2017 Formula One American Grand Prix

AP8805290320.jpg

Indianapolis is a good example.
Compare before and after 1993.

I'm not sure I get your point, this shows Danny Sullivan in the Penske-Chev and Derek Daly driving a March-Buick at the 1988 Indy 500.
Why?
:thumbsup:

I'm not sure I get your point, this shows Danny Sullivan in the Penske-Chev and Derek Daly driving a March-Buick at the 1988 Indy 500.
Why?
Compare the 1988 picture with this one, taken roughly in the same spot. Notice the difference in run-off on the inside of the turn. The asphalt on the other side of the grass is the acceleration lane exiting the pits.
bbc156a9128bf96e6155058369d1448e.jpg

I think the grass verge might have been required when the US GP was run at Indianapolis. (I think?)
And I'll correct myself, Danny Sullivan drove the 'other' Penske, Al Unser Snr is the driver in this shot.

I kinda disagree in the case of COTA: COTA is already one of the widest tracks out there, and making the insides of corners harder to cut (just the insides!) won't affect the racing in the way that it does in Suzuka.

I mean, I also get why the modern tracks are the way they are, there's multiple advantages there: In no small part it's simply easier to remove a crashed car from the track with all that runoff, which means you have to neutralize the race less (compare the Dubai 24h to the Spa 24h and you'll see what I mean there). But the corner Max cut? Some astroturf there wouldn't go amiss imo.
Yeah, they could make a few changes in that corner, I'll give you that. Problem is, it'd be an extremely dangerous place to lose the car, so I still doubt they would consider it.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back