Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Canadian Grand Prix Discussion Thread.jpg

Welcome to the central discussion thread of the 2018 FIA Formula One Canadian Grand Prix.

One of the best tracks on the Grand Prix calendar, a place of speed, danger and... overtaking opportunities, the Canadian Grand Prix at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve rarely misses the opportunity to provide a spectacular example of Formula One racing at its very best.

With plenty of drivers out to prove a point as the season nears the half way mark, this could end up being a classic battle between Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull as the fight for top honours continues to hot up at the head of the field.

Session Report Links:

Last edited:
Canadian Grand Prix Thursday Conference.jpg

THURSDAY FIA PRESS CONFERENCE - DRIVERS – Valtteri BOTTAS (Mercedes), Lance STROLL (Williams), Stoffel VANDOORNE (McLaren), Max VERSTAPPEN (Red Bull Racing)

Lance, it’s your home race and a very busy week for you, but you must be very excited to be back racing in Montreal?
Lance STROLL:
Absolutely. It’s great to be home. I really enjoyed my week, catching up with friends, family. It was a bit of a busy week, a lot going to, but great to be home and can’t wait to jump in the car tomorrow.

Obviously you had a bit of a tough time in the last race in Monaco. How does Williams go about bouncing back from that weekend, both here and moving forward this season?
LS:
It’s a very different kind of circuit here in Montreal. We learned from what wrong in Monaco and it’s a long year. Moving forward, we’ve analysed a lot of our weaknesses and we’re working on how to solve them.

Max, it was a tough Saturday for you in Monaco, but a better Sunday. So did you leave the last race with a few positives to take from the weekend?
Max VERSTAPPEN:
Yeah, I enjoyed the race. I had a good battle with Stoffel as well. He was not giving me a lot of room, which was good to see. Yeah, I got back into the points, you know, starting last, so I definitely enjoyed myself on Sunday.

After the race on Sunday there were some comments from the team that maybe a change of approach might benefit you. What does that really mean and will we see a change of approach from you?
MV:
Well, you know, I get really tired of all the comments of me, that I should change my approach. I will never do that, because it’s brought me to where I am right now. After a race, it’s not the right time to talk. So everybody who has those comments, I don’t listen to it anyway. I just do my own thing. Of course, the beginning of the year so far it hasn’t been going so well, not in the way I liked it. A few mistakes, I think especially Monaco and China, but it doesn’t make sense to keep talking about it, because I get really tired of it. Yeah, it just feels like there are no better questions out there than to keep asking me about what happened in the previous weekend. So yeah, I’m just focusing on what’s ahead. I’m confident that I can turn things around. You know the speed is there. I’ve always been quick, every single weekend. It would be much of a problem if I was really slow, because that’s a critical problem.

Thank you very much. Valtteri, Monaco was described as damage limitation for Mercedes by Toto Wolff, but it was probably slightly more competitive than maybe the team expected. Does that mean that maybe you’ve ironed out some of the weaknesses in the car? And you’ve traditionally been strong here, so do the strengths remain in place?
Valtteri BOTTAS:
Definitely Monaco was tough. We always knew that it could be, and that it could be a really strong circuit for Red Bull and Ferrari. So yeah, I think it was damage limitation and we were more or less matching the performance we estimated, or even slightly below. It definitely highlights all the weaknesses we have in the car. The car is definitely not designed for Monaco. The car is designed for most of circuits to be quick, including this one. So at least last year, if the trend stays similar, that we were weak in Monaco and good here, I hope so, because it was a really good for us and hopefully we can have a good weekend here.

Just on a personal note for you, if you had have won the race in Baku you would have been leading the Drivers’ Championship. Now, two races later, you’re 42 points off the championship lead. Do you feel you have had the returns you deserve this season so far?
VB:
Well, I don’t want to think about too far behind. Those are the points we have now and I need to deal with it, we need to deal with it, as a team. So, I’m also just really looking ahead. It’s still very early in the season, anything can happen, and I hope I have had my run of bad luck for the year and that things can turn around. There’s no point really in stressing about it. I just want to keep going. I want to win races and I’m sure it will come.

