2015 Formula One Monaco Grand Prix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seb Scott

Formula 1 Reporter
Monaco.jpg

The streets of Monaco play host to the 73rd Monaco Grand Prix and 6th round of the the Formula One World Championship this weekend. Modern cars and drivers will race round a circuit that has remained relatively unchanged since the first Formula One Grand Prix took place here in 1950.

Monaco is regarded as the jewel in the crown of Formula One, attracting A list celebrities from all over the world, and with the racing happening in the streets of a small coastal city centre on the French riviera, it’s hard to believe there is a Grand Prix taking place here. Free Practice 1 and 2 happen on a Thursday, due to the circuit being used as a public road even during the Grand Prix weekend. Only GP2 and Formula Renault 3.5 races run on a Friday morning, with the circuit open to the public from 14:00 local time. Even a Grand Prix won’t stop Monaco, which is what makes this race so amazing. On Thursday the likes of Jenson Button, Lewis Hamilton, Fernando Alonso and Sebastian Vettel will be seen dialing in their car as they fly around La Rascasse into Anthony Noghes - the finals turns of the 3.4km circuit. After the 20 cars have finished their first two practice sessions, you can sit down outside a restaurant with a meal and ice cold beer in the exact spot where on the very next day, the greatest racing drivers in the world will qualify for one of the toughest races of the year.

Monaco is regarded as a home race for a lot of drivers, including Nico Rosberg and Lewis Hamilton, the former grew up and went to school here, so for him this really is a home race. Rosberg has an opportunity this weekend to seal his name in the history books along with the likes of Senna, Graham Hill and Alain Prost by winning the race for the third time in a row, sure enough Lewis Hamilton will do everything within his power to stop him. Hamilton himself will be hoping to earn himself a second Monaco victory after winning in 2008 for McLaren. Pole position is crucial for the race, as even if there are no accidents and the Gods don't open the heavens, it is incredibly difficult to over take here. Drivers will celebrate pole like a win, as it cements their chance of winning more than any other race on the calendar.

Tyres are more important here than at any other circuit, due to the circuit's demand for mechanical grip. The average speed is so low, tyres are just as - if not more - effective than aerodynamic grip. Pirelli are introducing a brand new supersoft tyre compound for this weekend (this is the first race using the supersoft this season), which they are saying has a higher resistance to blistering and graining without sacrificing the extraordinarily high grip it has to offer. The track surface is the least abrasive of the year; so where in some cases where the supersoft would burn up after 2 or 3 laps, the soft and supersoft could go quite a bit further, which is evident from last years race winning strategy with Nico Rosberg taking the win with a one stop strategy.

Manor will pay a heart warming tribute to Jules Bianchi this weekend, by wearing red wristbands bearing the words 'MONACO 2014. P8. #JB17’. Bianchi scored the teams first and only points in Formula One by finishing eighth, but was handed a 5 second timed penalty for serving a penalty during a safety car which placed him in ninth position. Bianchi is currently still in hospital in his home city of Nice following his harrowing crash at the 2014 Japanese Grand Prix. #ForzaJules

It should be an exciting race weekend as Ferrari, following the Barcelona test, say they have made good progress with their updates, which at first both drivers didn't take to very well at the previous round in Spain. Mercedes still remain the team to beat, as they look to continue their dominance with Hamilton having been given the 1st option on qualifying for Q3 which was determined on a “coin toss”. Hamilton seems to be in good spirits as he has spent the past 2 weeks in Monaco, and has just signed an extension on his Mercedes contract to keep him with the team until 2018.

Stat Attack:
  • The Supersoft and Soft Compound selected with the expected performance gap between each tyre compound to be around 1.0 to 1.1 seconds a lap
  • This is the 73rd Monaco Grand Prix.
  • Track consists of 19 corners - eleven right and eight left - and is 3.340km around one lap
  • Nico Rosberg driving for Mercedes won the 2014 Monaco Grand Prix.
  • Pole lap record: Sebastian Vettel (Red Bull) 1:13.556 (2011)
  • Fastest Lap record: Michael Schumacher (Ferrari) 1:14.439 (2004)
  • Weather: sunshine all weekend with highs of 15 (rain expected), 18 (rain expected) and 19 for Thursday, Saturday and Sunday respectively, all temperatures in degrees celsius. Note Free Practice takes place on Thursdays instead of Fridays here in Monaco
  • 1100 tonnes of grand stands
  • 622 marshals
  • 743 fire extinguishers
  • 21km of safety rails
  • 700m of Tecpro barriers
Who would you like to see take the race win this weekend? Do you want to see a wet race? Will Kimi finally break his poor qualifying run and position himself in a better race position after qualifying?

The most overrated track on the F1 calendar. (Yes, I know that isn't the popular opinion)
It is more about the event and the legacy in this case and I think the most exciting part is the one that can do the "perfect" quali lap.

There will be a new lap record set this weekend....Reason, the track has been shortened by 2m, this means that the lap record has been reset so another one of Schumachers records rides off into the sunset

Has it? I know the Tabac-corner is slightly changed, but I thought I read that it wouldn't mean any differences to the length of the circuit.

Will be extremely fun to watch this, as I was there last autumn, and walked the track. And while I didn't have an ice cold beer, I had a (extremely) overpriced pasta and a coke, and sat on the pavement where Rosberg lost control of his car in 2014.
Also had to take a picture of the Marussia Dealership that was on the outside of the Fairmont Hotel Hairpin (formerly Grand Hotel Hairpin) - but I can't seem to find any of the pictures now.

Anyone watched the drivers conference?
In the press questions there was a question from racedepartment.com. :)

That came as a surprise for me. :D
I didn't expect that too :D

Q: (Sebastian Scott - racedepartment.com) Lewis, signing your three year extension, did you factor in the possible technical changes for the 2017 rules - or did that not really bother you?

LH: No, of course. It'd be very silly if I hadn't taken that into account. That's generally what you have to do every time you go into… you think about the future, you think about the long run, and naturally, as I said, when I joined this team, I knew where the team was going to, the plans and changes that we're making to get to where we are now. I would, of course, analyse where the team plans to go, moving forwards -that's why it was quite an easy decision.

I just read the article and luckily I found out why the free practise was today.
Oh, and I saw the new layout, in fact it gives you the impression as if
the track is longer than before but it sure is much more swift.

CFeCRu5WIAA1eLe.png

pretty clear who's up s**t creek without a paddle in terms of Engine I would say everyone bar Mercedes powered cars, the reason I include Ferrari powered cars is because apparently if you want to make an engine upgrade you have to take out a new engine therefore after Canada Ferrari powered cars will be on 3 as they are supposed to be bringing an engine upgrade to that track

Fernando Alonso on interview with Swedish/Norwegian TV after the qualy today did sum up the Monaco race weekend easy: ''Saturday is the day the race end, Sunday is a big train of cars driving around Monaco''

bull**** by the stewards. Alonso gets a penalty for tapping Nico wide at Mirabeau. Ricciardo gets nothing for tapping Kimi at Merabeau.
:thumbsdown:

other than that, Lewis was really mad there, 100% rightfully I'd say

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 137 13.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 103 10.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 96 9.3%