain is okay but I would say for driver of the day, Romain Grosjean wins it but also special mention to Alain Van Der Merwe who helped him out.....so I am asking for dual drivers of the day award to be given out to Romain and Alain here!

Also another special mention to Ian Roberts as well....without him and Van Der Merwe, Grosjean wouldnt be here right now.....

Last edited:
I do what Grosjean does all the time. In sim racing.

But that fireball in real life wasn't worth it at all. I can't even even see how he gets out of it without the fire extinguisher helping. He did very well to escape it.

Quite a few things were miraculous. How the car survived the barrier and how the suit protected the flames.

Voting is open for the RaceDepartment Bahrain Grand Prix 'Driver of the Day'.

An opening lap like the one we witnessed today in Bahrain will always put things into perspective. It is worth taking a moment to be thankful for the leaps made in safety, as well as for the procedures and people in place that make Formula One as safe as it can be.

When the race got back underway, we saw some strong performances from drivers up and down the grid. There was an impressive display of overtaking ability from certain drivers, including one who managed to rise 10 places in today's race.

Others managed to demonstrate real consistency in a race where tyre degradation was very high, taking advantage of reliability problems suffered by others. This saw one driver score their second career podium, while another secured their best result since the opening race of the year.

Let us know who you thought starred in today's race, and join us in wishing a swift recovery to Romain Grosjean.

Grosjean.jpg

Attachments

• Cover.jpg
    Cover.jpg
    422.9 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 244 15.0%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 166 10.2%