2019 RD MINI Challenge | Round 4 - Oulton Park

Discussion in 'RD MINI Challenge by Extreme Simracing' started by Bram Hengeveld, Dec 17, 2018.

Added to Calendar: 02-02-19
  1. Jivesauce

Jivesauce
    Premium

Ratings:
    +17
    Well another bit of a disaster for me in Div. 2 this weekend, but I'll share my tale of embarrassment to make the other newcomers feel better about themselves :D

I turned a 1:58.9 in the pre-qualifying practice, but only got within .5 of that during qualifying before someone took out the braking marker for turn 1 and make it a bit of a challenge from there on out! I started 8th, but learned a lesson in forgetting to run a practice start at the track beforehand. I was expecting the 5 red starting lights, so as I'm staring in confusion at the one un-illuminated light that has popped on to my screen I realize my car is in neutral and I'm rolling forward... I realize my mistake and jump on the brake right as the light turns green and the spotter yells "go! go! go!" in my ear! I quickly select first and take off, but a poor start of course, and a drive-thru penalty for moving at the start :(

So I drive around my first lap and prepare to exit into the pits for my penalty but I get a poor exit from the final turn, and then as I slow to make it into the pits someone dives alongside me so I can't turn into the entrance! Not their fault of course, they had no idea what I was doing, but unfortunate. I clipped the barrier in one of the chicanes on the next lap, but no serious damage done, then I pull into the pits to serve my penalty. As I'm driving through the pits past my pit box the spotter yells, "pit now! pit now!" which startles me. I think, "am I serving a stop and go in my box instead?" So I quickly pull in and stop...at which point they refill my fuel, change my tires, and repair my car to the tune of a full minute stop...and no drive thru penalty served. I'm cursing myself at this point, do another lap on cold tires, enter the pits yet again, and serve my penalty on the last possible lap before DQ, and come out roughly 15-20 seconds away from being lapped by the leaders on lap 4, and 1:20 behind the nearest competitor.

So I just decide to try to drive a smooth race, be prepared to let the leaders by cleanly, and take advantage if anyone has any problems. There were a couple retirements so I gained some places, and I made up 40 seconds on the person in front of me, but was of course still 40 more seconds from catching them, and the leaders never caught me, though I believe Ernie was maybe two seconds behind me at the end (I hope I didn't hold you up, I was preparing to pull over and let you by when the race ended).

So, another quiet race driving around at the back and a valuable lesson in preparation and focus, and another indication that I'm a better hot-lapper than racer at this point! :D Congrats to Ernie, Paul, and everyone else. See you at Hockenheim!

• Like Like x 4
    • Beer Beer x 4
  2. Paul Glover

Paul Glover
    RaceDepartment Social Media Manager Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +825
    Would just like to point out that the stream was solid as a....

[​IMG]

• Haha Haha x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Beer Beer x 2
  3. Paul Glover

Paul Glover

Ratings:
    +825
    Not just one stream either.... also live timing.....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    • Haha Haha x 3
  4. Dave Stephenson

Dave Stephenson
    RaceDepartment Technical Administrator Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +1,302
    Results are up.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jopamir

Jopamir
    " Just KeepOnGoing " Premium

Ratings:
    +1,122
    I had a godd race, no major errors -no major pace either eheheh:p, but in the end it was a very good event w/ a great, fair and intense fight w/ @EireGreen™ (Michael Klein) till the finish line.
    Looking forward Hockenheim already!
    Congrats to the podium guys and everybody else
    ...and Ernie @Frank Lehmann and other aliens, hope you go up Div1 now and stop embarrassing (most of) us already:D:D:D Great driving really:cool:
    Cheers

[...]what happened to you @Franklin Stegink ? Two flat tires..?wt#:cautious:..