Thank you. Stoffel, similar to Valtteri really. The statistics say that Fernando has got the better of you in qualifying and the races so far this year, but do you feel that tells the whole story of your performance?
Stoffel VANDOORNE:
No, I don’t think it tells the whole story. Obviously, the statistics tell maybe that, but I think in reality we are very, very closely matched. In terms of where I was last year, I feel I’m in a much better position this year. I think things have not always gone my way. We lacked a little bit of luck on some occasions. And some occasions Fernando was just the quicker one as well, which is normal. I think we are going in the right direction. The team is moving forward. We’ve obviously had a tough start to the season. There were a lot of expectations on our team and we’ve not managed to perform as expected. So we keep improving race after race and hopefully this weekend we can show we made another step forward.

The team was managing to pick up points with both cars at the start of the season, but the last couple of race that seems to have tailed off a bit. Can you tell us why that is?
SV:
Yeah, it’s been a little bit of a difficult period. I had a retirement in Spain and then Fernando had a retirement in Monaco. Obviously that was not ideal, but I think we are still very close in this midfield and one weekend we are a bit stronger than another one. The last couple of races have been difficult tracks for us as well in terms of overtaking. I think this weekend is a different story again. It’s a new weekend, this track is completely different to the other ones and hopefully should provide us some opportunities.

QUESTIONS FROM THE FLOOR

Q: (Andrea Cremonesi - La Gazzetta dello Sport) Question for Bottas and one for Verstappen, about the engine. We know the Mercedes engine is not here, the update is not here, so I would like to know how do you feel, if you have a big handicap or not. And for Max, I think that you will use the new engine, I would like to know what you expect from the upgrade?
VB:
We were initially expecting to bring the new power units to this race, which would have been a small gain compared to the old one. We found some issues so, just to be safe we need to make it perfect and hopefully run it in two weeks. For sure the new one would have been a little bit better – but it's not like our old engine, the phase one, is a bad engine. It’s a good one and it’s still healthy. It’s been reliable, so no concerns on that. We’re also planning to use it again later this year in Budapest – but now, instead of that, we’re going to use the new one in Budapest, so I think it’s going to be a small penalty. Obviously would have been nice but that’s how it is.

Max?
MV:
Yeah, I expect a little bit more horsepower – but yeah, we’ll see on track how it’s going to perform but, of course, it’s always good to get an update.

Q: (Heikki Kulta – Turun Sanomat) Valtteri, you have always liked Canada. How much more would you like it if you would be the third ever Finnish winner here?
VB:
Yeah! Definitely always liked it here. I love the track; I love the place and I’ve normally had pretty decent races here so we want to do that again as a team and me personally. Of course, winning here would mean a lot – like winning every race for me.

Q: (Jonathan McEvoy - Daily Mail) To Max, why have you had so many accidents?
MV:
I don’t know. And, like I said in the beginning of this press conference, I get really tired of all the questions, so… yeah… I think if I get a few more I’ll head-butt someone.

Q: (Francois-David Rouleau – Le Journal de Montréal) You were talking about your car in Monaco, can you please elaborate what went wrong over there and how could you improve the car this week in Montreal?
LS:
It was just a frustrating weekend start to end really. Never really… yeah… I wasn’t really able to dial in and I never felt like I had the car under me to be able to piece everything together. Sometimes those weekends happen. It’s a very unique track kind of track also. I think Monaco is a one-off event and it’s really important to really have the confidence to push the car and I never felt like I got to that point in Monaco – but it was one race. I felt much better in all the other races, so I’m turning the page here this weekend and looking forward to Montreal.

Q: (Bill Beacon – Canadian Press) For Lance. There are reports you will be signing a new contract with Williams at some point soon. How do you feel your progress has been in your second year – and are you looking forward to getting a new deal with them?
LS:
I’m not aware of the contract. To be honest, I’ve just been focussed on driving the car and getting the most out of myself every weekend. But yeah, it’s been a frustrating start for all of us. As a team, we’re not where we want to be – but in many ways it’s also been very positive in my view. Even though it might not show in terms of results, due to where our package is today but I feel like in many ways I’ve made a big step over the winter. Looking back at where I was last year. And, it’s a very long year. Formula One’s a marathon so I’m looking forward to the rest of the season. Hopefully we can turn things around and pick up some more points and go on to have a great rest of the season.

