Who will win the Bahrain Grand Prix?

• Total voters

2020 Formula One Bahrain Grand Prix | Discussion Thread

Welcome to the discussion thread for the 2020 Formula One Bahrain Grand Prix.

Almost 20 months after its last visit, Formula One has returned to Sakhir for the first weekend of the double-header at the Bahrain International Circuit.

It's been a while since F1 enjoyed its last night race, and no doubt drivers and fans alike will look forward to seeing the cars out on track and under the floodlights at the start of FP2 on Friday evening. It's a balanced circuit in that it features long straights as well as a mixture of low, medium and high speed corners.

Rather unexpectedly - given that we're going racing in the desert - there is a strong possibility of rain on both Saturday and Sunday. The unusual November date for the Bahrain Grand Prix means that temperatures are expected to be slightly cooler than usual too, which should be an interesting challenge for the teams.

The nature of the circuit layout encourages wheel-to-wheel racing, giving drivers the opportunity to create memorable battles like the one between Hamilton and Rosberg in 2014. As the midfield continues to converge in performance, and we get ever closer to the end of the season, expect to see some good fights this weekend.

Let us know what you're looking forward to about this weekend, and let's get some discussion going!

Sakhir Sunset.jpg

Last edited:
22. Software Engineer with experience in Formula One and Motorsport simulation.

Terry Rock

2000RPM
Oct 24, 2009
That is the correct response.

Patrik Marek

1000RPM
Premium
Oct 25, 2014
it's quite simple, like in every other industry, if you don't want to hire driver for more then $10mil, then don't , but don't expect that every driver will want to drive for you

if the driver is worth $30 mil, I don't see why he shouldn't be payed that, ( and I'm talking in general sense here) , it's same in every industry,
if you can find someone who does same or better job and is cheaper, you do hire them most of the time

BP

1000RPM
Premium
Nov 1, 2016
Paying the drivers those salaries is a drop in the bucket for what most teams make, both financially and from global exposure, not to mention boosting the big money machine that is F1. Pay them what they're worth. Some people get paid tons more for just sitting in a chair and/or and having a famous name. What they decide to do with that money afterwards is their own business.

BigMike8

SimRacing 604
Premium
Feb 18, 2017
On the note of Hamilton's salary, I can't fault him for commanding a massive salary. I think it's like Jay-Z said: "Would you rather be overpaid or underrated?"

Back to the topic of Bahrain, I don't see this being any different from the majority of races this year. Bottas ahead of Hamilton in practice, Bottas or Hamilton on pole ahead of Verstappen, then Hamilton drives a consistent race and gets win number 95. I hope for a repeat of the type of action we saw at Mugello or Portimao, but it's not likely...

Reactions: FlashQld

michelforest

500RPM
Mar 2, 2010
it's quite simple, like in every other industry, if you don't want to hire driver for more then $10mil, then don't , but don't expect that every driver will want to drive for you

if the driver is worth $30 mil, I don't see why he shouldn't be payed that, ( and I'm talking in general sense here) , it's same in every industry,
if you can find someone who does same or better job and is cheaper, you do hire them most of the time
Could not agree more. I've never been bothered by the salaries given to star athletes, whatever the sport. If a team is willing to pay a driver 50 million a year, it's because they've decided that this driver is worth it and that they have the means to pay him. No one is putting a gun to the team principal's head.

I seldom see people making a fuss about the outrageous fees some very ordinary but (for some reason) popular actors receive to make movies (*cough Tom Cruise *cough*). Why should it be different for athletes?

As for the race this weekend: let's hope for rain in Bahrein (sorry, could not resist.)

Antony Snook

500RPM
Jul 16, 2011
A podcaster friend of mine said why do we go to Bahrain. He thought it was just about Oil for the engine. As there is a lot of Oil out there. What people don't remember is Oil makes one of the most versatile products out their Rubber and also foam is everywhere in our daily lives. Soles of our shoes between glass tires and many other places. You are probably surrounded by foam and rubber right now. And also Gold the most precious metal in the world.
F1 is about going where the money is and sadly its not very accessible in Europe. That is why we go to Aisia and Middle east. The series would go broke if we did not go there.

Antony Snook

500RPM
Jul 16, 2011
Micheal Schumacher's salary at Ferrari was paid by Phillip Morris , how could you include something like that ?
He also had personal Sponsors. He could not drive for McLaren because the team would not let him bring personal sponsors not associated
I suppose their point of view can be
We also want to be winning team having the best driver, but we can't afford it , that's why they would like to have driver caps
It is NOT about the money the drivers get for risking their lives while racing.

It is about the next race !

Please STAY ON TOPIC . Thank you.
I don't think F1 is that dangerous today. Advances in Medicine design and rules that promote more gentlemanly driving are in place. Its about the wife children and what you will do if you loose your drive
with the team.