Alright when was that again.....?

I would love to say I feel the same about F1 as I did when I was a kid. I got into it when Andretti won the championship and they were running at Long Beach ( I lived Long Beach adjacent and when the wind was blowing in the right direction you could hear the cars...from about 10 miles away).

What I forget about those days was that there were a few good cars/drivers but the majority of the field sucked. Anyone remember Hector Rebaque and his re-branded Lotus 79? How about the Shadows, Wolf and ATS teams? At the time I started watching I got to see Williams go from a small team to one of the most successful teams in F1 history. I watched teams such as Brabham and Ligier fall from prominence and then ultimately fail. I saw ground effects allow cars to go through the Queens Hairpin at unheard of speeds and watch the banning of those effects slow the cars down.

How about Renault bringing turbo's into F1 and making themselves the laughing stock of F1 because they were quick but would break if someone sneezed in their direction. Until this little guy named Prost nearly beat Alan Jones at Vegas. Derek Daly in an Ensign (another team that bought old Lotuses). Who knew that clothes designer that sponsored Tyrell would end up taking over the crappy Toleman team, developing a young German driver and owning the sport a decade later? Toleman? A Champion team?

Remember the speed, the smell, the absolute scream of the Cosworth's, Ferrari's and Alfa's? The drivers who would drink and party all night and then jump into a car and careen through a rough street circuit at insane speeds for a few hours on Sunday?

That was my introduction to F1.

Years later it seems that F1 is sterile and lacking the characters of my youth. Very few of the drivers participate in other forms of racing unless they retire from F1 or are let go. When was the last time a current F1 raced at Indy before Alonso? Andretti used to do it all the time.

But I also realize a few things:

Back then Indy was nearly as popular as F1 and many top drivers were in that series. The cars were, while not equal, more equal than they are today. Indy is catching up but they have a ways to go.

We still have those crappy little shoe-string teams like Rebaque's, ATS, Toleman, they just have better branding. Anyone give Alfa a chance to win this year? The dominant teams of my time are either on the ropes (Williams) or relegated to mid-field status (McLaren, my favorite team since Watson did his little twist going through the chicane on Pine at Long Beach). Merc was not even providing engines when I was younger, now they own the sport.

It became somewhat sterile and boring to me.

Then...

The power unit used today, while not a screamer, has it's own unique sound that I am liking more and more.

Yeah, Merc has dominated lately but look at Ferrari with Schumacher, RBR with Vettel, etc...There will always be a dominant team. Always has been. Yet, I do not remember a small team taking control like Brawn did with Button. I know it happened but that was before my time.

Today my team is on the up-slope. We have had the honor(?) of watching one of history's greatest F1 drivers do his work. We now have drivers like Verstappen, Norris, Sainz that offer us hope for our teams. Verstappen is a demon who if he can reign in some of his energy can rule the sport. Norris, in the past two races, has shown what he can do and Sainz was not given the Ferrari ride because they think he is sexy. Hell, LeClerc could own the sport like Hamilton if Ferrari can pull their heads out of their backside ( Which as one who has never been a fan of anything Ferrari I hope they do not and LeClerc goes to McLaren!).

TLDR: Different tech but same story. I am just old and think my time was better.

Though...those Tilkedromes must go. Now! Bring back the real Hockenheim!

Imagine that. A Brit disliking a German. :D

And no-one questions the reasoning, the whys or wherefores.....except when it comes to Hamilton, why does he need special treatment?

He's disliked by many, people need to get over it. In fact it NORMAL he's disliked.

Marc Marquez get's booed at some bike GPs, if anyone's a GOAT at their sport it's him, he does things on that Honda that no-one else can match. Last year it was a dog of a bike, yet he still dragged it kicking and screaming to the championship. Guess what, I don't like him because I'm a Rossi fan. Success is equally relevant to how much someone is disliked to how much someone is liked.

...just continue without those who give a damn about lives and safety. That will teach them.
That's pretty much the whole damn earth right now.. Everything seems normal, I mean the people around me and in the news.

The virus is gaining momentum everyday, and people still held elections, opened up everything... I guess I can't blame those who will die of hunger if they don't go out. But still... Those that can be postponed still continued for the sake of $$$...

I would love to say I feel the same about F1 as I did when I was a kid. I got into it when Andretti won the championship and they were running at Long Beach ( I lived Long Beach adjacent and when the wind was blowing in the right direction you could hear the cars...from about 10 miles away).

