Alright when was that again.....?

I think that copying the others is regular and has always been done, but here we have not copied, they have had the designs directly from Mercedes and the only parts will not be the same as those of the brakes. the penalty is ridiculous then mercedes should also be penalized, Ferrari for the engine (perhaps irregular since the fia has always said it has found nothing) has been penalized this year and next year since they cannot improve it (they are not un fan ferrari), but here you use the rules as you want and this is not fair

Renault were clever with their appeal because they went after a part that was:
A. Not entirely visible and
B. Was not a listed part that they had to develop on their own last year meaning they would have already had the physical design in house or available last year.

While I say it is clever, I also think it should not be a "throw the book at them" sort of penalty. 400k is a lot of money and 15 points won't be easy to make up in a shortened season and Checo out can't help.

RPs plan to copy was never a secret and an FIA rep that they consulted should have caught this if they inquired but they all missed it. The key here by the outward appearance of the car was that RP was never trying to cheat. I believe them when they say that they were confident it was all legal and unlike other teams that have lied and hidden things, they were very open about it.

I hope they kick Renault's butt this weekend.

F1 is sort of their own worst enemy I think. The small teams have an uphill battle as it is but, on top of that, they are at risk of punishments while rule infractions at big money teams (looking at you, Ferrari) get handled with kid gloves.

If tyres don't go pop this time, there is a fair chance of the least exciting race of the season.
Was some pieces of carbon debris standing up straight between some curbstones.
Very small, but big enough make little cuts, every lap a few more.
That's why many drivers had cuts in their tires.
The fixed the cavities between the stones now, they can't get stuck anymore.
They extended another curbstone with about 30 meters.
So should be better now.

What was it now, ah yes, Last season Renault tried to game the system by automating the brake balance control thus turning it into a driver aid. As TC, ABS and SC are illegal so was this system judged to be illegal. Full marks to Racing Point for pulling them up on it.

So Renault has now decided to retaliate over some second hand old tech brake diffusers. Ok RP's car this year is a blatant copy of last years merc, and honestly the legality of it is questionable, but RP haven't exactly hidden it. Unlike Renault with the automated brake balance.

Having had business dealings with the French I unfortunately have to say this is the typical French vindictiveness that happens when they try to pull the wool over your eyes and you call them out on it.

So if Renault didn't protest this nothing would have happened?

I think this was confirmed last season when RP protested Renault's brake bias system. FIA were fully aware of the issue, but their hands are tied unless another team notices a breach of the rules. It makes me wonder why FIA bother inspecting cars and enforcing parc ferme if they can't deem cars illegal without a protest.

1596829184082.png

Ferrari wants higher penalty for RP

Edit: And McLaren also considers to join the "club"

Last edited:
In 1977, Lotus presented us with the Lotus 78 which introduced ground effect to Formula One. A little while later, ground effect cars had become the de facto standard, despite the fact that a lot of constructors didn't even fully understand the concept.
In 2009, Brawn GP introduced the BGP 001 with its the double diffuser, which was deemed illegal by most other teams at first, but eagerly copied after it was declared legal by the FIA.
Copying other team's works, that's old hat. It had always been done, it will always be done. I really don't understand what all the fuss is about. Besides, after all the hubbub about Racing Point's "Mercedes," you'd expect the car to be far superior to all its direct rivals. It isn't. Mercedes and Red Bull are still vastly superior, even McLaren, Renault (and sometimes Ferrari, if they have a really good day, or rather, if Leclerc has a really good day) will still beat the, ahem, uber car.
All this makes Renault look like a sore loser and the FIA like the usual company that either ignores a problem until it's gone away or attacks the nut with a sledgehammer.
It still makes me wonder why people don't see the difference between something being inspired by other ideas and something being 1:1 copies to the nanometer that require data transfere and something being simply corrupt. There was something called spygate a couple of years ago and Ferrari and McLaren payed a high price for it. Now we have a similar situation and one (or two?) team(s) get basicly away with it losing a few points and one time pocket money for little Lance while still being able to use a technical solution that is deemed illegal for the upcomming races. Doesn't make any sense to me. I hope people are also aware that the current team boss of the Mercedes F1 team has invested into Aston Martin as a shareholder, wich will be in one year what Tracing Point is right now. Wierd coincidence, isn't it?

Ferrari was often called out to be the main cheating team and everybody was whining that they weren't penalized last year. Now it's clear that they currently pay the price for it as they are so much down on power that it will make their engines unattractive for years to come and put them into the midfield up to a point where they weren't since the early 90s. On the other hand we have Mercedes and their B-team expanding the Formula Mercedes that we currently have getting even more advantages and people seem to be fine with it, that private teams that allready struggle are first of all dependend on those big manufacturers to be somewhat competetive yet they have even smaller chances of getting into the points to score some needed points for financial returns.

End result: if you want to see fair and interesting motor racing basicly every team should get their ass up and start an appeal asap. Moto GP shows that it is possible to get interesting motorsport between big manufacturers, b-teams, and backmarkers while keeping a fair playingfield and still offering interesting options for big manufactuers. F1 is just five years late and it shows big time. :)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 310 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 212 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 207 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 157 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 271 13.5%