2018/19 Formula E Nissan Revealed at Geneva Motor Show

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Nissan Gen2 Formula E Car 8.jpg Nissan Gen2 Formula E Car 11.jpg Nissan Gen2 Formula E Car 66.jpg Nissan Gen2 Formula E Car 77.jpg Nissan Gen2 Formula E Car 22.jpg Nissan Gen2 Formula E Car 44.jpg
Nissan reveal concept livery for debut Formula E season at the 2018 Geneva Motor Show.

Formula E is nothing if not an opinion dividing racing series but one thing is for sure, manufacturers are jumping onto the electric racing bandwagon at a hefty pace, the latest of which is Nissan who revealed their concept livery on the rather impressive looking new era of Formula E electric racing single seat racing car.

"Nissan is proud to be an innovator in electric vehicles on the road with the Nissan LEAF completing more than four billion zero-emission kilometers around the world*, said Jose Munoz, Chief Performance Officer, Nissan Motor Co., Ltd. "Now, we want to bring that EV expertise to motorsport. The new Formula E car is being shown live in public for the first time this morning, and we're very excited to reveal Nissan's livery for our debut. The ability for Nissan to use this championship as a key development platform for our EV technologies and to be able to race in major city centers around the world makes it a perfect vehicle for us to showcase Nissan Intelligent Mobility."
Taking over the slot once occupied by sister company Renault, Nissan will make their FIA ABB Formula E debut in time for the 2018/19 racing season, marking the very first time a works Japanese outfit has contested this still relatively young racing series. At the time of writing no drivers have been confirmed for the two car Nissan squad, however with strong ties to the Renault team and a Formula E title to his name, current Renault Formula E driver Sebastien Buemi remains a strong favourite for one of the seats with the new team, despite his current role with arch rival Toyota in the World Endurance Championship LMP1 division of the top tier endurance racing series.

Exciting times for Formula E fans ahead...

For more from the world of motorsports, check out the Motorsport Sub Forum here at RaceDepartment - go on, get involved in the conversation now!

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

RaceDepartment YouTube
RaceDepartment Twitter
RaceDepartment Facebook
RaceDepartment Twitch
RaceDepartment Instagram

Do you like the new Formula E design and/or Nissan livery? Do you think Formula E has a long term future as a viable motorsport series? Is the influx of manufacturer involvement a good or bad thing for the series? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
That RC car looks awesome, i wonder if fits in my backpack... i always want it a RC car sad that i'm poor!
But for real, looks awesome looking forward to Formula E!

Formula E is nothing but a publicity stunt and the only reason manufacturers want to be apart of it is because it has a feel good vibe about it and thats good press. To be honest though what are the manufacturers even providing to the series apart from sponsor money, I mean they dont build or develop the car. As for everything else Formula E is utter trash, cars are trash, tracks are trash, and the racing is trash. I wish it would die but its not going too anytime soon.

Indycar seems to be the only open wheel series that knows what its doing.

• Deleted member 113561

[...] As for everything else Formula E is utter trash, cars are trash, tracks are trash, and the racing is trash. I wish it would die but its not going too anytime soon. [,,,]
That opinion shows you are the trash around here, not Formula E.

Actually, ALL of the manufacturers involved in any series that purports to demonstrate their commitment to 'Clean Green Electric Vehicles' are so hypocritical it's not remotely funny.
If they are serious how about they cease building and selling environmentally unfriendly barges.
Counting the number of fat gas guzzling and expensive 'Sport Utility Vehicles' on our roads is a good indication of the cynicism behind the facade of a series such as Formula E, Nissan build huge numbers of these 'Toorak Taxis' that only see suburban road action, as do Mitsubishi, Ford, GM, Dodge, Mercedes, Porsche, BMW, Range Rover........the list goes on and on.
Much to my intense disgust the two biggest selling vehicles in Australia for the past couple of years have been Ford and Toyota 'trucks'.
Consider for a moment the impact of the 'SUV', heavy fuel consumption, greater use of raw materials including rubber, cluttering up already crowded urban roads and parking space etc.
Until manufacturers who are touting their 'E Car' projects such as FE then this is all just BS.
:mad:

That opinion shows you are the trash around here, not Formula E.
Why dont you try to prove me wrong instead of just directly insulting me. Your telling me you actually like watching follow the leader races around square tracks with chicanes everywhere. Occasionally you see the suicidal dive bomb here and there since that is literally the only move they can use.

Why dont you try to prove me wrong instead of just directly insulting me. Your telling me you actually like watching follow the leader races around square tracks with chicanes everywhere. Occasionally you see the suicidal dive bomb here and there since that is literally the only move they can use.

Formula E has its issues that need to be resolved, no doubt about that. But isn't that exactly what this car represents? The longer range opens the opportunity for better tracks, higher speeds are almost guaranteed to make the racing more exciting and the new look is a welcome change from the 'formula look' that has been around for decades.

Yeah you could say Formula E is trash. But this car tells us they are working on improving it, and that it could develop into a truly exciting branch of motorsport. Quitting wouldn't solve anything. Give it time to mature and I'm sure it will become a sport truly worthy of following.

• Deleted member 113561

And you insulted everyone at Formula E and all of its fans ... but suddenly you just forgot that.
Your behavior reflects who you are ...

To the topic if Formula E is trash:
There is plenty of action around the track, aswell as strategic opportunities - exactly what racing makes exciting and why people are watching.
Square tracks? Chicanes everywhere, so no normal corners? I don't see any on the actual calendar.
Yes there are more dives in this series than ie. in Formula 1, but suicidal is none of these dives and many of the dives simply happen because the driver behind does not lift at that moment to save energy (going for the overtake) as opposed to car infront - it looks like a dive but most of the time it is not a normal dive but a side effect of that much energy saving.

I don't have a problem that it is just simply not what you like to see, calling it trash because of that is bullshit though. Your behavior reflects who you are ...

• Deleted member 205301

one word : it electriks me !!!!!
@++

nice hybrid between formula and prototype design. at any rate far more exciting and coherent design than the current batch of formula one or the intensely ugly lmp1s. the racing so far has been below par, but maybe with these machines having a bit more umpff tracks will get wider and turns less boxy so we might actually see something a bit more fluent, so far it has been a very itsy bitsy tiny kind of racing, including the weird "change of cars" in the middle of the session. All in all: looks promising, looks like a good step ahead.

The reason the car looks like this it's made for close combat at narrow tracks.
It's missing the regular spoiler at the back, but got biggest diffuser i ever seen on a openwheeler in return. It's even allowed to have some contact between cars, that's why they looks a bit more robust.
Still not my cup of tea, but who knows where this goes in a few years from now.
Now get rid of those large 15 diesel generators to charge the cars during the weekend. ;)

Last edited:
It's true that before e-racing could be more seriously taken(same way as conventional racing) they need to able to get out on proper tracks and drive normal distance races with faster speeds. On the other hand that will happen at some point, in the future we have e-racecars which race in Le Mans, Spa etc just like present conventional cars.

I remember filling out the WEC survey. One possible answer to one of the questions was something like "I would actively protest any Formula E race being held near me." I selected that one.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 355 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 249 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 243 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 178 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 302 13.3%