2018 RD Touring Car Championship (R3E)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,
despite my anticipation to drive the Nordschleife, I will not be able to participate. Yesterday, my wife gave birth to our first baby daughter! She was initially due on April 1st and I thought I'd be able to finish the season, but fate decided otherwise.
As those of you with children undoubtedly know, I'll probably be exhausted already by Sunday and in no way able to concentrate for the most difficult track in the world.
Best of luck to all the drivers and have fun!
Congrats!

Yes, but it's now Thursday so people will have been practising the regular Nords variant.
I don't think that the GP track is the big issue here :rolleyes:

I don't think that the GP track is the big issue here :rolleyes:
I think the fact people have been practising a different variant all week is absolutely the issue. I haven't practised yet so it doesn't bother me, but it's not fair on the people that have since the change was announced days ago.

A honest question with an initial opinion.

Changing the track layout was mistake, but then it pours a question to you guys in the staff position:

We know that it was a surprise to all that the timing issue was a problem, but.

Did you guys contact the devs to ask if they were aware of such issue and if a fix was being worked out to be deployed in time and if so did they made you guys aware that the patch was going to be deployed yesterday or it was the contrary and made you guys play safe and then change the layout?

Because if it's the former then the ball was dropped big time and who got in the worst end was us drivers. Well IMO I'm not really caring into the layout change because I'm going with 0.1% practice done (I only did a lap with Ferdinand's setup just to get used with it but not more than that) and knowing that this race will be a destruction derby of big proportions (more related to the track length rather than car destroyed per se).

And I'm with Tobi on this one, track is not the big issue, adding either the VLN or the 24hs layout won't change a thing on setups or driver's pace, but then it will influence on race strategy (fuel usage and blah blah blah), which a quick rundown would solve this problem.

But then you guys are running the show, we'll just make due with what we have and are given.

Speaking of fuel, just a heads up. I've done a full race against the AI earlier this week and the race lasted 10 laps. If I remember correctly, I crossed the line with about 2 mins left on the timer after doing a reasonable pace and using DRS on a couole of laps until after the stops, so unless the leader is ungodly fast (which might be the case...), you'll all have to do 10 laps. Now with that many laps, I crossed the line literally on fumes with 0.1L on the display and the car sputtering. In fact, the car completely stopped after the 1st turn, unable to continue on the programmed AI lap. I'm sure it's possible to do a bit more fuel saving during the race and unfortunately didn't have the chance torun another test race, but keep it in mind to save fuel by cruising, or add a bit of fuel during your pit stop (5L added only about 6-7 seconds to my stop but if that's peace of mind then it might be worth it).
I think I did 7 laps on the 24h layout and finished with just under 2L of fuel, FYI.
And if you haven't tried pitstops on the regular Nords, the pits are a giant pain in the ass, they're way too small. Anyway, thought I'd warn you for Sunday. Looking forward to watching the race on Twitch!
And thank you all for the congratulations for my first baby! Everything is going great, both mom and baby are well!

A honest question with an initial opinion.

Changing the track layout was mistake, but then it pours a question to you guys in the staff position:

We know that it was a surprise to all that the timing issue was a problem, but.

Did you guys contact the devs to ask if they were aware of such issue and if a fix was being worked out to be deployed in time and if so did they made you guys aware that the patch was going to be deployed yesterday or it was the contrary and made you guys play safe and then change the layout?

Because if it's the former then the ball was dropped big time and who got in the worst end was us drivers. Well IMO I'm not really caring into the layout change because I'm going with 0.1% practice done (I only did a lap with Ferdinand's setup just to get used with it but not more than that) and knowing that this race will be a destruction derby of big proportions (more related to the track length rather than car destroyed per se).

And I'm with Tobi on this one, track is not the big issue, adding either the VLN or the 24hs layout won't change a thing on setups or driver's pace, but then it will influence on race strategy (fuel usage and blah blah blah), which a quick rundown would solve this problem.

But then you guys are running the show, we'll just make due with what we have and are given.

We made the decision based on the info available at the time, which is all anyone can do. We are not S3 and therefore are not privvy to patch content or release dates, nor will any dev give us this information. Even if they did, how often does a patch miss it's stated release date, or not manage to fix an issue as was intended? All the time. So it was a pretty obvious and elementary decision to switch to a track we know 100% works so that everyone can be prepared, and so that we're not springing last minute changes on everyone on race night.

For the record, I also think you're making a big deal out of nothing. Cutting a tiny percentage of the overall track length from this event is going to make almost no difference whatsoever.

• Deleted member 387850

The track choice doesn’t really bother me either way. At the end of the day, if you’re able to find your way around the Nordschleife you can probably manage the extra few turns of the Nürburgring. But I think making a decision early and sticking to it is the correct thing to do.

My only concern is the potential for disaster with a large grid heading into the first few turns at Nordschleife. The 24hr layout at least allows the grid to string out and settle in before tackling Nords proper. I ran a couple of AI races on the Nordschleife layout and it highlighted the potential problems. If someone crashes or spins they can block the entire track. You can end up with a complete log jam with the car causing it unable to move and a massive gap opening up in the field. It would be very frustrating to have your race ruined in such a way, and whilst it could happen at any stage of the race I think we all know the first few turns will be the most precarious.

That said, I respect whatever decision is (or has been) made and I’m thoroughly looking forward to the race. Just hope I can qualify better than I’ve been able to in the past and if there is an incident I don’t end up the stopper in the bottle :D

Stay tuned for the announcement of the next RDTCC season somewhere'ish in the next week after the current season is finished. We'll be going back to our roots with the next one!

• Deleted member 387850

Stay tuned for the announcement of the next RDTCC season somewhere'ish in the next week after the current season is finished. We'll be going back to our roots with the next one!

Wow! I was wondering how often the leagues run as the archive seems to show one a year. It would be great if it was to start again so soon :thumbsup:

Sorry guys, but I have to resign. I've really tried to somehow manage and drive with one foot, since my left foot is broken but it's not working for me. It's a pity, because the Nordschleife race was one of the main reasons for me to sign up for this league but I feel like a risk to everyone around me on this mother of all tracks. Enjoy the race guys, I'll be watching you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 104 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 146 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 278 27.5%