What I forget about those days was that there were a few good cars/drivers but the majority of the field sucked. Anyone remember Hector Rebaque and his re-branded Lotus 79? How about the Shadows, Wolf and ATS teams? At the time I started watching I got to see Williams go from a small team to one of the most successful teams in F1 history. I watched teams such as Brabham and Ligier fall from prominence and then ultimately fail. I saw ground effects allow cars to go through the Queens Hairpin at unheard of speeds and watch the banning of those effects slow the cars down.

I really liked it when there were these low-budget, sort of weird teams in F1. That's one of the things that I miss now. Today, even the worst team on the grid has a nine figure budget. In 1989, there were teams like Rial, Onyx (who could have been good if the owners had not messed it up), AGS, Coloni, Eurobrun, etc. Sure, you could say that they did not serve any purpose except waste space in the paddock, but I thought they brought something to F1. The contrast between the top teams and these small outfits was fascinating, it truly was David vs Goliath.

Sometimes I'm really just forcing myself to watch it.

I mean let's be honest, today, for example, we're past FP1 and FP2 at the Hungaroring in 2020 - and based on the times, we KNOW Hamilton is miles ahead in the dry - and will probably be twice as many miles ahead if it rains...

I certainly won't be watching a Race, because there's an interesting fight for who Wins... (Which is why people Race in the first place, right!?...)

Have mercy for a miserable Ferrari fan. :(
Plenty mercy here, Ferrari fan aswell. How the **** can you make a car 1 sec SLOWER than last year? Did the cheating cost them that much?
Time to do it the Italian way - fire the whole bunch and start over. I suggest you start with the management, driver(s), aero- and engine department. Might aswell throw in the suspension department for good measure.

And no-one questions the reasoning, the whys or wherefores.....except when it comes to Hamilton, why does he need special treatment?

He's disliked by many, people need to get over it. In fact it NORMAL he's disliked.

Marc Marquez get's booed at some bike GPs, if anyone's a GOAT at their sport it's him, he does things on that Honda that no-one else can match. Last year it was a dog of a bike, yet he still dragged it kicking and screaming to the championship. Guess what, I don't like him because I'm a Rossi fan. Success is equally relevant to how much someone is disliked to how much someone is liked.

Respect relies on more than just results. Unfortunately, those two character traits that you used in your fictional quote above ring true when it comes to Hamilton; he is arrogant and he is a sore loser. For some people, their dislike of his character is enough to outweigh their acknowledgement of his talent.
The same is true of many other drivers too, though.
Agree, to some point
I really don't think he's like the worst sore loser in today's F1
There are many who simply can't let anyone pass cause their ego don't allow them to do so
Namely Max, Magnussen and Perez being the worst in my opinion. And that's just in today's F1.
Was Senna a sore loser ? I actually think he was. He was fast and great in overtakes but couldn't allow to be passed. And in many situations he did things he would be heavily punished for his acts - today.

Sometimes I'm really just forcing myself to watch it.

I mean let's be honest, today, for example, we're past FP1 and FP2 at the Hungaroring in 2020 - and based on the times, we KNOW Hamilton is miles ahead in the dry - and will probably be twice as many miles ahead if it rains...

I certainly won't be watching a Race, because there's an interesting fight for who Wins... (Which is why people Race in the first place, right!?...)

OK Mercedes are a given, we know that, and especially Hamilton, but the trick is to forget about them and concentrate on the actual interesting developments in the rest of the field. I mean Ferrari is now very midfield and Mclaren is looking like it's very much the third team in the pecking order.

F1 has pretty much always had a dominant team, but the interest almost always lies with the "not dominant" teams.

I'll be watching, not to see the Mercs win - that's boring, but to see the developments within the upper and the mid field.

While I still follow F1 closely, and watch most races (except Abu Dhabi) for me F1 has been lost in space for quite a while. Everyone blames Hamilton & Merc's dominance, yet that's now been locked in by the engine regs for at least another 4 years. I blame the poor personalities (Hamilton & Vettel are definitely guilty here), and the worlds worst tv production with the muted car sounds (even in the latter V8 years) and the long lens shots which make the cars look so slow! The current cars are not very exciting, but they are an awful lot better than how they are usually portrayed on tv. We also need more Verstappen's (though he's a bit arrogant and grumpy) and definitely more like Ricciardo, and some more Crofty type presenters too.

It's the pinnacle of motorsport. The fastest cars and the best drivers, pushing it to the absolute limit. It has flaws as does every other sport, but I love the constant evolution and the promising young roster. Looking forward to the start of a new era in 2022.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back