2019 Formula One German Grand Prix

What an enjoyable race that was: Verstappen spinning & winning, Mercedes crapping the bed while wearing dumb costumes, Hamilton looking ridiculous for once, Kyvat on the podium while his daughter was being born, Racing Point leading for a half a lap, Haas being Haas & banging each others' wheels (Du! Du Haas! Du Haas mich!), Natalie & Karun dancing in the rain, the crazy Dutch fans cheering almost as much for Hamilton spinning as Max winning, & of course the treacherous, slick drag strip section that sent people to their doom like it was Charybdis from Greek mythology.

More of that, please.

Guys what do you think about all this whining of some victims of turn 16?
They're complaining about the slippery run-off on the dragstrip in wet
conditions but i mean that's a bit ridiculous. Meanwhile they seem to be so
used to modern "high grip" tarmac run-offs that they appear surprised that
a mistake CAN actually cause a DNF. If it had been wet grass it wouldn't
have been any different i'm sure and a gravel trap like in Sachs Kurve
would've been even worse. You just get stuck and that's it.
And if they make such mistakes in Monaco or Singapore a wall would
end their race anyway. So i can't really understand their criticism tbh.

Completely agree. It's why it's hard for people like me who can remember pre-computer tech F1 to fully respect modern drivers. It is so much easier to drive today with all the aids, the data, the parts reliability, the forgiving run off areas, etc. You even saw Hamilton make a comment on the pre-race piece with the old Mercedes about how you don't understand how much more difficult it was to drive older cars until you get in one. Modern drivers are spoiled b/c of current tech & track layouts, plain & simple.

Completely agree. It's why it's hard for people like me who can remember pre-computer tech F1 to fully respect modern drivers. It is so much easier to drive today with all the aids, the data, the parts reliability, the forgiving run off areas, etc. You even saw Hamilton make a comment on the pre-race piece with the old Mercedes about how you don't understand how much more difficult it was to drive older cars until you get in one. Modern drivers are spoiled b/c of current tech & track layouts, plain & simple.
I respectfully disagree. Contemporary F1 cars have no ABS, no traction control and no stability control. These cars are not easy to drive one bit.

So funny people keep saying F1 is back...but...it never really left...it's just all too familiar case of one team being more powerful than all the others, and the 2nd best team just not rising to the occasion to effectively challenge them on most weekends...not a new story in F1. This nostalgia trip of people remembering only the exciting vintage races and not the dull vintage races is getting played out. Also, Spielberg and Silverstone didn't have rain...or did a little bit of water suddenly give everyone amnesia?

I didn't say they were easy. I said they were easier.

Computers were also being used in F1 since the early 80's, maybe even earlier...are we saying the likes of Senna, Prost, Piquet, Mansell, Hakinnen, Schumacher, etc are also not deserving of respect because they were privy to telemetry data?

As to it being "easier": it's a bit like saying a kidney transplant is easier than a triple bypass heart surgery...it's all intense, crazy difficult stuff in their own ways; no sense in direct comparisons. Yeah, the new cars might be "easier" to drive in terms of basic operation (semi-auto trans, more aero grip and power steering), but with that extra downforce they're going through corners faster, thus pulling way more G's way more often than past drivers too. To put it in perspective, the average fighter pilot isn't pulling those kind of G's (after doing it for 4 previous sessions over the past 2 days) for the majority of over 90+ mins straight unless they're in a dogfight doing ACM's, which isn't a typical mission.

Also, although the cars might not sound it, these current engines are still producing the same level of horsepower as those wailing banshees called the V10 early 2000's F1 machines did (and more HP than a few different eras of F1)...and again, with no TC like the V10's had. The notion people keep putting forward that "anyone could do" what modern drivers do is quite insulting to them.

Reactions: NDG
i may be wrong but I think Mercedes lost on porpusly , they know that the circus is loosing money bcs been so boring . .

I agree, you are wrong. Nobody in F1 is losing anything on purpose... and if for some unfathomable reason they did decide to lose on purpose; they certainly wouldn't do it by having both of their drivers run into the wall.

As conspiracy theories go, this is an exceptionally bad one.

Computers were also being used in F1 since the early 80's, maybe even earlier...are we saying the likes of Senna, Prost, Piquet, Mansell, Hakinnen, Schumacher, etc are also not deserving of respect because they were privy to telemetry data?

As to it being "easier": it's a bit like saying a kidney transplant is easier than a triple bypass heart surgery...it's all intense, crazy difficult stuff in their own ways; no sense in direct comparisons. Yeah, the new cars might be "easier" to drive in terms of basic operation (semi-auto trans, more aero grip and power steering), but with that extra downforce they're going through corners faster, thus pulling way more G's way more often than past drivers too. To put it in perspective, the average fighter pilot isn't pulling those kind of G's (after doing it for 4 previous sessions over the past 2 days) for the majority of over 90+ mins straight unless they're in a dogfight doing ACM's, which isn't a typical mission.

Also, although the cars might not sound it, these current engines are still producing the same level of horsepower as those wailing banshees called the V10 early 2000's F1 machines did (and more HP than a few different eras of F1)...and again, with no TC like the V10's had. The notion people keep putting forward that "anyone could do" what modern drivers do is quite insulting to them.

Yes, it is a bit like saying a kidney transplant is easier than a triple bypass b/c that's what I'm doing- comparing two highly skilled data sets or tasks but not judging them equal. Or instead of a surgery analogy you could imply modern drivers have it easier than older drivers like I did b/c the implication is that modern drivers have it easier not that they are unskilled or have it easy.

And I certainly didn't imply that "anyone could do it." Well, I mean I could probably do it & most of y'all couldn't but that's a different story (I kid! I kid! Come on lighten up, people!)

OK. Easier not easy, still I don't understand why you cannot have respect for modern drivers. I do have respect for them. I am not nearly as fast them even in a sim racing context. I cannot match their lap times. I think that all of them are fantastic athletes in their own rights.

Again, not what I said. I said they don't get my full respect. Let me put it another way- I respect modern drivers less than older drivers. Not that I don't respect them or that I don't highly respect them, I just respect them less than older drivers. It will be nearly impossible for me to respect somebody more than people who drove in eras with cars once described as "bathtubs loaded with fuel."

Last edited:

I think the opposite is true. To drive them at the top level, they are much more difficult to drive. There really aren't many driving aids on a modern F1 car, beyond the transmission and power steering. If anything the computers and even the reliability make it more difficult; along with the increased speeds.

Drivers today don't use the advanced technology/computers/telemetry as a luxury, it's now a necessity to do their job at the top level. If they don't take advantage, their opponents will. Not only do drivers have to master the control of the car, they also need to master the more advanced systems. And they have to do so under greater physical forces then they previously did. Even when they aren't in the cockpit, they have additional new challenges in studying and analyzing the metrics they get from their team and using that to improve their performance(this existed 20 years ago, but it was far more limited).

It's undoubtedly far safer now due to the advances in equipment and tracks, but I doubt see how adding systems has made it easier.

Last edited:
I think their issue may be that
Err late 80s early 90s F1 cars did have driver aids...

Flogs,stop voting for Verstappen after the race,keeps going up.

Humans lol.

Saw this cool video with Lando rocking the Logitech wheel,pretty awesome,my g27 is the Led Zep,Beatles of sim wheels,never say die.

If you go back & re-read the post more carefully this time I bet you can find a clue that will help you figure out what eras I am actually referring to. Hint: it's in the second sentence. Godspeed.
So you're referring to early 80s yes? Because if your profile is correct you aren't old enough to remember much earlier

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 314 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 216 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 213 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 157 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 273 13.4%