Q: (Dan Knutson – Auto Action and Speedsport) A contract question for you, Valtteri: how do you deal with this contract in limbo? Do you just ignore it and get on with the job or do you talk to people or what do you do?
VB:
Yes, during the race weekend especially, just ignore it, focus on the job, that’s always the best thing to do and when the time is right, then between the races ideally you start to speak with the team but the time is not quite yet but I have no worries or no pressure on that. I feel I’m in a good place and everything between me and the team has been very positive, we’re making good progress together all the time, so just need to continue and we will see a little bit later on.

Q: (Maxime Sarrasin – 98.5FM) Lance, first of all: do you know, 40 years ago Gilles Villeneuve made history with his win around here in Montreal, so how do you see your race… all the festivities surrounding the anniversary of that win?
LS:
Yeah, I mean it’s a bit before my time but no, it’s great to be here in Montreal. Reflecting on last year, I had a great race here, first points in Formula One and I’m looking forward to this year. The whole weekend last year was very emotional and I’m really just looking forward to this year and it’s always great to be home. It’s definitely the most special weekend of the year for me.

Q: (Andrea Cremonesi – La Gazzetta dello Sport) Following the question for Max, do you think that with the upgrade, looking maybe at the simulation you have at Milton Keynes, it’s possible in the end to match Mercedes and Ferrari in Q3?
MV:
I don’t think so but we will be a little bit closer, hopefully.

Q: (Arjan Schouten – Sportwereld) Max, you were talking a lot about only focusing on the next week, on the next race. How does that process work after Monaco? Is that only a case of clearing your head and looking forward or speaking a lot with people like your father and team principals?
MV:
It’s not really a process. You’ve done that Grand Prix, yeah, you go back to the team, you analyse everything and you speak to family, friends, whatever but I know very well what can be done better and what was good and you try to put that in place for the next Grand Prix.

Q: (Phil Duncan – Press Association) At the risk of being head-butted, Max, I was just wondering do you think you can explain why you have had more crashes this year? Because you’ve had more than you’ve ever had in your Formula One career so far. It seems a legitimate question to ask.
MV:
I don’t think so, just two which were my fault but I had, for example, three in one weekend in 2016 in Monaco. It’s not that dramatic as people say it is. Of course, I haven’t scored the points which I should have scored but that was not only my fault. Could have been better, but everybody makes it so dramatic.

Q: (Francois-David Rouleau – Journal de Montreal) Lance, what’s your degree of confidence about your engine this weekend, because it’s a really rough track for the engine here in Montreal?
LS:
Yeah, every track has their challenges. Montreal has its challenges. Yeah, do everything we can to walk away with a good result.

Q: Yeah Lance, Mercedes delaying the upgraded power unit affects Williams as well; could you just give us your reaction to that?
LS:
That’s the situation we’re in, all the Mercedes-powered teams are in the same boat. It’s not ideal but that’s the nature of the sport so we’ll do what we can with what we have but there’s still definitely a lot of opportunity and there’s no reason why we can’t do a good job here in Montreal.

Q: (Jon McEvoy – Daily Mail) Max, how much would you like to win here, to draw a line under the ups and downs of the season?
MV:
I like to win every single Grand Prix. It’s not that before it was different, so I approach this as I always do.

FREE PRACTICE ONE REPORT

Verstappen and Red Bull Surprise in Free Practice One
Canadian Grand Prix FP1 Report.jpg

Red Bull put the new Renault PU to good use as they top out the opening practice for the 2018 Canadian Grand Prix.

In something of a power dependant circuit it would prove to be a rather surprising name that topped the Formula One practice times on Friday morning, with Red Bull and Max Verstappen performing a near perfect session of running to head out the times by just under a tenth of a second from AMG Mercedes and Lewis Hamilton, the strong form of the Austrian team backed up by Verstappen's team mate Daniel Ricciardo in third, a further tenth adrift of the his Red Bull team-mate.

With less than half a second covering a top six comprising of both Red Bulls, Ferraris and Mercedes cars, the first practice session for the 2018 Canadian Grand Prix certainly gives an early indication that the epic Gilles Villeneuve circuit could once again serve up a potentially thrilling Grand Prix on Sunday.

Before we get too excited it is worth nothing that Mercedes, who finished second and fifth it should be remembered, were the only top team not to use the softest, and theoretically fastest Hypersoft tyre, setting their times on the slightly more durable Supersoft, which could present something of a reason to lose sleep tonight for the Red Bull and Ferrari outfits if outright pace remains the same heading into qualifying tomorrow.

