2020 Formula One Bahrain Grand Prix | Discussion Thread

Alex Harkett

Premium
I didn’t watch the race as I have officially fallen out of love with the sport. (I know, no one cares). However, a couple of friends messaged me about the crash. Having watched it back I’m so so so glad that Romain walked away from that. Very scary stuff. I thought the barriers were meant to have that interlocking buffering infront of them?? Not the case here??

After today's crash, I don't want to see ANYONE complain about the halo or the motorsport becoming "too safe" ever again. These safety measures are the only reason Grosjean is still alive and can spend the holidays with his partner and children. That alone is more important than any sport will ever be. Only 3 years ago, he would've been dead.

Last edited:
What happened on Lap 1 was shocking I am glad Romain is okay but I would say for driver of the day, Romain Grosjean wins it but also special mention to Alain Van Der Merwe who helped him out.....so I am asking for dual drivers of the day award to be given out to Romain and Alain here!

Also another special mention to Ian Roberts as well....without him and Van Der Merwe, Grosjean wouldnt be here right now.....

Last edited:
I do what Grosjean does all the time. In sim racing.

But that fireball in real life wasn't worth it at all. I can't even even see how he gets out of it without the fire extinguisher helping. He did very well to escape it.

Quite a few things were miraculous. How the car survived the barrier and how the suit protected the flames.

Kimmo Kokkonen

Lord GTR3, His master's voice
Finland
The guy could have lost his life today, have some respect. If not, for yourself at least, have some integrity and decency.
Yeah I know your point but it was his own fault, like if I jumped off the roof. Please notice also that the race had only been driven 500 meters when he cut straight in front of another driver when the speed was already 250 km/h, not so smart move from Romain. When he leaves this circus we no longer see his silly movements, it wasn't the first time for him but hope so the last.

After today's crash, I don't want to see ANYONE complain about the halo or the motorsport becoming "too safe" ever again. Only 3 years ago, he would've been dead.

No doubt. This right here would have been game over, not even a question. Have a look at the cockpit helmet surround.

:(
4xgg.jpg

Last edited:

RasmusP

Premium
Germany
Yeah I know your point but it was his own fault, like if I jumped off the roof. Please notice also that the race had only been driven 500 meters when he cut straight in front of another driver when the speed was already 250 km/h, not so smart move from Romain. When he leaves this circus we no longer see his silly movements, it wasn't the first time for him but hope so the last.
Not arguing, but I had a look at his onboard and what changes perspective of this is that Grosjean actually looked into his right mirror before/while pulling to the right.
It was very unlucky that kvyat was completely in his blind spot.
Grosjean had a good exit and overtook kvyat just a moment before so he probably thought he'd be past and his right side were clear.

I don't wanna know what he thought when he felt that frontwheel in his rear and now pointing towards the wall...

These 2 facts combined make his "mistake" way less open for criticism.

However I think he should stop racing high speed openwheelers...

I kinda like him outside of the cockpit!
But Barcelona + this one show that he shouldn't stretch his luck too far :redface::O_o:

Last edited:

NDG

All people who watched that live on TV, the internet, or on-site literally suffered shock... I remember the post-race show has a very somber mood, and the topic was all about him and they were just trying to go through the race results on the side. I never really liked Romain, but I also don't like him dead. God Blessed him! Really a dead man walking...