2019 RD MINI Challenge | Pre-Qualification

Discussion in 'RD MINI Challenge by Extreme Simracing' started by Bram Hengeveld, Dec 18, 2018.

Added to Calendar: 10-01-19
  1. rustyjabs67

rustyjabs67
    Premium

Ratings:
    +17
    Very grateful for the comments, advice and general help...You guys are cool its a real pleasure to be part of the RD community. So without sounding like a prick, I am soo pleased to note that I am not alone when it comes to 'MINI skating at Japan' lol....The frustration has gone thanks to all...time to tame this naughty little mini!!! :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Haha Haha x 1
    • Beer Beer x 1
  2. Justin Koch

Justin Koch
    Premium

Ratings:
    +7
    SO.... not anyone can go on the server???

3. Alex Townsend

Alex Townsend
    Pro-Am racing driver... virtually Premium

Ratings:
    +529
    Isn't it just meant for people competing in the series?

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Dave Stephenson

Dave Stephenson
    RaceDepartment Technical Administrator Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +1,290
    Server is only for people competing in the league.

Results will not be updated and publicised during the event. They will be compiled and published on Friday as it says in the briefing.

5. Matt Le Gallez

Matt Le Gallez
    Shaping up a new jump here, just gonna send it! Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +452
    Can someone restart the live timing please so that the people who haven't done laps know what to aim for?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Dave Stephenson

Dave Stephenson

Ratings:
    +1,290
    No. There isn't supposed to be any.

7. Matt Le Gallez

Matt Le Gallez

Ratings:
    +452
    I know there wasn't supposed to be any but a mistake has been made and it should have been left up. Letting a few drivers know what time to aim for is a bit unfair on the people who couldn't get on the server yesterday.

8. TobiasR

TobiasR
    Czarleeese Baygio Premium

Ratings:
    +1,562
    No live timing? :/

• Like Like x 1
  9. Chris Butcher

Chris Butcher
    Red Bull Gridsters 2012 Champion Premium

Ratings:
    +356
    How come? That seems bizarre given that most leagues have provided live timing for a pre qualification. I would say it's especially important given that points (and prizes for the top 3 at the end of the season) are awarded for it too....

I don't want to start an argument on this topic, nor am I suggesting for a minute RD would do anything like this, but surely from an openness and impartiality point of view, it would be wise to show the timing? At the minute, there's no way to independently verify lap times, and it's just a case of we as the drivers have to take what the admins say as gospel. Of course times can be verified to a degree by all drivers getting together and checking (impractical given the number of drivers involved), but to be honest from my point of view, if RD staff are racing in this league, full disclosure should be the norm.

• Agree Agree x 5
  10. Frank Lehmann

Frank Lehmann
    ... usually known as Ernie Premium

Ratings:
    +255
    At least i'd like to know (perhaps updated on a daily basis), where the current cut-off time is between division 1 and 2.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Dave Stephenson

Dave Stephenson

Ratings:
    +1,290
    I could equally send whatever spurious data I wanted to the liveracers server. What would be the difference? If I shared the results files, I could also have edited those too, who would know any different. Ultimately there needs to be a level of trust.

The live timing only showed the top three drivers, and only for the current session so was essentially useless as a validation tool for you guys.

If everyone does their best effort lap, what times others have done is irrelevant. I don't see how knowing how fast other guys are will magically make you faster or slower or change the final result.

As I have always done for league events I will make server replays available.

12. Jan Larsen

Jan Larsen
    Premium

Ratings:
    +192
    Dave, the guys that know they're fast dont care about their time, but someone right at the cutoff would really like to know whether they're 3 tenths or a hundreth off. It can make a difference of how much they want to try again.
    I understand your irrelevant argument but if I'm 1,5 secs off server 1, I dont want to waste hours trying to improve a couple of tenths. However, if I'm right at the cutoff, I'll do my damnest to improve. But right now I dont know. I believe its critical information to the participants and should be released if it dosent present a massive work overload for you or whoever is in charge.

• Agree Agree x 10
  13. Chris Shepherd

Chris Shepherd
    Premium

Ratings:
    +50
    In my opinion, and this is only my opinion, you should use the live timing screen.

Having no live timing makes it advantageous towards the drivers who have lots of time on their hands.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Matt Le Gallez

Matt Le Gallez

Ratings:
    +452
    No it doesn't, it stores the fastest 3 lap times drivers have done since the server has been live. The fact that some drivers have been able to use it and others haven't should be enough for you to turn it back on.

15. Bram Hengeveld

Bram Hengeveld
    RaceDepartment Founder Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +17,777
    And that is exactly the reason why we didn't plan to use live timing. We want it be exciting from the start to the finish so if you are left in the dark the chances are high you will return for another attempt and so will your colleague drivers. I know I will later on today and this week.

Secondly and this is the most important part. We as the organizers are now 100% sure that all drivers who qualify for the league are very well prepared. Everybody will have to master their MINI to make the cut instead of leaving the preq process after doing one fast lap.

For the typical debate that has started again about full transparency (really?) what is the difference if you have all the data now or afterwards?. I really don't want to go into a transparency debate.

We wanted to make this a fun pre-qualification but it's clear that the fun has been thrown out of the door already.

16. Jan Larsen

Jan Larsen
    Premium

Ratings:
    +192
    I accept your strategic decision and will just drive the nuts off of it instead :)

And lighten up Bram, there was no intention to derail the fun, I'm still having fun, but when there's great prizes and much hype building, people start taking things a little more seriously. Even me, and I dont normally do that nowadays :)

17. Matt Le Gallez

Matt Le Gallez

Ratings:
    +452
    We wouldn't have had this debate if the live timing was just left alone once you realized you messed up by having it on in the first place. But, as i thought, i've been trying to get blood from a stone for the last few hours so i'll take it as it is! Onward and upwards! :thumbsup:

18. Chris Butcher

Chris Butcher
    Red Bull Gridsters 2012 Champion Premium

Ratings:
    +356
    @Bram Hengeveld To be honest that's my fault and not what I'm trying to imply. I don't doubt you for one second, but you are an intelligent person and I'm sure you can understand the conclusions that potentially can be drawn by people that feel aggrieved. Please don't take my post as an accusation of malpractice, it was more intended as constructive feedback and my own opinion. I don't think this situation was communicated before Pre-Q began (please correct me if I'm mistaken, but if it was, it wasn't clear), we probably wouldn't be having this discussion now if it had been.

To be clear, I understand the reasons for not having live timing, it does add an interesting dynamic. As such I hope this doesn't derail the fun, it won't stop me trying my hardest!

I'll shut up now :)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Bram Hengeveld

Bram Hengeveld
    RaceDepartment Founder Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +17,777
    No worries Chris. We don't want external live timing for a couple of reasons (legal and sportive the biggest). We could have coded live timing ourselves but we have decided to focus on other areas instead.

That liveracers page should not have been live anyway as we didn't plan to use it at all. As a matter of fact I have contacted liveracers to have our pages there removed as I don't want real names of our members listed on a third party website we have no control of.

There was also no mention of livetiming in this thread, the info thread or the briefing PM. But i can see why people want to have it, but we decided not to for this series.

• Beer Beer x 5
    • Love Love x 1
  20. BrunoMancebo

BrunoMancebo

Ratings:
    +0
    How I join to this races? I click on server password and do not see the server password. I need to register in some site área to join this race? Sorry my english i'm brazilian rsrsrs

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.