Despite the tough and unforgiving nature of the circuit it would be a relatively trouble free opening session for many of the drivers, with just Nico Hulkenberg's Renault causing a delay thanks to stopping out on track with an electrical issue, leaving a somewhat hilarious radio exchange as the team attempted to talk the German driver through a series of options to restart the stricken motor...

Williams continued to have a nightmare season, not helped any by home driver Lance Stroll making contact with the infamous 'Wall of Champions' to bring his running to an early end, the impressively eyebrowed one having to limp his Williams back to the pits with a rear puncture .. not a great start to his home Grand Prix...

Provisional FP1 Results
  1. Max Verstappen - Red Bull Racing TAG Heuer 1:13.302 26
  2. Lewis Hamilton - Mercedes 1:13.390 +0.088s 29
  3. Daniel Ricciardo - Red Bull Racing TAG Heuer 1:13.518 +0.216s 24
  4. Sebastian Vettel - Ferrari 1:13.574 +0.272s 19
  5. Valtteri Bottas - Mercedes 1:13.617 +0.315s 31
  6. Kimi Räikkönen - Ferrari 1:13.727 +0.425s 28
  7. Fernando Alonso - McLaren Renault 1:13.900 +0.598s 27
  8. Carlos Sainz - Renault 1:14.116 +0.814s 24
  9. Stoffel Vandoorne - McLaren Renault 1:14.311 +1.009s 19
  10. Pierre Gasly - Scuderia Toro Rosso Honda 1:15.004 +1.702s 31
  11. Esteban Ocon - Force India Mercedes 1:15.071 +1.769s 29
  12. Romain Grosjean - Haas Ferrari 1:15.119 +1.817s 21
  13. Marcus Ericsson - Sauber Ferrari 1:15.386 +2.084s 30
  14. Charles Leclerc - Sauber Ferrari 1:15.439 +2.137s 30
  15. Kevin Magnussen - Haas Ferrari 1:15.579 +2.277s 21
  16. Brendon Hartley - Scuderia Toro Rosso Honda 1:15.756 +2.454s 38
  17. Sergey Sirotkin - Williams Mercedes 1:15.768 +2.466s 30
  18. Lance Stroll - Williams Mercedes 1:16.259 +2.957s 16
  19. Nicholas Latifi - Force India Mercedes 1:17.145 +3.843s 28
  20. Nico Hulkenberg - Renault 3

Last edited:
FREE PRACTICE TWO REPORT

Verstappen Again as Red Bull Continue to Show Top Form
Canadian Grand Prix FP2 Report.jpg

Max Verstappen would again prove to be the man to beat in Montreal, the Dutchman making it two from two in opening practice for the Canadian Grand Prix.

Anyone expecting a Mercedes whitewash at the Canadian Grand Prix this weekend might just have to reassess their expectations if Max Verstappen has anything to do with it, the Red Bull driver once again proving to be in superb form as he continues his clean sweep of fastest times during the opening day of running at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve.

Verstappen would perform faultlessly once again in his Renault powered Red Bull, lapping the impressive Canadian circuit 39 times in order to record a lap just over one tenth quicker than the second placed Ferrari of Kimi Räikkönen, himself a further 3 tenths up on a troubled Daniel Ricciardo, the Australian having spent much of the session in the garage as work was undertaken on the other Red Bull machine.

After a rather steady opening session this morning, the afternoon would be set to provide plenty of action on circuit, not least of which would come courtesy of the Renault of Carlos Sainz, the Spaniard having a sizeable moment that resulted in some rear end damage thanks to the Montreal walls, bringing a temporary halt to the session as the yellow car was cleared away after proving unable to move under its own steam following the spin into the turn 7 wall.

Another driver in strife would be Stoffel Vandoorne, the Dutchman keen to impress at a track where McLaren have been surprisingly competitive this weekend. Unfortunately life would get hard for Vandoorne rather quickly after the young driver made contact with the turn 9 wall, causing some serious damage to the rear suspension and ending his day early on a weekend where McLaren really need to capitalise on their strong form displayed so far.

