2017 Indy 500 Discussion Thread

The whole events before the race with military, a priest, the anthem etc reminded me somehow of a satire rather than reality. However, the racing is good and that's why I'm watching.

As a public service announcement of sorts, let me just say a lot of us Americans find the pre-race ceremonies to be a bit much (even to the point of being a tacky caricature).

I think it's more of a reflection of:

(1) as Cosmic pointed out, it's Memorial Day and patriotism reaches near-peak pitch this weekend (easily rivaling July 4th).

(2) the themes of the pageantry still looks very natural the core racing fan demographic in the US.

The racing is good though! :)

Reactions: F_B
*Me, after Hunter-Reay's engine failed*
- Well, I hope Alonso's engine won't follow suit

*Two minutes later*
tenor.gif

Looks like Alonso enjoyed himself. Never been a dedicated fan if him, but it's good to see this positive attitude.

I'm a fan now. I think it takes some balls to do what he did and he did a great job. I havent been this excited for a race in a while so hopefully it encourages even more F1 champions in the future (going for the triple)

I think it is fun to see Sato win, but I think as a general rule hard core Indy fans are gonna lose their **** over this, as it's gonna fuel the "it's all just a matter of luck nowadays" narrative.

• Deleted member 6919

Alonso outstanding effort, shame Honda let him down again..huge fan of Sato very happy for him to win this great race.

Happy for Sato.
He's always come across as a very humble and gracious driver.
Loved watching him drive the Jordan years ago in F1.
Alonso did a great job and was saving fuel.
He was just about to go on the attack... and BOOM!
Let down by a Honda power-plant....yet again..
Thousands of miles removed from Monaco and yet....same unreliable gremlins.

Last edited:
I think people will be irritated that Sato (1 win in 8 seasons) won the biggest of them all. The irony is that luck has always been a huge component of racing (especially so on an oval).

As an European who enjoys American Football more than soccer it seems to me there's an interesting similarity. In F1, the car that gets away into the distant front has the advantage, just as the soccer team leading the first half can change their strategy to play it safer.

Whereas in both Indy (being a draft race finish, fuel savings etc...) and the NFL, you can't stop fighting to the end. It certainly makes for a more enjoyable overall experience.

@nhill40:
What if Chilton has won it (he almost did!) would "people will be irritated" then? Or what if rookie has won (he could he was 3rd for God's sake) and, should I remind you, last year Indy was actually won by a rookie !?!
Sato is perhaps not Emerson Fittipaldi but he's was always fast (even in proper F1 car back then) and has a lot of experience so... I don't see what is your problem with him, not at all... :alien:

Only my third watching of the Indy 500 but it did appear a little like that to me. Good performance gets you into the front 10, yellows and restarts can place you down easily so the later you lead, the better your chance?
It's about performance, racing skills and tactics. And the tactics is what makes me more and more biased to Indycars than F1. Monaco today was a disaster and a shame for F1. As good as no racing actions and only some politcal driven tactics where the teams screwed both Raikonen and Verstappen.

No, give me the action and the show around Indycars and Nascar. Those typical over the top ceremonials are just entertaining to watch. A bit too much indeed as @nhill40 stated. But the total lack of any ceremonial here in Europe is maybe more concerning... But that's my personal view on it. :cautious::p;)

@gamer19, I think you really misunderstood me - I enjoyed seeing Sato win. I think the unpredictability of the 500 is what makes it so much fun!

My complaint is with the contingent of Indy fans who will want to complain about this like they did last year with Rossi (I thought last year's finish & outcome was thrilling, but I definitely felt like I was in the minority of people holding that opinion).

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 559 17.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 379 11.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 341 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 243 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 390 12.1%