2018 Formula One Russian Grand Prix

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
2018 Russian Grand Prix Discussion Thread.jpg

Welcome to the central discussion thread for the 2018 FIA Formula One Russian Grand Prix.

With the Grand Prix season heading into the final stages we head to the unpopular Sochi race track in Russia, an important event for Ferrari as they look to stem the flow of poor form and mistakes that have characterised the second half of the 2018 season.

Russia is a favourite of the Mercedes team, the Silver Arrows having won all four events of the modern era since the country returned to the Grand Prix fold in 2014, it will be a big task ahead of Ferrari if the Prancing Horse are to be in with a serious chance of victory on Sunday.

Session Report Links:

Last edited:
THURSDAY PRESS CONFERENCE

Russian Grand Prix Conference.jpg

Q: Marcus, Sauber announced this week that Antonio Giovinazzi will be racing next season but you’re going to be remaining with the team in 2019, so just give us your reaction to the news about what’s happening next year.
Marcus ERICSSON: Yeah, it’s obviously disappointing to be not racing. It’s all you want to do; you want to race. It’s not good news for me, obviously. Still, I’m happy to be able to continue my relationship with the team but then yeah, let’s see. I want to race still, so I’m looking at different options on how to keep doing that and looking at everything really, what I can do, in what series and what it could be – but it’s still a bit early. It’s quite fresh, this news, so I need to look at my options. Overall, of course, I would like to stay.

Q: You said on social media ‘it’s not the end of the story – just the start of a new chapter’ but does it feel like it’s the end of the Formula One chapter, in your eyes?
ME: No. My goal is still to come back into Formula One. I think for 2019 that’s not going to happen but hopefully after that there will be possibilities to come back. That’s still the goal, to come back to Formula One.

Q: Sergey, moving onto you next. You raced here in what was GP2 but this will be your first Russian Grand Prix as a Formula One driver – so it must be a special weekend for you.
Sergey SIROTKIN: It is. It’s going to be special, for sure. Obviously being here almost every year, since F1 came here, I raced here in GP2 but it’s all quite different form being here as a race Formula One Driver. I can feel it already now, it’s a lot of attention, a lot of support, which is very nice to feel as a driver, it’s very nice to feel especially in the situation we are this year. I mean, it’s a lot more activity, it’s a bit of… y’know… I would say it’s a bit more difficult to manage all of that but I mean, I try to get the best from it, I try to get energy from it and keep going. So, it is a pleasure to be here and race in front of the home crowd.

Q: That’s the specifics of this weekend – but more generally, do you know what you’ll be doing in 2019 yet?
SS: I definitely know what I want to be doing. I’m not sure I can guarantee something right here, right now, but, I mean, I think it’s quite obvious, with the way everything is developing, I think it’s quite obvious what I want and it’s something that should happen quite soon. Yeah, I have no guarantees right now, right here, but at the same time I’m not too much worried about the future, let’s say.

Q: Valtteri, this will be Sergey’s first grand prix here in Formula One and this was the scene of your first Formula One victory for Mercedes last year – so does it bring back special memories, returning to Sochi?
Valtteri BOTTAS: Definitely. You never forget the first time. It was a good memory and it will be nice to be back here. Strong track normally. I’ve had pretty decent races so in that way it’s a nice approach to the weekend.

Q: You had more wins after this win here during last season but 2017 was the last time you won a grand prix. How do you go about turning that around this weekend?
VB: No wins for me this year yet but there’s still a bit of the season left and I come here with only one thing on my mind and that is being on the pole and winning the race.

Q: Charles, you’ve a few weeks now to digest where you’ll be racing next year, and you called it a dream come true, to be moving teams. Can we ask, in those dreams, have you started thinking about your first grand prix victory yet?
Charles LECLERC: No, not yet, it’s still very far away. First of all, I have to finish this season on a high, which is for now the main importance to me. There are still six races to go, so I’ll first try to focus on that. Obviously, it’s a dream come true to be racing for Ferrari next year – but I’m trying to take it out of my mind to focus fully on the end of this season.

Q: Focussing on that then, what is it you want to do with Sauber in these final six races. What are the things you still need to learn and work on ahead of your move?
CL: I think you can always improve. To learn, I still think I can learn in everything. So there is still a lot to learn. The target for the end of the season is to try to keep our form. It’s not going to be easy, because, as the team already mentioned, we started to focus, or the team started to focus, on next year’s car and I believe some of the other teams are still pushing a little bit to gain some positions in the championship – so it’s not an easy situation to be in, but we will try to keep our form.

