2020 Formula One Abu Dhabi Grand Prix | Discussion Thread

TOONS12

@Simberia
He was 0.02 off Bottas the weekend before, 7 days later he is nearly 3 secs off Bottas.....

Like i said before Latifi could get top 5 in the Merc....

Anyway it is what it is.

I saw Hamiltons VT piece riding Rossi's 46 machine, saw another side to the guy, really warmed to him. Seems just like me he prefers the bikes!

Heard Brundle and the others slathering about MotoGP too, seems a lot of the F1 guys like and respect the bikers.

Weird this place is so anti bikes, I mean its fine, i have other outlets for that, but still seems very 4 wheel centric on here.

He was 0.02 off Bottas the weekend before, 7 days later he is nearly 3 secs off Bottas.....

Anyway it is what it is.

I saw Hamiltons VT piece riding Rossi's 46 machine, saw another side to the guy, really warmed to him. Seems just like me he prefers the bikes!

Heard Brundle and the others slathering about MotoGP too, seems a lot of the F1 guys like and respect the bikers.

Weird this place is so anti bikes, I mean its fine, i have other outlets for that, but still seems very 4 wheel centric on here.

bikes are the ultimate way to go fast, you ARE the vehicle, not just "in" it.

markg88

Premium
near Cambridge

Anyway it is what it is.

I'm a biker too and a big fan of motorcycle racing. Riders make a bigger difference than drivers do in the overall package.

GeekyDeaks

Premium
Leicestershire
As a biker I tend to be attuned to anti-bike sentiment, but I honestly can say I haven't noticed it here. Apathy maybe is closer to what I have found? It is very 4 wheel centric I agree, but I can kind of understand that from the sim perspective. Even though I'll take the bike over the car when I need to travel anywhere in real life, for sim stuff I have struggled to find anything as immersive on the 2 wheel side.

TOONS12

@Simberia
As a biker I tend to be attuned to anti-bike sentiment, but I honestly can say I haven't noticed it here. Apathy maybe is closer to what I have found? It is very 4 wheel centric I agree, but I can kind of understand that from the sim perspective. Even though I'll take the bike over the car when I need to travel anywhere in real life, for sim stuff I have struggled to find anything as immersive on the 2 wheel side.

Yep agreed.
From driving in real life to sims you are doing the same basic stuff. You can debate the accuracy of physics etc, but no debating on the very basics.
Round thing steers you, fast pedal, slow pedal....and gear stick also and clutch if needed...

With bike 'sims' its pretty poor cross over.

Vettel:
POTD-vettel-leclerc.jpg

Lewis' Fans:

760-7603932_facebook-angry-face-meme-spotify-logo-for-twitch.png

TOONS12

@Simberia
By 0.1s per lap, according to Wolff. Does that make the RB the fastest car on the grid, now?

I thought it wasn't about the car?
Surely by that logic it was Lewis and Bottas that were slower?
Can't have it both ways....

If next year RB is the fastest car i'd imagine Max will walk it... I don't think it will be though..

I thought it wasn't about the car?
Surely by that logic it was Lewis and Bottas that were slower?
Can't have it both ways....

If next year RB is the fastest car i'd imagine Max will walk it... I don't think it will be though..
Rules don't change next year so more "merc show", 2022 rules changing quote a bit I believe. But it'll take a lot for teams to compete with Merc Millions.

TOONS12

@Simberia
Do racing point get the 2020 Merc next season, they were basically in the 2019 in 2020.
If so i expect Vettel to be at the sharp end again.

Do racing point get the 2020 Merc next season, they were basically in the 2019 in 2020.
If so i expect Vettel to be at the sharp end again.
was it the chassis as well? I looked into it and there was controversy over the brake ducts being too similar to Mercs. The chassis is called something else from the Mercs, but I have no idea if that's the norm for customer cars. Thing is with vettel is I think he's as skilled as Lewis in the driving department but Lewis destroys him mentally.