Provisional FP2 Results
  1. Max Verstappen - Red Bull Racing TAG Heuer 1:12.198 39
  2. Kimi Räikkönen - Ferrari 1:12.328 +0.130s 42
  3. Daniel Ricciardo - Red Bull Racing TAG Heuer 1:12.603 +0.405s 17
  4. Lewis Hamilton - Mercedes 1:12.777 +0.579s 39
  5. Sebastian Vettel - Ferrari 1:12.985 +0.787s 24
  6. Valtteri Bottas - Mercedes 1:13.061 +0.863s 40
  7. Romain Grosjean - Haas Ferrari 1:13.620 +1.422s 34
  8. Esteban Ocon - Force India Mercedes 1:13.747 +1.549s 40
  9. Sergio Perez - Force India Mercedes 1:13.754 +1.556s 40
  10. Fernando Alonso - McLaren Renault 1:13.866 +1.668s 30
  11. Charles Leclerc - Sauber Ferrari 1:13.884 +1.686s 39
  12. Brendon Hartley - Scuderia Toro Rosso Honda 1:13.889 +1.691s 42
  13. Kevin Magnussen - Haas Ferrari 1:13.956 +1.758s 39
  14. Nico Hulkenberg - Renault 1:13.967 +1.769s 37
  15. Marcus Ericsson - Sauber Ferrari 1:14.108 +1.910s 41
  16. Stoffel Vandoorne - McLaren Renault 1:14.167 +1.969s 14
  17. Carlos Sainz - Renault 1:14.433 +2.235s 9
  18. Pierre Gasly - Scuderia Toro Rosso Honda 1:14.486 +2.288s 39
  19. Lance Stroll - Williams Mercedes 1:14.703 +2.505s 40
  20. Sergey Sirotkin - Williams Mercedes 1:14.782 +2.584s 35

Last edited:
FREE PRACTICE THREE REPORT

Verstappen Does a Ricciardo With Three from Three as Canadian GP Practice Ends
Canadian GP FP3.jpg

Max Verstappen remains unbeaten at the end of three closely fought opening Free Practice sessions for the Canadian Grand Prix.

Surprising everyone in the Grand Prix paddock once again, 20-year-old Max Verstappen would produce another sublime performance to head the times in the third and final Free Practice session of the Canadian Grand Prix weekend, putting the underpowered Red Bull atop the times on a circuit traditionally known to favour those with the most straight-line speed - something of an achilles heel for Red Bull in recent seasons...

Whilst Verstappen continued his perfect weekend at the front of the field, Mercedes remained out of sorts despite bolting on a set of the theoretically fastest Hypersoft tyres, the best efforts of the Silver Arrows going to championship leader Lewis Hamilton in fourth, behind both Ferraris as well as the seemingly untouchable Verstappen out front.

Sadly for Stoffel Vandoorne the session would be slightly more dramatic, the young Dutchman came to Canada with high hopes of challenging team mate Alonso in qualifying and race this weekend, pushed too hard and looped the car round at a dangerous part of the circuit. The Dutchman would eventually get going again without serious damage, but the spin will surely dampen some of that new found confidence of putting one over on a team mate embarking on his 300th career Formula One weekend.

Williams would again have a session to forget, the embarrassing former championship winning team firmly planted at the foot of the field, perhaps now regretting having two rubbish drivers in their car this season?

Provisional FP3 Results
  1. Max Verstappen - Red Bull Racing TAG Heuer 1:11.599 14
  2. Sebastian Vettel - Ferrari 1:11.648 +0.049s 22
  3. Kimi Räikkönen - Ferrari 1:11.650 +0.051s 21
  4. Lewis Hamilton - Mercedes 1:11.706 +0.107s 23
  5. Daniel Ricciardo - Red Bull Racing TAG Heuer 1:12.153 +0.554s 29
  6. Valtteri Bottas - Mercedes 1:12.255 +0.656s 27
  7. Sergio Perez - Force India Mercedes 1:12.903 +1.304s 16
  8. Nico Hulkenberg - Renault 1:12.946 +1.347s 21
  9. Romain Grosjean - Haas Ferrari 1:13.014 +1.415s 16
  10. Stoffel Vandoorne - McLaren Renault 1:13.034 +1.435s 21
  11. Esteban Ocon - Force India Mercedes 1:13.064 +1.465s 18
  12. Brendon Hartley - Scuderia Toro Rosso Honda 1:13.076 +1.477s 24
  13. Fernando Alonso - McLaren Renault 1:13.225 +1.626s 19
  14. Carlos Sainz - Renault 1:13.331 +1.732s 22
  15. Pierre Gasly - Scuderia Toro Rosso Honda 1:13.334 +1.735s 19
  16. Charles Leclerc - Sauber Ferrari 1:13.452 +1.853s 19
  17. Kevin Magnussen - Haas Ferrari 1:13.488 +1.889s 21
  18. Sergey Sirotkin - Williams Mercedes 1:13.818 +2.219s 18
  19. Marcus Ericsson - Sauber Ferrari 1:13.925 +2.326s 20
  20. Lance Stroll - Williams Mercedes 1:13.968 +2.369s 17

