2014 TUDOR United SportsCar Championship

Bram Hengeveld

Site Founder
Staff
Premium
I have just been watching the highlights of the 12H of Sebring on MotorsTV and I am flabbergasted by the incredible amount of incidents.

Is this the serie that was advertised as the endurance cup of the americas? Horrible driving standards and a lot of very dangerous incidents by especially the "bronze" drivers.

Thank <insert holy name of choice> no fatal accidents happened.

I have just been watching the highlights of the 12H of Sebring on MotorsTV and I am flabbergasted by the incredible amount of incidents.

Is this the serie that was advertised as the endurance cup of the americas? Horrible driving standards and a lot of very dangerous incidents by especially the "bronze" drivers.

Thank <insert holy name of choice> no fatal accidents happened.
I watched a good bit of the race on the live streams and the commentators were saying drivers had been tweeting that the track was very slick conditions and were the hardest they had ever seen.It reminded me of rf2,maybe its not so unrealistic after all.:D

The first vid does show how the cars were struggling with grip as he picked up a massive push and put it into the tires.Not really a stupid moment but a driving error.

Well... It was an interesting wrecking party to watch...

A bit like public online racing in the glory days of rFactor or Race07, actually.

I agree that the driver standards seem rather bad and that rejoining driver in the Ferrari should have his racing license revoked, that kind of mistake is actually very dangerous and inexcusable actually as he had full control of the car and good line of sight on rejoining.

Also, the conspiracy theorists may lean towards the differences in driver standards may be by choice, crashes are big entertainment for Joe Average and yellow flags sell beer and tools (commercials). So action is what producers like...

As for me, i think it is just a really bad case of pay/connections drivers without proper racecraft and routine.

New series format however so it may improve.

I LIVE in the United States, and I'm still struggling to find even highlights of this race. :cry: (i usually only watch highlights, not full races) .... Finding footage of this race here where it's happening is RIDICULOUSLY difficult, let me tell you :devilish: .... not even the official website :(
From what I'm reading, I somewhat cringe at watching it.

However, being American, I must point out that perhaps the incident level is cultural -- drivers and teams not-with-standing
As @Richard Eriksson said:
Also, the conspiracy theorists may lean towards the differences in driver standards may be by choice, crashes are big entertainment for Joe Average and yellow flags sell beer and tools (commercials). So action is what producers like...
I mean, this is the home of NASCAR, where crashes are expected, and we say, "If you ain't rubbin', you ain't racin'."
Now, I'm not saying I subscribe to this, but I would kinda like to compare it to our expectations in our online racing.
It seems to me that we're actually looking for races with fewer incidents than those that professional drivers generally run ... I can't think of a race I've watched where there weren't incidents.
Again i quote Richard:
A bit like public online racing in the glory days of rFactor or Race07, actually ...

(ALERT! ... perhaps the following is ranty)
I guess there's two things I'd like to mention in relation to this.
First is the standards we hold ourselves to in online racing. It's an excellent thing!! Respect foremost, plus the realization that, not actually being in real cars, we can only push the edge so far.
However, I sometimes wonder if actual racing suffers a bit from people being .. dare I say .. 'too' polite? .. Especially in relation to ceding position in corners.

Second .. The level of and concern about safety in modern racing.
Is it going too far these days? Prohibiting technologies that push the edge of the edge in favor of "safer" racing? .. i mean, isn't the edge of the edge where true, deep racing really happens?

Now, no one wants to see anyone die pursuing ... well .. anything!
BUT! Our safety technologies these days are such that ridiculous crashes are more than survivable, they're often no more than minor injuries!!!
So why not LET the technologies back in? Give the drivers the tools and let THEM judge the edge?
^^ Ranty, sorry :p

Point being, is it really a bad thing if incidents are occurring? Doesn't that mean the drivers are really pushing the limit and gettin down to gritty racing?
Maybe I'm just more 'American' than I realize, but I enjoy teeth-baring battles as much as I enjoy gentlemanly battles :cool:

Is this the serie that was advertised as the endurance cup of the americas? Horrible driving standards and a lot of very dangerous incidents by especially the "bronze" drivers..
I find myself in the position of ONCE AGAIN apologizing for my country Bram. :thumbsdown:
However, please consider my points above. Initial events of series are often the most chaotic. :cool:

@Vaughn Stegeman
Well i personally agree that some racing these days are a bit too clinical and ordered, and in dire need of some hard racing battles (despite not being an american).

The problem with the above clips is that they portray something miles from that... To have enjoyable banging and grinding hard racing you would have to have drivers that get away with it, due to skill and talent. The clips above show a different kind of banging and grinding, more due to lack thereof i am afraid :)

I think that Sebring went so badly because there were WAY too many cars on the track.... (Except in the last ~5 hours when literally 10+ cars were gone) I even tweeted, "@Turnermotrsport @IMSA @UnitedSportCar There's a reason why @24heuresdumans only runs with 56 cars......"

But yeah, Matteo Malucelli (458 driver) should have his license suspended after that..... And some of the "gentleman drivers" (although that's not a very good description anymore....) should lose their rides....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzrnHlJy9Bc

Video is long, but in the beginning theres a nice phone chat with driver Memo Gidley about his injuries sustained in one of the horrific shunts. Footage of the hit is in start of video... That is a NASTY hit.

Broken leg
Broken elbow
Shattered heel
Back injuries

Damn... Also when seeing the hit again... Why on earth is the slower car not moving onto the grass, seeing as speeding racers are coming up from behind 3 wide?

What does exist in american road racing however is the magnificent tracks... American road tracks are very old school and not as clinical as the european tracks these days. Reminds me a bit of the golden old years...

They have huge drops, uneven roads, wrong cambered turns and usually run through nature scenery.

So it's a bit sad actually, that the racing turned out to be so so...

What does exist in american road racing however is the magnificent tracks... American road tracks are very old school and not as clinical as the european tracks these days. Reminds me a bit of the golden old years...

They have huge drops, uneven roads, wrong cambered turns and usually run through nature scenery.

So it's a bit sad actually, that the racing turned out to be so so...
Yeah, we do have some pretty awesome tracks :D

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 76 12.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 54 8.9%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 63 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 36 5.9%
  • < 5 years