Q: (Scott Mitchell – Autosport) Question for Marcus. The confirmation that you would be reserve driver obviously followed pretty immediately after Sauber confirmed its driver lineup. So, it’s not like you had to face speculation in public about what you would be doing or if you would drive for another team. So, how much notice did you get have? How aware were you that was coming? And did you have much opportunity to look at maybe Williams for next year or staying in F1 in a race role?
ME: I think when Kimi signed, I think that was bad news for me. I was still hoping but then obviously over the past weekend I got the information that Antonio had signed for the other car. And then yeah, my management were looking around a little bit but we decided to continue with Sauber and the relationship there, which we think is important. And then yeah, we go from there basically.

Q: (Andrey Kirsanov – Sputnik News Agency) My question is to Sergey Sirotkin, to our champion. As you know, the last edition of Formula 1 in Singapore, Lewis Hamilton from Mercedes, he won this edition. So what are your expectations for this edition in Sochi, how are you preparing and who are your main rivals in this time?
SS: Tricky question because everybody speaks that we are coming here to Sochi and that it should be a special event and so on and so on, but at the end of the day, in terms of preparation, how you build up your weekend, how you prepare yourself and how you do all your work with the team, it doesn’t really change much at all. It doesn’t matter if you go to Sochi or you go wherever else, every time you try to do your job, you try to do it as good as you can. If I could do anything better than I could I would do it a long time ago, I wouldn’t wait for here. So, I wouldn’t say there is anything different. I wouldn’t say anything different in terms of our opponents or whatever. So yeah, again we just try to do the best from where we are and maximise the situation and I’m afraid that’s it.

And your main rivals?
SS: It’s exactly the same as any other single race. First of all I think we should look at ourselves because I think it’s that type of track where we can have surprises, in both ways, in a good way and in bad way, and depending on that it will put us either closer or further away from the teams we want to be fighting with, so it’s quite difficult to say. But there’s not much movement around the field now anyway, so I would say nothing is going to be much different from what we saw in, let’s say, the recent three, four or five races.

Q: (Valery Kartashev – Racing News Agency) My question is to everybody. In Singapore, Lewis Hamilton said his passion for music and the fashion industry helps him to stay motivated, so my question is: do you have something outside Formula 1 that helps you to stay motivated and recharge the batteries?
VB: Yeah, I think everyone definitely has some things they have time to do between the races. I think for me personally it’s been always… I love sports. It’s a way of staying healthy and a way of getting rid of stress that we can experience with this sport. If I have free time, which I didn’t really have since the last race, but if I have, it’s nice to see the family, friends that you don’t normally get to see. Personally, I love nature, so sometimes a proper escape to hiking or some mountains or something is nice.
ME: Yeah, I’m a bit the same like Valtteri. I enjoy sports in general. I recently opened a paddle centre, so I play quite a lot of that with my friend. I enjoy that a lot. And then, I’m an ice hockey freak, so I watch a lot of ice hockey.
CL: First of all, what motivates me is the results. To me, it’s just trying to work as hard as possible to get the best result possible then on track. Then what relaxes me is just staying with the family and friends in Monaco. Nothing special to be honest.
SS: I would repeat what Valtteri says. I mean most of my life is anyway dedicated to the cars, so anything related to that – I’m never really going far away from it. Again, some type of training. I do like also to stay with the family, to go to see some nature, to be as switched off as possible at certain points from racing. So nothing really much unusual I would say.

Q: (Livio Oricchio – Globoesporte.com) To all drivers, I start with Valtteri. You started third position and you became first before… at the end of the straight you got a good two from Sebastian, overtook him. And we saw this year also, Sebastian starting behind Lewis in Spa, the same situation; he overtook him after the starting grid and a long straight. Circuits like this, it’s interesting to maybe start from second position or even third rather than pole position?
VB: Yeah, it is tricky one here. It is an extremely long run into Turn 2. Last year I missed the pole by, I think, less than one tenth, which maybe in the end was good, I got a nice tow. But you also need a good start for that. I think still you would like to be on pole because from pole if you get a good start there is… I think if you look at the past, 2015 and 2016, who started on pole could keep the first place into Turn 2. It is a tricky one. Now I think there is a bit of resurfacing done, which affects position one and two. Normally when there is new tarmac it means there is more grip so potentially you would like to be in the first two places.

