Alright when was that again.....?

It still makes me wonder why people don't see the difference between something being inspired by other ideas and something being 1:1 copies to the nanometer that require data transfere and something being simply corrupt. There was something called spygate a couple of years ago and Ferrari and McLaren payed a high price for it. Now we have a similar situation and one (or two?) team(s) get basicly away with it losing a few points and one time pocket money for little Lance while still being able to use a technical solution that is deemed illegal for the upcomming races. Doesn't make any sense to me. I hope people are also aware that the current team boss of the Mercedes F1 team has invested into Aston Martin as a shareholder, wich will be in one year what Tracing Point is right now. Wierd coincidence, isn't it?

Ferrari was often called out to be the main cheating team and everybody was whining that they weren't penalized last year. Now it's clear that they currently pay the price for it as they are so much down on power that it will make their engines unattractive for years to come and put them into the midfield up to a point where they weren't since the early 90s. On the other hand we have Mercedes and their B-team expanding the Formula Mercedes that we currently have getting even more advantages and people seem to be fine with it, that private teams that allready struggle are first of all dependend on those big manufacturers to be somewhat competetive yet they have even smaller chances of getting into the points to score some needed points for financial returns.

End result: if you want to see fair and interesting motor racing basicly every team should get their ass up and start an appeal asap. Moto GP shows that it is possible to get interesting motorsport between big manufacturers, b-teams, and backmarkers while keeping a fair playingfield and still offering interesting options for big manufactuers. F1 is just five years late and it shows big time. :)
You obviously didn't get my meaning the first time, so let me ask you one quick question: Does all of what you wrote really matter?
Stealing other people's intellectual property is something that has always been done in Formula One. (Do you remember when McLaren was fined $100 million for trying to steal stuff from Ferrari in 2007? That's the Spygate you mentioned, and what happened today, or rather yesterday, pales in comparison to that one.) The only thing Racing Point can be accused of is that they've been way too blatant about it. If they really had the original drafts and plans for the parts from Mercedes which were now found objectionable, it's not okay, and the fine and loss of constructors' points is the only correct thing to do. The thing that bugs me is the fact that so many people make such a fuss about it. Compared to things that happened in the past, what's happening now is extremely lame and not worth the noise so many people make now. Things were way worse in the past.
So, yeah, Racing Point has cheated. So what? I'm fairly certain that, given half the chance, all other teams would do the exact same thing. Even Renault. (Just look at what happened during the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix. As much as I like Fernando Alonso, that victory was not okay, nor was the way it came to pass.) So when people act like they're the only voice of righteousness, like so many people in F1 and its fan scene now seem to do, it sounds an awful lot like self-righteousness.
Racing Point has lost points. And that's about all that happened. Mercedes will still win the championship, Hamilton will still win his seventh title, nobody else will stand a chance to stop them from achieving this. Races are still boring as f**k, despite DRS, because the numerous race courses created by Hermann Tilke just don't allow for lots of overtakes. And the new ruleset which might have made races more interesting was postponed to 2022 because of Covid-19.
These are things that are way more interesting than the fact that a mid-field team was stupid enough to let themselves be caught cheating by the powers-that-be.

Last edited:
I love how many people missing the point, it's not about copying! RP front brake ducts are also copy of 2019 Mercedes but they are ok! rear ducts are also copy of mercedes but why only the rear are the problem? well, because RP was using the Front ducts made on Mercedes CAD source(which was allowed for 2019 season) on their 2019 car and build their 2019 car using it, so for the 2020, the design of front duct is considered their own! but they didn't use Rear ducts based on 2019 Merc during 2019 (they were using their own) then suddenly added it to their 2020 car, that's the issue! even one race with those at 2019 could make them ok with minor modification.

Also it is not breach of Technical regs, it's sporting regs, so the ducts are legal, car is still legal. they are and will be paying the price for how they made it.

comparing it with the spygate is just hilarious as sharing data on Brake ducts and lots of other parts was legal on 2019 but the act of that team involved in spygate was never legal in any point and it was actually a crime.
AlfaRomeo+Haas+Alphatauri copied some "now listed part" using the direct CAD souces from their friends ( :D ) and they are using copies on their 2020 cars, but the only difference is that they use them at least once during the 2019 season to make it a part of their 2019 car to be evolved to their 2020 cars.

Last edited:
You must of watched a different race to me then...or are you talking about 2 leading cars getting punctures? Hmmm, yeah that is normal...

If the Mercs were about as good as the Red Bull it would be amazing...

What we actually get is class A with 2 cars...then class b where it is exciting....then class z Alfa , williams...