TOONS12

@Simberia
was it the chassis as well? I looked into it and there was controversy over the brake ducts being too similar to Mercs. The chassis is called something else from the Mercs, but I have no idea if that's the norm for customer cars. Thing is with vettel is I think he's as skilled as Lewis in the driving department but Lewis destroys him mentally.

Maybe, but Lewis pre Merc dominance used to destroy himself mentally, i mean he still does if it doesn't go his way.
Obviously if you are in a dominant car wining stuff breaking records you are in a position to mentally dominate some, especially if they are in a bad situation themselves ...

For example during Vettels dominant years Lewis was destroyed.

Hence his 2013 rants about F1 being boring and Red Bull having the best car etc....

Vettel strikes me as the guy who seems the most down to earth about what they actually do and has a nice humour and doesn't take it all too seriously.
I think he will be in a great place next year....

Well, if we have a world left that is..

Maybe, but Lewis pre Merc dominance used to destroy himself mentally, i mean he still does if it doesn't go his way.
Obviously if you are in a dominant car wining stuff breaking records you are in a position to mentally dominate some, especially if they are in a bad situation themselves ...

For example during Vettels dominant years Lewis was destroyed.

Hence his 2013 rants about F1 being boring and Red Bull having the best car etc....

Vettel strikes me as the guy who seems the most down to earth about what they actually do and has a nice humour and doesn't take it all too seriously.
I think he will be in a great place next year....

Well, if we have a world left that is..

Caveat...When Vettel destroyed Lewis, Lewis was in a worse car, in '17 and '18 the Ferrari was at times better than the Merc. Vettel made stupid unforced errors if my memeory serves correctly. I just feel he's very UN germanic in temprement.

Yep agreed.
From driving in real life to sims you are doing the same basic stuff. You can debate the accuracy of physics etc, but no debating on the very basics.
Round thing steers you, fast pedal, slow pedal....and gear stick also and clutch if needed...

With bike 'sims' its pretty poor cross over.

Off topic question, but is there an alternative to MotoGP or are there other superbike championships?

GeekyDeaks

Premium
Leicestershire
Off topic question, but is there an alternative to MotoGP or are there other superbike championships?
In real life? I suppose the World Superbike is a decent alternative. It doesn't seem to get anything like the same coverage though. Johnathan Rea has just as many championships as Lewis, but most of my mates have never heard of him; all of them know the number 46 though.

I'm not quite sure what the analogous comparison would be in four wheel racing as the difference between MotoGP and SBK is not very clear cut in the way that it is with say open and closed wheel racing.

Personally, I prefer the British Superbike over MotoGP, but it often feels like watching touring car in terms of coverage and driver churn.

EDIT: I think I might have misunderstood your question and you are totally familiar with WSBK... did you mean are there any other championships that use a similar set of rules regarding bike design etc.. as MotoGP or WSBK? or something completely different? I remember looking for a road racing championship after watching all the crazy antics in NI, but never found anything.

Last edited:
In real life? I suppose the World Superbike is a decent alternative. It doesn't seem to get anything like the same coverage though. Johnathan Rea has just as many championships as Lewis, but most of my mates have never heard of him; all of them know the number 46 though.

I'm not quite sure what the analogous comparison would be in four wheel racing as the difference between MotoGP and SBK is not very clear cut in the way that it is with say open and closed wheel racing.

Personally, I prefer the British Superbike over MotoGP, but it often feels like watching touring car in terms of coverage and driver churn.

EDIT: I think I might have misunderstood your question and you are totally familiar with WSBK... did you mean are there any other championships that use a similar set of rules regarding bike design etc.. as MotoGP or WSBK? or something completely different? I remember looking for a road racing championship after watching all the crazy antics in NI, but never found anything.

Thanks, that was exactly want I wanted. :)

WSBK, MotoGP, British Superbike, what is the difference between those? Only thing I noticed yet is that British Superbike has BMW while MotoGP hasn't.