Last edited:
FREE PRACTICE ONE REPORT

Ferrari, Red Bull Set Opening Practice Pace.
Russian Grand Prix FP1 Vettel Ferrari.jpg

Sebastian Vettel pips Max Verstappen for fastest time in opening practice for the 2018 Russian Grand Prix.

A great start to the Russian Grand Prix weekend is exactly what Sebastian Vettel and Ferrari needed today as they look to recover a 40 point deficit to Lewis Hamilton and Mercedes this weekend, something that Vettel achieved in fine style as he and Ferrari topped the times in the opening practice session of the race weekend.

Behind Vettel would be the Red Bull of Max Verstappen in second, however Verstappen will be forced to start the race from further down the grid thanks to penalties applied to his Red Bull car, leaving the way clear for Ferrari and Mercedes to fight it out at the front of the field without further distraction from other teams.

New drivers for this session would be 2019 Sauber man Antonio Giovinazzi, subbing for Marcus Ericsson and producing a very solid result in tenth, over three tenths up on his highly regarded team mate Charles Leclerc, the soon to be Ferrari driver having a low key session in 14th overall.

Lando Norris would also be getting seat time today, the British Formula Two championship challenger making use of Fernando Alonso's car for 13th overall. Despite a spin mid session, Norris would end the day quicker than team mate Stoffel Vandoorne, hammering another nail in the coffin on the soon to be side lined Belgian driver as he fights to keep his Grand Prix career alive next year.

Further down the field local driver Artem Markelov would appear for Renault, taking a steady day of running to secure 15th place after 22 laps of running. The 24-year-old Russian heading home Force India reserve Nicolas Latifi in 17th, himself getting more seat time in the British squad as he looks to make a name for himself in the Grand Prix paddock.

Provisional FP1 Results:

Russian Grand Prix FP2.png

Last edited:
FREE PRACTICE TWO REPORT

Damn That's Fast - Mercedes Show True Colours in Russia.
Russian Grand Prix FP2 Hamilton Mercedes.jpg

Mercedes and Lewis Hamilton unleased ample raw pace during FP2 in Russia, causing plenty of sour faces in the Ferrari garage.

Lighting up the times in impressive style, Lewis Hamilton and Mercedes showed everyone the way on Friday afternoon with a dominant performance in Sochi - both silver cars taking the fastest times by almost half a second from the Red Bull Renault of Max Verstappen in third.

It would be a bad session for Ferrari in FP2 with neither car looking particularly quick during the session, Sebastian Vettel managing to salvage a disappointing fifth fastest time. Most telling would be the eye watering + 0.543 deficit to Hamilton at the head of the field - a gap that will be very difficult to overcome on race day if the Prancing Horse cannot find more speed come Sunday afternoon.

Further down the field Honda would impress in the back of the two Toro Rosso cars, the new spec until proving powerful enough to help the team earn a top ten result, Gasly managing a very solid eighth place as he put mileage on the new unit introduced by Honda as they ramp up development ahead of joining former champions Red Bull next season.

Other decent performances would come from Force India in seventh and ninth, plus the soon to be out of a drive Marcus Ericsson, the Swede showing more glimpses of good form as he secured tenth fastest time overall.

Provisional FP2 Results:

Russian Grand Prix FP1.png

Last edited:
FREE PRACTICE THREE REPORT

Mercedes Maintain Advantage Heading into Qualifying.
Russian Grand Prix FP3 Result.jpg

Lewis Hamilton and AMG Mercedes maintain their stranglehold on the Russian Grand Prix in the final practice session of the weekend in Sochi.

Can anyone challenge Mercedes? That is the question as the Grand Prix field head into qualifying this afternoon following yet another dominant practice session for the Silver Arrows.

Something about the Russian Grand Prix circuit this season appears to suit the 2018 AMG Mercedes Formula One car, and that pace advantage was evident once again in FP3 as both Lewis Hamilton and team mate Valtteri Bottas locked out the top two positions by over half a second from a despondent looking Sebastian Vettel in third - adding further woe to a Ferrari team that are looking increasingly unlikely to be able to take the fight to Mercedes in the World Drivers Championship this season.

