2015 McLaren MP4-30

Not a bad combination of the West/Vodafone liveries. Pretty disappointing considering the hype of the Honda return and so forth though. There's no way the old Marlboro livery would return, but going with a white, red and possibly even orange car with a different design would have been refreshing. Force India have done a better job of making a McLaren-esque livery than McLaren have. :p.
why not, of course they could do the Marlboro style paint job, they just don't put any wording to do with Marlboro on it. It has nothing to do with them its just a livery that has no intention of being branded along with Marlboro its the Japanese racing colours as well red and white so they could say its that ;) well Japanese racing colours is white with the red sun but still ;)

I would have thought McLaren would have dropped the silver paint scheme like a hot potato now that the association with Mercedes Benz has finished. Maybe should have gone with the Honda racing colours to some degree at least.

Can't help looking at the current design and still thinking Mercedes. :O_o:

The car itself doesn't look too bad, an improvement on last year me thinks. Be interesting to see how it goes with the Honda powerplant bolted into the back of it.

Something along the lines of these might have looked a bit tasty on the grid this year, :) just if nothing else to help brighten the grid up a little too....a splash of colour so to speak.

2.jpg

mclaren-honda.jpg
2015-McLaren-Honda-F1-car-597x316.jpg

from the article:
McLaren on Thursday launched its works Honda-powered MP4-30 on the internet.

The British team contradicted reports of a dramatically new white or black livery by showing the 2015 car in McLaren's customary silver, with more pronounced red from the tip of the sleek nose to the cockpit.

Last edited by a moderator:
why not, of course they could do the Marlboro style paint job, they just don't put any wording to do with Marlboro on it. It has nothing to do with them its just a livery that has no intention of being branded along with Marlboro its the Japanese racing colours as well red and white so they could say its that ;) well Japanese racing colours is white with the red sun but still ;)

Because the actual livery design of the Marlboro days comes directly from a pack of Marlboro Reds back in the 80's.

Look at a top view of cars with that livery, and compare them with this:

marlboro_red_by_nixxp-d3jneqv.jpg

And now you see why the exact livery can't return in this age of no tobacco advertising. :)

This doesn't mean that couldn't have made a red and white livery with a different design, but instead they have gone with a safe, bland design.

Because the actual livery design of the Marlboro days comes directly from a pack of Marlboro Reds back in the 80's.
And now you see why the exact livery can't return in this age of no tobacco advertising. :)

This doesn't mean that couldn't have made a red and white livery with a different design, but instead they have gone with a safe, bland design.
Like I said it can be similar, or maybe I didn't but it can be similar and be red and white, also soon aren't tobacco packets soon going to be just a plain grey packaging or is that just in the UK
I'm living on hopes and dreams of seeing red and white mix coming back here :p

Just something to think about with McLaren using silver, lets not forget that Bruce McLaren was a New Zealander, and silver is a colour that they use in sports (although black seems to normally be thought of first)
so while everyone is mentioning that the silver is due to Mercedes, it could also just be paying tribute to McLaren's roots...?

What you can tell is that McLaren completed 79 laps of testing at Jerez, compared to the top teams all going over 250 and Mercedes a staggering 500+. What you can definitely expect is a hard start for McLaren, so livery issues are the least of their problems (although admittedly it would be one problem less ;P ). Mercedes will once again reign supreme, with williams, ferrari, and redbull playing catch up.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 269 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 180 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 180 10.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 132 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 236 13.4%