• Like Like x 2
    • Beer Beer x 1
  6. Jopamir

Jopamir
    " Just KeepOnGoing " Premium

Ratings:
    +1,122
    AMS_2019-02-02_17-12-02.jpg

• Like Like x 6
    • Beer Beer x 1
  7. Dave Stephenson

Dave Stephenson

Ratings:
    +1,302
    Standings updated but considered provisional pending possible incident reports.

• Beer Beer x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Chris Shepherd

Chris Shepherd
    Premium

Ratings:
    +55
    • Like Like x 2
    • Beer Beer x 1
  9. Alex Townsend

Alex Townsend
    Pro-Am racing driver... virtually Premium

Ratings:
    +536
    Had an absolute blast. Really close and fair racing. I wasn't close enough to some of the incidents and only saw the aftermath of two so wasn't sure if a coming together or just lapse in concentration.
    I know I had a couple of lapses... two track violations, one near the start as it was a little charged at the beginning and then later on in the race but I lifted for this one.
    All in all an awesome race and thanks to the other racers and of course the RD staff for organising.

• Like Like x 2
    • Beer Beer x 2
  10. David Mann

David Mann
    Premium

Ratings:
    +13
    I had a decent race in Div 2. I was slow, as expected, and ended up 13th. There were a couple times where someone was closely following me, and then I looked in the mirror to see the car tweedling in the grass. One time, I bobbled Turn 3 (the fast left hand sweeper) and ended up getting tapped, but I managed to keep it going generally in the right direction (Dave S. did not fare so well I think). I hope that I'm not causing accidents; I think I'm keeping it clean, if not fast, but please let me know if there's anything I can do to drive more cleanly.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Frank Lehmann

Frank Lehmann
    ... usually known as Ernie Premium

Ratings:
    +290
    All fine, Colin.:thumbsup: Your pace was good and my front tires were almost gone the last few laps.

12. Franklin Stegink

Franklin Stegink
    Premium

Ratings:
    +993
    Indeed division two.

In the first three laps two flat tires.
    Going 2 times to make a pitstop.
    After that the car very unstabble and decided to push the esc button.

Sorry guys.

• Beer Beer x 2
  13. Alex Townsend

Alex Townsend
    Pro-Am racing driver... virtually Premium

Ratings:
    +536
    Heard you say that during the race. I'm not an expert on this title but could it be pressures too high or too much curb?

14. Paul Glover

Paul Glover

Ratings:
    +825
    Guys. Turns out the bitrate used on the stream yesterday was lower than it should be, no one told me about that.... I'm not much of a streamer.

Increased for next week so the quality will be better.

• Beer Beer x 1
  15. Dave Stephenson

Dave Stephenson

Ratings:
    +1,302
    Probably of my own making if anything I think. I was carrying too much speed and didn't lift enough at the entry so had to try and ride it out. It's hard to adjust your line in there once the car is set so I just tried to make sure if the gap began to close it was me that took the hit. Another time we might have ridden it out. I haven't watched the replay but I suspect I probably dropped a wheel on the grass in there somewhere and there's no coming back from that.

16. Pappa_G_27

Pappa_G_27
    Premium

Ratings:
    +135
    Another great quali turns into a poor race. So many silly mistakes, maybe I was a bit tired from my mega hangover :D
    Anyway good fun battle late in the race at the back of the pack. Really enjoyed that.
    Now off to a track I have never raced before!!! I don't expect to qualify so well this week :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Beer Beer x 1
  17. Frank Lehmann

Frank Lehmann
    ... usually known as Ernie Premium

Ratings:
    +290
    I finally uploaded my video from the race.

Even if it was a start-finish-victory, but this was definitively not that easy as it looks. Paul in 2nd kept the pressure the entire race. I had to push all the time, and in Lap 9 i almost crashed, as i slightly touched the grass in T4. But i could save the car and luckily avoid to crash into the tirewall.
    The last 10 minutes the understeer was getting more and more worse. At the finish line my front tires were almost gone.

• Like Like x 6
    • Beer Beer x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.