2018 Formula One Australian Grand Prix (Discussion Thread)

Stunning lap from Lewis. You'd think they would run 'party mode' on their first run in Q3 as well though and he found 8 tenths.

Definitely warmed up my enthusiasm for the season since yesterday. Should be closer in the race. Nice to see Kimi ahead of vettel - Kimi is good around here but you have to wonder if that was a case of vettel just not delivering the lap of maybe Kimi finally has a Ferrari that suits him.

Other than that I have to say I'm not the biggest fan of the new TV graphics... The font is not very easy to read and the tower on the left with the times etc the writing is too small and maybe a bit too much info makes it hard to read. The graphics at the bottom of the screen ok though.

As for halo it doesn't really have any impact for me I'm used to it already after watching just this 1 session. What they maybe could do if they really want to nail the cameras is have cams in all the helmets so you can actually get a driver's eye view. They had them for the shakedown runs after all before pre-season testing so it is possible and I think indycars do it.

Looking forward to the race tomorrow

Last edited:
Lewis say's it was not down to party mode. Just a stunner, it was the first lap in the whole of quali he it all apexes so he may be right.

Not even interested what's going on in the top 3 teams, the fun is among best-of-the-rest, my eyes on Haas.
Magnussen p5, hope he can take it home tomorrow!

Bottas...Bottas...stop trying to beat Lewis, your job is to beat the Red cars and the cars with Red written on them......
You could just roll around and get 2nd place....just stop, you were hand picked because you are a mid pack driver talent but who was 'safe'..........and you granted you possibly don't get the benefits Lewis gets with engine power etc (like in Brazil)...but Merc know that car can be 2nd place all day long with pretty much any top level driver.....hence Toto's reaction......
So Bottas, just aim to be 2nd.....FFS..... no harm in that........

Bottas...Bottas...stop trying to beat Lewis, your job is to beat the Red cars and the cars with Red written on them......
You could just roll around and get 2nd place....just stop, you were hand picked because you are a mid pack driver talent but who was 'safe'..........and you granted you possibly don't get the benefits Lewis gets with engine power etc (like in Brazil)...but Merc know that car can be 2nd place all day long with pretty much any top level driver.....hence Toto's reaction......
So Bottas, just aim to be 2nd.....FFS..... no harm in that........

Not so sharp(e)...

• Deleted member 113561

And me of Mansell from 1992 season.
It has not that much with Ham (although he's one fast lad no doubt about that) but with Mercedes itself. Bottas would be easy second. Sadly, he chose the wall.
I wouldn't be so sure about it, but I guess we will see the next 4 races :)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 313 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 213 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 209 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 157 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 272 13.5%