Last edited:
QUALIFYING REPORT

Viva Vettel - 54th Career Pole Secured in Canada
Canadian Grand Prix Quali.jpg

Sebastian Vettel pulled out all the stops today to secure his 54th career Pole Position, beating the impressive Bottas Mercedes and weekend star Max Verstappen in third.

The surprises keep on coming in Montreal, with Ferrari finding pace from seemingly nowhere to come home in first place at the end of a tense qualifying session for the Canadian Grand Prix. Having been a weekend that was seemingly all about Max Verstappen and Red Bull, Sebastian Vettel would prove all his worth to the Ferrari team with a sublime lap to take Pole Position late in the session, winding up under a tenth ahead of not Lewis Hamilton but team mate Valtteri Bottas in the Mercedes, with Verstappen eventually forced to settle for a still very respectable third on the grid for the race on Sunday.

Ferrari could well have enjoyed two cars at the sharp end of the grid was it not for a mistake from Kimi Räikkönen at the start of his final flying lap, the Ice Man rueing his mistake as he will now be forced to settle for an unrepresentative fifth on the grid tomorrow.

If Räikkönen felt hard done to at the end of the session it would be nothing compared to Haas Ferrari driver Romain Grosjean, the Frenchman not even managing to make it out of the pitlane as his Ferrari PU let go in spectacular fashion right at the beginning of the session, leaving the talented but luckless Frenchman starting from the back of the grid in a race where team and driver felt a top ten to be very much on the cards this afternoon.

With the times so very close at the head of the field, any one of the top six drivers could easily be in contention for a big result tomorrow afternoon...

Provisional Qualifying Results
  1. Sebastian Vettel - Ferrari 1:11.710 1:11.524 1:10.764 18
  2. Valtteri Bottas - Mercedes 1:11.950 1:11.514 1:10.857 20
  3. Max Verstappen - Red Bull Racing TAG Heuer 1:12.008 1:11.472 1:10.937 16
  4. Lewis Hamilton - Mercedes 1:11.835 1:11.740 1:10.996 21
  5. Kimi Räikkönen - Ferrari 1:11.725 1:11.620 1:11.095 20
  6. Daniel Ricciardo - Red Bull Racing TAG Heuer 1:12.459 1:11.434 1:11.116 18
  7. Nico Hulkenberg - Renault 1:12.795 1:11.916 1:11.973 15
  8. Esteban Ocon - Force India Mercedes 1:12.577 1:12.141 1:12.084 14
  9. Carlos Sainz - Renault 1:12.689 1:12.097 1:12.168 15
  10. Sergio Perez - Force India Mercedes 1:12.702 1:12.395 1:12.671 13
  11. Kevin Magnussen - Haas Ferrari 1:12.680 1:12.606 22
  12. Brendon Hartley - Scuderia Toro Rosso Honda 1:12.587 1:12.635 17
  13. Charles Leclerc - Sauber Ferrari 1:12.945 1:12.661 22
  14. Fernando Alonso - McLaren Renault 1:12.979 1:12.856 14
  15. Stoffel Vandoorne - McLaren Renault 1:12.998 1:12.865 14
  16. Pierre Gasly - Scuderia Toro Rosso Honda 1:13.047 8
  17. Lance Stroll - Williams Mercedes 1:13.590 8
  18. Sergey Sirotkin - Williams Mercedes 1:13.643 10
  19. Marcus Ericsson - Sauber Ferrari 1:14.593 6

DNS Romain Grosjean - Haas Ferrari

Last edited:
RACE REPORT

Perfect Race for Vettel and Championship Lead Retaken
Canadian Grand Prix Race.jpg

Sebastian Vettel had a perfect race on Sunday, leading from lights to flag as the Ferrari man retakes the championship lead from Lewis Hamilton.

