2018 Formula One Chinese Grand Prix

The tables are turning. Ferrari has found som thecnological advantage that they are hiding behind that car, just like the blown diffuser advantage that Redbull(or was it Brown?) had in the past.
I'd say the other way round, though it's too early, it seems they have closed the technological gap to Mercedes and now the cars are near in terms of performance.
Today was a particular case: because of the colder temperatures Mercedes struggled in search of grip with ultrasoft, but I don't think there will be this gap in race.

Looks like benz is a bit unlucky until now...too cold this weekend and too hot last weekend.
Still that Q. result was kind of unpredictable...

Merc and Rbr are close, but with the Renault you will allways be the third party. Ashame Renault can't fill the gap! We have to wait for the new rules, and hope for a closer field, and not just 4 cars.:cry:

Seems like Mercedes doesn't have the same advantage like in previous seasons with their fuel
That advantage has been gone since the middle of last year.
Ferrari and Mercedes both have the same amount of power.
The difference is torque application.
The circuits with torque-band distribution over a wide range will favor Mercedes, as long as power-flow is not interrupted by lots of corners.
The tracks where all out acceleration and quick turning radii matter most will suit Ferrari.
I wouldn't be surprised to see Ferrari 'swamp' everybody this year at Hungary and Monaco and every other circuit with lots of corners.
China has a very long straight but the corners have massive radii.
That's where the time made by the Mercedes on straights can be overhauled by Ferrari and RBR.

Last edited:
That advantage has been gone since the middle of last year.
Ferrari and Mercedes both have the same amount of power.
The difference is torque application.
The circuits where torque-band distribution over a wider range matters most will favor Mercedes as long as that power-flow is not interrupted by too many corners..
The tracks where all out acceleration and quick turning radii matter most will suit Ferrari.
I wouldn't be surprised to see them 'swamp' everybody this year at Hungary and Monaco.
The main reason of Merc advantage last year was in their superior chassis aero efficiency, particularly the bottom, thanks to a longer wheelbase, it was producing so much downforce that has given the opportunity to run less rear wing (that produce a lot of drag) resulting in a very fast car both in terms of top speed and in the fast corners.
On the opposite Ferrari in the 2017 was like Red Bull with a shorter wheelbase and searching more downforce with an high raked setup.

The main reason of Merc advantage last year was in their superior chassis aero efficiency, particularly the bottom, thanks to a longer wheelbase, it was producing so much downforce that has given the opportunity to run less rear wing (that produce a lot of drag) resulting in a very fast car both in terms of top speed and in the fast corners.
On the opposite Ferrari in the 2017 was like Red Bull with a shorter wheelbase and searching more downforce with an high raked setup.
That aero was also a big part of it.
That advantage is now completely gone.

So far, the best news this season is from the USA.
Mother's Car Wax stepped up and sponsored the first ever TV (English language) commercial free race broadcast.
Now we can snooze in peace. Those TV ads were louder than the current F1 cars.

31.9 on softs, but 31.6 on ultrasofts ... theoritically it should be around 1 sec difference.

Maybe it's time for Mercedes to admit that they haven't solved yesteryear's diva's issues yet.

That aero was also a big part of it.
That advantage is now completely gone.

Whatever is the cause, they seem to have problems with the tyre heat generation uniformity.

Last edited:
Why not?
Ferrari seems to have quit the pace (very surprising after Australia, actually) and with Seb there's always the chance of a masterpiece. Only problem is Ferrari itself (everything but the car). If Mercedes doesn't step up their game, Ferrari might still fu*k up, but I don't think this will happen.

Why not?
Ferrari seems to have quit the pace (very surprising after Australia, actually) and with Seb there's always the chance of a masterpiece. Only problem is Ferrari itself (everything but the car). If Mercedes doesn't step up their game, Ferrari might still fu*k up, but I don't think this will happen.
It's a reality, Ferraris are strong this year. I'm not Ferrari fan or Mercedes fan. I just want epic race. Closer Mercedes and Ferrari are, better the show is !

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 402 16.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 274 11.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 260 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 190 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 317 12.9%