Alright when was that again.....?

From 2016:

After getting blocked during a session by Callum Ilott, Force India’s F1 development driver Nikita Mazepin punched the 17-year-old after a war of words, giving him a black eye and a swollen jaw.

The decision from the race stewards was to give the Russian driver a ban for the first race of the weekend.

-------------------------------------------

Enough said.
Remember Ayerton Senna punched Irishman Eddie Irvine for re passing after going a lap down. And James hunt punched a Marshall trying to help him after he binned his car. Its emotion that is part of sport and it happens all the time just watch NASCAR.

Yep agreed.
From driving in real life to sims you are doing the same basic stuff. You can debate the accuracy of physics etc, but no debating on the very basics.
Round thing steers you, fast pedal, slow pedal....and gear stick also and clutch if needed...

With bike 'sims' its pretty poor cross over.

Off topic question, but is there an alternative to MotoGP or are there other superbike championships?

Off topic question, but is there an alternative to MotoGP or are there other superbike championships?
In real life? I suppose the World Superbike is a decent alternative. It doesn't seem to get anything like the same coverage though. Johnathan Rea has just as many championships as Lewis, but most of my mates have never heard of him; all of them know the number 46 though.

I'm not quite sure what the analogous comparison would be in four wheel racing as the difference between MotoGP and SBK is not very clear cut in the way that it is with say open and closed wheel racing.

Personally, I prefer the British Superbike over MotoGP, but it often feels like watching touring car in terms of coverage and driver churn.

EDIT: I think I might have misunderstood your question and you are totally familiar with WSBK... did you mean are there any other championships that use a similar set of rules regarding bike design etc.. as MotoGP or WSBK? or something completely different? I remember looking for a road racing championship after watching all the crazy antics in NI, but never found anything.

Last edited:
In real life? I suppose the World Superbike is a decent alternative. It doesn't seem to get anything like the same coverage though. Johnathan Rea has just as many championships as Lewis, but most of my mates have never heard of him; all of them know the number 46 though.

I'm not quite sure what the analogous comparison would be in four wheel racing as the difference between MotoGP and SBK is not very clear cut in the way that it is with say open and closed wheel racing.

Personally, I prefer the British Superbike over MotoGP, but it often feels like watching touring car in terms of coverage and driver churn.

EDIT: I think I might have misunderstood your question and you are totally familiar with WSBK... did you mean are there any other championships that use a similar set of rules regarding bike design etc.. as MotoGP or WSBK? or something completely different? I remember looking for a road racing championship after watching all the crazy antics in NI, but never found anything.

Thanks, that was exactly want I wanted. :)

WSBK, MotoGP, British Superbike, what is the difference between those? Only thing I noticed yet is that British Superbike has BMW while MotoGP hasn't.

Quite a bit, but in the WSK, BSB and isle of mann TT they have superstocks which in many cases uses the same engines as the road bikes.

Another thing is to see how close the MotoGP riders are in times, sometimes, many times, the last lap looks like the first lap as there will be a group of 5,8,10 riders in with a shot...

Last edited:
Both of the superbike championships are conducted on tuned versions of publicly available bikes whereas MotoGP are purpose built. Currently they all use similar engine configurations (size/stroke/cylinders etc..), but this has not always been the case. BMW have not been on the scene long since they didn't really have a suitable model until they released the S1000RR, so I guess they don't have much appetite for a completely bespoke model to compete in MotoGP.

The MotoGP bikes are slightly quicker, but not by much, I think 2-3 seconds is usually quoted. The main difference is the race format as the superbike events are usually conducted with 2 or 3 races over the weekend.

Finally, the WSBK and MotoGP are conducted on tracks all over the world, but the BSB is mostly confined to British tracks with the odd one at a neighbouring country.

EDIT: took too long writing this and didn't notice the other replies! Sorry :D

Last edited:
For race cars i often read that the engine and/or gearbox needs to be rebuild after X miles/kms. But what does 'rebuilding' actually means. I guess it's not just taking it apart and then putting it back using the same parts.

Knighthoods are rare in sport (especially motorsport), well done. Only three other living legends have this - Sir Jackie Stewart (who is LH's biggest critic for some reason), Sir Frank Williams and Sir Patrick Head.

Along with this incredible achievement is the responsibility not to abuse it. :thumbsup:

Strip down, look for unusual wearing, or free play. Usually there will be some standard parts to replace, e.g. bearings, seals, chains, belts... but many of the major parts should go back in unless they are out of tolerance. It's really an opportunity for a detailed inspection.

Do race engine manufacturer supply a rebuilding guide with the recommended tolerances or is this up to the mechanic?

Ideal race suit for Sir Lewis to put some extra weight in the Mercedes. Better BOP.

1609424327923.png

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back