With Hamilton struggling home to a disappointing fifth place, Vettel and Ferrari would retake the championship lead by a single point in Canada, maximising an event where Mercedes were initially expected to dominate thanks to the speed advantage held by their powerful AMG Mercedes PU.

Vettel would prove himself to be peerless throughout the action on Sunday, making a near perfect start and never receiving a challenge from behind, always holding just enough time in hand to keep Bottas and Verstappen at bay whilst holding enough tyre and brakes should the Ferrari man need an additional burst of speed later in the race.

Behind a rather static front three would be a moderately interesting fight between Daniel Ricciardo and Lewis Hamilton, Ricciardo suffering from a lack of pace relative to his team mate whilst holding off Hamilton to the flag, ending what would still remain a decent day for the Milton Keynes based Austrian team.

Further down the field and just inside the points would be another outstanding performance from young Sauber rookie Charles Leclerc, the brilliant Formula Two champion once again outperforming his machinery for his fourth points finish for the season in 10th, again adding to his rapidly raising star in Formula One, and leaving many to wonder if a Ferrari seat in the next couple of seasons is becoming an every increasing certainty for one of the brightest talents in Formula One in 2018.

Outside of a sizable accident for home driver Lance Stroll and the under pressure Brandon Hartley on the opening lap, the Canadian Grand Prix certainly won't go down as a classic Formula One Grand Prix by any stretch of the imagination. With some surprising pace for Red Bull, a great result for Ferrari and a slightly off key Mercedes, one thing is for sure, the 2018 Formula One World Drivers Championship is very much game on heading into the eighth round of the season next time up in France...

Provisional Race Result
  1. Sebastian Vettel - Ferrari 68 1:28:31.377 25
  2. Valtteri Bottas - Mercedes 68 +7.376s 18
  3. Max Verstappen - Red Bull Racing TAG Heuer 68 +8.360s 15
  4. Daniel Ricciardo - Red Bull Racing TAG Heuer 68 +20.892s 12
  5. Lewis Hamilton - Mercedes 68 +21.559s 10
  6. Kimi Räikkönen - Ferrari 68 +27.184s 8
  7. Nico Hulkenberg - Renault 67 +1 lap 6
  8. Carlos Sainz - Renault 67 +1 lap 4
  9. Esteban Ocon - Force India Mercedes 67 +1 lap 2
  10. Charles Leclerc - Sauber Ferrari 67 +1 lap 1
  11. Pierre Gasly - Scuderia Toro Rosso Honda 67 +1 lap 0
  12. Romain Grosjean - Haas Ferrari 67 +1 lap 0
  13. Kevin Magnussen - Haas Ferrari 67 +1 lap 0
  14. Sergio Perez - Force India Mercedes 67 +1 lap 0
  15. Marcus Ericsson - Sauber Ferrari 66 +2 laps 0
  16. Stoffel Vandoorne - McLaren Renault 66 +2 laps 0
  17. Sergey Sirotkin - Williams Mercedes 66 +2 laps 0

NC 14 Fernando Alonso ALO McLaren Renault 40 DNF 0
NC 28 Brendon Hartley HAR Scuderia Toro Rosso Honda 0 DNF 0
NC 18 Lance Stroll STR Williams Mercedes 0 DNF 0

Last edited:
A bit reluctant to call a winner as we have three drivers with two wins apiece, and they are from three different teams. And none of the tracks thus far are very similar to Montreal. I'd love to see a fourth driver emerge, and it would be awesome (although improbable) to see a fourth team. I'm tempted to pick the Mercedes but won't vote until after practices are done

lol poor Max

One second he says he takes no notice of comments, next minute he is going to headbutt anyone asks again p

Can I just add, if Micheal had said the same thing, some would want him arrested :laugh:

Last edited:
It'll be a toss up between LH & SV, will depend on race strategy & a little luck, although I'd prefer DR to grab the win, but is not really feasible due to the lack of pace from the RB14 on these power tracks.

Lewis tyre :geek: 2 level harder ,they will be better on ultra, but don't forget they are s***t on Hypers... he did lose time only at S3 (almost 0.440s) which are the long straights while he was almost matching max and kimi's S1 and S2 with his 2x harder tyre and that was weird
screen058.jpg

screen063.jpg

Attachments

• screen058.jpg
    screen058.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 467
  • screen058.jpg
    screen058.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 397
Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?