I didn't respond on the last 2 laps for this. Somebody posted, the first 52 (?) were boring (like very boring). Another respond that you have to watch the midfield. I said: Not last week. Because not much happened. Most of the midfield was seperated.

This weekend has a good forecast. Because of the temperatures and the softer tyres, compared to last week.

Last edited:
It's interesting that the Hulk can come back in a pretty good car and be top 5 fastest on many practice sessions straight away...

Yet Bradl gets onto Marc Marquez honda and is at the bottom of the timing sheets in practice in MotoGP.....

I know no one cares about 2 wheels on here...but if you are looking for a sport where its about the pilot, this is the sport...

It's interesting that the Hulk can come back in a pretty good car and be top 5 fastest on many practice sessions straight away...

Yet Bradl gets onto Marc Marquez honda and is at the bottom of the timing sheets in practice in MotoGP.....

I know no one cares about 2 wheels on here...but if you are looking for a sport where its about the pilot, this is the sport...

Didn't he have a broken arm?

Marc can't race, so a guy called Bradl (who was previously GP rider) takes his place, yet is bottom of the timing sheets...

Hulk steps in and in top 5 fastest in practice... in what is possibly last years Merc...

Just shows what difference Marc makes to that Honda to be the champion.....

Not sure the same could be said in F1....

If Renault or whoever pursue this copy issue, it could get a whole lot more expensive.
See what I mean?

I find it ironic that Ferrari are one of the teams getting involved in this appeal, given their cushy deal with the FIA regarding their own bloody cheating. :rolleyes:

I also hate it when team principles say things like:
Zak Brown said:
That is confusing for the fans, how something that is not legal in Austria is still on the car.
Yeah, because we're all too stupid to read the statement from the FIA and understand that they deem the penalty sufficient to cover the use of the rear ducts for the rest of the season. Thank you Mr Brown for starting this lengthy legal process for the benefit of us idiots. :O_o:

The real reason for this appeal isn't anything so noble. It's because there is a chance that RP get more penalties, get forced to remove the ducts, or get forced to use a different car next season. That means one less potential rival for the crap Ferrari, the upcoming McLaren, and the mediocre Renault. Way to go lads, that's true sportsmanship right there. Great example to set... do your winning off the track, because you can't win on it.

Do I think RP should have gotten away scot-free? Nope, but they've had their penalty and it's time to move on. Getting bogged down in yet another worthless off-track argument is no good for the sport OR the fans. It's just boring.

I think this is very unfair and RP definitely need to appeal, they had the ducts from Mercedes when it was a listed part, so what they're going to do not use them when they have been legally using them last season.

FFS Renault can make as much noise as they want it won't make their car faster, and every team is copying something from someone, This is really a grey area and the rules and regs, often changing.

And why didn't get noticed by the FIA inspectors beforehand , its not like were running different ducts and then copied Mercs and used them after a few races in.

I hope they get the points back

I'm going off topic here but racing cars in general vs bikes is obviously a very chalk and cheese situation.

Obviously there are variables on a bike (braking feel/materials, suspension, tyres) but in a racing car in general there are lot more variables to effect the way it performs (aero being a huge one for example). A rider is very much part of the bike and how it handles. I don't watch bike racing much but do admire their skill for sure.

That's why I never really criticise drivers if they are having a tough year in F1. Ok, the very best drivers in F1 can adapt to anything, but in most cases a driver needs to trust the machinery he has underneath him and if he doesn't then they can suffer badly.

In Ferrari's case I believe that simply the 2020 car just doesn't suit Vettel's driving style and what he want's out of the car. He makes no secret of the fact he prefers the higher downforce blown diffuser cars or his championship winning years. You can see in his driving that the car gives him no confidence at the moment, and I bet Ferrari would be unwilling to adapt the car to help him now.

When Massa switched from Ferrari to Williams, he firstly had an environment that made him feel wanted (a big plus for sure) but the car he had was simply more to what he wanted from feel, handling, style, etc. He was a much better driver as a result. That's why I'm curious to see if the Vettel/Racing Point Deal happens.

A lot of drivers shone during the F1 tyre war years in the 90's and then suffered when the control tyres were introduced (with the grooves), it was just a very different feel, some drivers liked them and others hated them (and were slow! lol).

The current generation of cars suit Lewis perfectly, whatever it is, these hybrid cars are on the money for him and he is able to extract the very best out of them. Yes of course he is very very good but in my view it's always a question of all the pieces falling into place and providing what the driver wants and Lewis has that more than anyone at the moment.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 217 14.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 154 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 149 9.9%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 115 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 216 14.4%