With six tenths to make up, Ferrari are firmly on the back foot ahead of qualifying later this afternoon, however with a few overtaking opportunities it could still swing the way of the red team come race day on Sunday.

Behind Mercedes and Ferrari would be the Red Bull cars of Max Verstappen and Daniel Ricciardo, however both of the Renault powered machines will be forced to start lower down the field thanks to penalties, so the race looks very much like it should be a silver and red affair tomorrow, potentially compromising the chances of an entertaining race.... pray for rain folks...

Provisional FP3 Result:

Russian Grand Prix FP3.jpg

Last edited:
QUALIFYING REPORT

Bottas Continues Unbeaten Qualifying Record in Sochi to Grab Russian Grand Prix Pole.
Russian Grand Prix Qualifying result.jpg

In the five qualification sessions that have taken place at Sochi Valtteri Bottas has never been outqualified by a team mate, the Finn extending that record in fine style this afternoon.

Following a mistake on his final run Championship hopeful Lewis Hamilton would forfeit his attempt to take Pole Position for the Russian Grand Prix, ending the day a close second to team mate Bottas as Mercedes easily locked out the front row of the Sochi Autodrom street circuit this afternoon.

Bottas, securing only his second Pole of the season, would be in fine form all qualifying heading into the all important third and final segment of the session, keeping his cool to continue a remarkable record of having never been outqualified by a team mate in the five Russian Grand Prix qualifying sessions undertaken by the Finnish driver during his Formula One career.

Despite a mistake in the middle sector that could potentially have cost Hamilton a shot at the Pole, the British driver would still come away from the session satisfied with his work, Mercedes again showing considerably more pace than their rivals Ferrari down in third and fourth, putting the reigning World Champion in a strong position to challenge for the win on Sunday afternoon.

Qualifying today wouldn't be the most exciting session of the season it has to be said, with much of the field carrying penalties heading into the track action and electing not to enter the action once past the initial Q1 running, leaving much of the on track attention focussed towards the Mercedes / Ferrari domination at the head of the field.

Despite a disappointing hour of running, one or two drivers would shine outside of the front two rows, noticeably so for "best of the rest" Haas - Kevin Magnussen having a great duel with Racing Point Force India's Esteban Ocon and Sauber's Charles Leclerc for P5, a fight that would end with Haas taking the honours just two tenths ahead of Ocon, himself a further six thousands in front of Leclerc in seventh.

Rounding out the top ten would be the second Force India of Sergio Perez eighth, Romain Grosjean ninth and Marcus Ericsson taking a very decent 10th place finish.

Due to penalties, further down the field will be something of a star studded affair, with Red Bull duo Max Verstappen and Daniel Ricciardo due to start 11th and 12th, closely followed by a reasonable quick Renault in the hands of Sainz and Hulkenberg in 14th and 15th places - hopefully meaning a slightly more entertaining race than last time out in Singapore...

Provisional Qualifying Result:

Russian Grand Prix Qualifying.jpg

Last edited:
More and more I'm wondering why are they even doing interviews. For the amateur/casual, nothing important is said and for the more in depth follower/fan it's even less meaningful. It's a whole lot of nothing.

So what is the added value?

Don't blame the press conference for the drivers' lack of personality.

In addition, it's a good training session for yawns before one of the most uninteresting GPs of the year.

Pretty awesome that Russia just build the whole place! However i dont like those modern F1 tracks with 90 degree corners everywhere.

I just can't find it in me to give any ****s any more. F1 lost me this season, the first where I've not put the effort in to watch some live races. When cars can't follow each other there's nothing fun to watch. When drivers can't push because of the engine count, fuel, etc, there's nothing fun to watch. Nope, sorry F1 but you lost me in your quest to be green.

I just can't find it in me to give any ****s any more. F1 lost me this season, the first where I've not put the effort in to watch some live races. When cars can't follow each other there's nothing fun to watch. When drivers can't push because of the engine count, fuel, etc, there's nothing fun to watch. Nope, sorry F1 but you lost me in your quest to be green.
For how long did you watch F1? 2015 was the worst season by far i ever seen. This year is pretty good. If ever once you find it interesting or just the tech behind it you never gonna exit the circus. These are the fastest ever F1 cars by a long shot, that's alone amazing. + The tittle battle this year and races are usually great.
After 15 years of watching F1 im still watching almost every FP + Q too, not to mention the races.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back