They ruined what was a really enjoyable race. If Lewis got the overtake it would've been the greatest drive of his career. 30 laps with LH in his mirrors would mark it as one of Sebs finest too. Maybe even reignited his fire.

And instead Seb binned it and rejoined in a manner that forced another drive to take avoiding action.

Seb made a mistake, he left the track. He sacrificed track position. He no longer had a right to the racing line and when rejoining, as Hamilton said in the podium room, you're not supposed to head straight back to the racing line.

And Seb's excuse? Couldn't help it, what was I supposed to do?

Lift, Seb. Might have been a bit easier to control the car had you not had the loud pedal flat.

And instead Seb binned it and rejoined in a manner that forced another drive to take avoiding action.

Seb made a mistake, he left the track. He sacrificed track position. He no longer had a right to the racing line and when rejoining, as Hamilton said in the podium room, you're not supposed to head straight back to the racing line.

Lift, Seb. Might have been a bit easier to control the car had you not had the loud pedal flat.

Oh absolutely.

He also could've pulled a 5 second gap....

No I don't. I share the same idea towards anybody as I only care for the race, not the artificial BS or fanboyism on the side.
No? i said we are consistent about penalties no matter who targeted here and you said no? it should be a yes!
please read my post again, i was talking about user's stance(the stance was not agreeing with penalty!) that is the same ! not the FIA stance!

Last edited:
I am so ****ing angry. Vettel clearly had no chance to do anything else, he didnt go so wide on purpose. You can even see that he doesnt look in the mirror, how is he supposed to go wide on purpose??? Its a stupid call from the Stewards, Hamilton didnt even loose time by Vettel mistake. And it was Vettels first aggressive move in the whole season, why does he get such a penalty? The FIA is ruining the sport like that.....

It wouldn't surprise me that the stewards had evidence that Sebastian was on the throttle while still on the grass, and they felt that was unsafe. In other words if he would have been off the throttle he could have controlled the car better and reentered the track in a safer position (and likely to lose the position).

It sucked that that we had the decision. Don't think that Hamilton would have gotten by since he kept locking up going into the hairpin, Unfortunately we will never know :p

@wajdl that incident looks almost identical. There should have been a penalty there too.

I don't know if anyone else was listening to the BBC 5live commentary but Jolyon Palmer, who it turns out is an excellent commentator said he'd have done exactly what Seb would have done. Anyone would.

But he would expect an investigation too.

I am so ****ing angry. Vettel clearly had no chance to do anything else.

He could have lifted. It wasn't just the track position, he kept his foot down. If he'd lifted he'd have been able to stay narrow and off the racing line. He chose not to.

It wouldn't surprise me that the stewards had evidence that Sebastian was on the throttle while still on the grass, and they felt that was unsafe. In other words if he would have been off the throttle he could have controlled the car better and reentered the track in a safer position (and likely to lose the position).

It sucked that that we had the decision. Don't think that Hamilton would have gotten by since he kept locking up going into the hairpin, Unfortunately we will never know :p

I'd also bet they had information on how hard Lewis had to brake...

Hamilton didnt even loose time by Vettel mistake.

Last time I tried it, braking hard in an acceleration zone when trying to avoid a slower car lost me time.

Obviously Hamilton is among the best, but I'd be surprised if he got away without losing time.

well i say it was not possible, never , specially with his entry to the main straights , locking up always

Last time I tried it, braking hard in an acceleration zone when trying to avoid a slower car lost me time.

Obviously Hamilton is among the best, but I'd be surprised if he got away without losing time.
Ok, maybe he lost 0.300 or even half a second, still no reason to hand out a 5 second time penalty. Clearly not on purpose

Ok, maybe he lost 0.300 or even half a second, still no reason to hand out a 5 second time penalty. Clearly not on purpose

But neither did he make a mistake or rejoin the track in a manner that forced another driver to take evasive action.

The point is, if he had not been blocked, he would have got past.

Unsafe return to the track has a penalty, it's been given out may times before, just on this occasion its a very high profile driver on the receiving end.

It was a shame as Ferrari and Vettel deserved the win but he did not return to the track safely. Real shame when a penalty affects a race result but rules are there for all the drivers safety, we can't pick and choose when to apply them, it has to be consistent.

Bring back gravel traps, then going off the track would have a built in penalty.

From Andrew Benson, BBC
Andrew Benson said:
Stewards "reviewed video evidence and determined that Car 5 left the track at turn 3, rejoined the track at turn 4 in an unsafe manner and forced car 44 off track. Car 44 had to take evasive action to avoid a collision. Competitors are reminded that they have the right to appeal"

The relevant rules are in Chapter 5 of the sporting code. 2b) "manoeuvers liable to hinder other drivers, such as deliberate crowding of a car beyond the edge of the track or any other abnormal change of direction, are strictly prohibited."

2c) Should a car leave the track for any reason, and without prejudice to 2(d) below, the driver may re-enter the track. However, this may only be done when it is safe to do so and without gaining any advantage.

and possibly: 2e) It is not permitted to drive any car unnecessarily slowly, erratically or in a manner deemed potentially dangerous to other drivers at any time.

Be interesting to see if they do appeal

Actually more on what Jolyon Palmer was saying. Actually the whole broadcast and banter between him and Jack Nicholls was really entertaining.

Palmer said he'd have done it without even thinking about it. Because if he didn't, he'd definitely lose the race. Hamilton would be past and gone.

So you do it. You block. Because that way you MIGHT get away with it and hang on to the win.

Sadly for Seb, and probably for F1, this time, he didn't.

Last edited:
Blocking like that is cheating. If you make a mistake, grow up and take it on the chin. Give the place up and go about starting to try and win it back fairly.
This is a very rare victory for fair play, although I actually feel cheats should be punished (and be seen to be punished) way more harshly than than they ever are.

Guys what exactly happened to lando? i mean i saw his right rear on fire but it was just because of that little curb surfing? :confused:

Blocking like that is cheating. If you make a mistake, grow up and take it on the chin. Give the place up and go about starting to try and win it back fairly.
This is a very rare victory for fair play, although I actually feel cheats should be punished (and be seen to be punished) way more harshly than than they ever are.

Actually I agree with Jolyon Palmer on this. You do block. Because that's your only chance of winning. That's just a competitive human trait.

I agree he has to grow up and take it on the chin though - the penalty that is.

The old 'hot head' Seb was back today.

It was great entertainment though. One way or another, F1 got its show.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back