2018 24 Hours of Le Mans - Toyota on Pole Position

What happened to the Aston Martins in GTE Pro, did they forget to take out the sandbags?
For the #95 Thiim’s teammate totally wrecked the car a few days ago. So they had to build a totally new car from scratch in 6 days. But now it completely lacks top speed. So it’s a sitting duck on the straights. And it’s the question if they can sort problems out for tomorrow. Which is quite disappointing as I would like to see Thiim battling for GTEpro podium. But on the other hand, you never know... It’s Le Mans after all! :cool:

For the #95 Thiim’s teammate totally wrecked the car a few days ago. So they had to build a totally new car from scratch in 6 days. But now it completely lacks top speed. So it’s a sitting duck on the straights. And it’s the question if they can sort problems out for tomorrow. Which is quite disappointing as I would like to see Thiim battling for GTEpro podium. But on the other hand, you never know... It’s Le Mans after all! :cool:
Its horrible everywhere though, its 10kmh off the ford on the straights but its also is bad in the corners, it needs some bop help asap. Aston have managed to make a car slower then the one it was replacing, the old aston was already the slowest car of the bunch and was given the most assistance via bop.

I admire Alonso, but it gets a bit tiring to see his name everywhere. Nakajima qualified the #8 Toyota and Buemi is not a tourist either.

Toyota is not in a different position as Audi a few years ago or "legendary" Porsche years when they had a dozen 962 against weak competition or a couple of 917 or 936 against nobody at all. I understand the BoP with privateers takes fuel burn into the equation, so perhaps the margin they seem to have after qualification is not that big. Anyway even just a battle between #7 and #8 on Sunday could be great. In the worst case, there will be a big Porsche vs Ford fight in GT Pro.
That is what F1 does today... they are the most famous ppl on earth... I am getting sick of this too.

But on the other hand, you never know... It’s Le Mans after all! :cool:

Very true. One thing I did notice last night. Although the Porsches were fast, I was surprised the number of spins/mistakes they were having. Which makes me think the car is fast but tricky on the limit. Which is not always something you want for a 24 hour race!

Also after the nasty accident in the first session I'm hoping the #47 makes the start. Worrying though as it seems the car took off on entry to the first chicane. The car is wrecked but driver is ok which is the main thing.

lemans-24-hours-of-le-mans-2018-crash-47-cetilar-villorba-corse-dallara-p217-gibson-robert.jpg

lemans-24-hours-of-le-mans-2018-47-cetilar-villorba-corse-dallara-p217-gibson-roberto-laco.jpg

It's not Alonso's fault that people use his name to get some extra clicks.
Well, since F1 is no longer real to me, therefore it doesn't exist, WEC is the only chance this year to see the cursed maestro drive. No wonder people are clamouring over him and forgetting the fact that Nakajima actually set the pole lap :roflmao:

Last edited:
I think they will. Nick Daman, pit lane reporter at Radio Le Mans, visited their garage towards the end of qualifying last night, and they were hard at work rebuilding the car. He sounded confident in them being able to get it ready to race :)

Nice one, yeah I need to adjust the timing a little if I want to listen to RadioLeMans (which I prefer in all honesty). I watch via the app (plugged into the TV) which is great but it's sometimes frustrating that the commentary team talk about everything but what's actually happening on the track! :rolleyes::laugh: At the moment the internet radio is about 30 seconds behind what's happening on screen but the Radio Le Mans team are just far superior in coverage and what's going on at the time.

Well, since F1 is no longer real to me, therefore it doesn't exist, WEC is the only chance this year to see the cursed maestro drive. No wonder people are clamouring over him and forgetting the fact that Nakajima actually set the pole lap :roflmao:
If Alonso is (would be) really that good/better, he should be at least a second faster than both the other 2 drivers, but it wasn`t... so you can see who is "better" faster driver LOL.

Don`t you worry, Toyota will not win it anyway, you˙ll see. I hope for some Rebellion too.

It will be interesting to see how the race goes, the privateer LMP1's have had a difficult time of it so far in the races and testing. I think the Rebellions will be the only cars to possibly make it trouble free.

There is one thing I've noticed, it hindered them badly at Spa and it looks like it might be the same here. The design of the head protection and the layout of the cockpit is making it difficult for the team to make a quick driver change. At every stop at Spa they were still strapping in the driver when the rest of the pitstop was finished. So at every change they were losing ten seconds or so to the leaders.

I noticed last night they were still having some trouble with the practice stops, they were better but it was taking an age to get the driver strapped in.

Before it wouldn't be an issue but as they are now allowing fuel and tyres at the same time the pit stops are far quicker.

Last edited:
If Alonso is (would be) really that good/better, he should be at least a second faster than both the other 2 drivers, but it wasn`t... so you can see who is "better" faster driver LOL.

First or all, being fast in Le Mans in one lap means nothing.

Second, Toyota is a Japanese brand and obviously wanted their Japanese drivers to fight for pole.

Third, as good as Alonso is, he is still a rookie in both the circuit, the category and the car. You must be a fool if you expect him to just come and beat experienced drivers that have been in this car for several years.

A fool, or an Alonso hater. Or both :)

Last edited:
Like they have any true competition? The worst LeMans ever, based on the comeption in the strongest series (1 team 2 cars, LOL - it`s more like competing against by your self).

But... based on the Toyota`s history here at LeMans, you know what we can expect .... :)

Again someone who forgot the years of Audi R8 winning year after year against no opposition.

Or is it just because it was Audi, that means it's ok?

Maybe we as a society have grown less tolerant of utterly dominant performances over the years. I was young at the time, but I remember actually enjoying Schumacher's 5 year reign in F1. Of course it helped that red is a favourite colour of mine (ironic that I loved Ferrari then and hate their guts now), but motor racing has always had disparity in non-spec, non-BoP leagues, yet only in recent years does it seem to be a red hot issue.

Correct me if I'm wrong about this.

Sorry Mitja, but what a stupid logic is this?
If Alonso on his second race isn't at least 1 sec faster then the fastest LMP1 drivers in their own category, then he isn't fast enough?
What would you say with that? LMP drivers are much slower then F1 drivers and Alonso is slower then other F1 drivers? Doesn't make any sense.
I think it's very early to say anything about his pace, we should discuss that after a few race.

I hate this buzz (changing the calendar etc.) also, but I don't think Alonso or Toyota could be blamed for this situation. They have invested billions in to a race team, should they have stopped it, because VW Group have to spare?

Also after the nasty accident in the first session I'm hoping the #47 makes the start. Worrying though as it seems the car took off on entry to the first chicane. The car is wrecked but driver is ok which is the main thing.

Yhea, that was a nasty accident. Fortunately Sernagiotto is fine. They should be ok for the start too.

I'm hoping for the best for them! They are a great team. I'll never forgot when they let me get inside their box to follow the practice with them at Monza.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back